Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Minecart damage sounding a little too good?  (Read 11500 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart damage sounding a little too good?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 11:20:48 pm »

You can issolate your mine cart loading station from the rest of the track with either a cliff, since mine carts will continue rolling on a track when they land (a roller or ramp on the land site may be necessary), or a pond, since mine carts can go under water.

I'd be no harder to get enemies to stand on the track than getting them to stand on a trap, though mine carts should work against trap-avoid creatures.

Since the cart can land and keep going, I could see something like in Indiana Jones where the boulder rolls down from above. Have your carts shoot out from one z level above the rear of the main entrance corridor. If its only one tile wide they might not even be able to dodge.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 11:49:28 pm »

Yep, though you'd need to send carts through water if you want to protect against flying creatures.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 05:58:18 am »

A minecart cannon would be a useful weapon against Titans.

Plus everything described here:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/matthaywood/main/Warwagons.htm
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 06:51:35 am »

There are several things that can make minecarts stupidly effective weapons.
1 - How much weight can they hold inside and is it infinite and loaded cargo increases potential damage.
2 - Can we set up tracks to cause minecarts to gain speed indefinitely.
3 - Can we use levers to direct wagons.

If 1 is true then Minecart gauss cannons are possible.
If 2 is true Minecart gauss cannons are possible.
If all 3 are true then it will be glorious to watch as the unstoppable force turns clowns into clouds of gibs at the switch of a lever.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 04:20:25 pm »

Who would care about HFS syndromes when the only things at risk are minecarts, which probably can't get sick?

Pff, you forget that wagons were implemented as creatures. I look forward to blind, vomiting minecarts with bruised wheels trundling into my hospital for some much needed rest and recuperation.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 06:58:48 pm »

There are several things that can make minecarts stupidly effective weapons.
1 - How much weight can they hold inside and is it infinite and loaded cargo increases potential damage.
2 - Can we set up tracks to cause minecarts to gain speed indefinitely.
3 - Can we use levers to direct wagons.

If 1 is true then Minecart gauss cannons are possible.
If 2 is true Minecart gauss cannons are possible.
If all 3 are true then it will be glorious to watch as the unstoppable force turns clowns into clouds of gibs at the switch of a lever.

Toady already mentioend that there is a terminal velocity.  There is probably also a maximum volume, but maximum weight probably not.  It will probably just behave as it does for enormous things: goes very slowly when a dwarf is pushing it.

Regardless, I imagine if you can pack a FB corpse into a minecart then send it down say 30 z-levels, you will destroy any foe that doesn't dodge out of the way.  Just make your opening into the fort 1-tile wide down a long hallway and you're mostly set.

And to whoever mentioned needing to have the fort open for this to work, that's not necessarily so.  Just construct a valley leading to your fort, hope that enemies path down it, then launch minecarts over walls and into the valley.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 2 [3]