Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question about jails and beds  (Read 967 times)

tigger89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question about jails and beds
« on: May 22, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

I've checked wiki and done a forum search, and neither place answers this question.  On wiki it says that if you designate a jail from a chain or rope, you need to put a bed so that the prisoner can sleep.  However, it doesn't say anything about cages, and I have more cages available than ropes or chains at this point.

Part of me thinks that it shouldn't need a bed, since obviously you sleep in the cage, but dwarf fortress doesn't always make sense.  :p

So, if I designate a jail from a cage, do I need to put a bed in the cell as well?

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: question about jails and beds
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 01:12:00 pm »

I'm prety sure that any bad dwarf put in the jail does not DESERVE a bed, so don't give him one...
Dwarves don't even realy need beds to survive, just to stay happy.
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eatnobles4breakfast:
<STRONG>I'm prety sure that any bad dwarf put in the jail does not DESERVE a bed, so don't give him one...
Dwarves don't even realy need beds to survive, just to stay happy.</STRONG>

Except in DF staying happy has a lot do do with staying alive.   ;)

Quitschi1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

My suggestion would be not to get a prison at all. Otherwise your Miner might get arrested because you werent able to make crystal glass items, even if you have neither a glassmaker nor a rock crystals. This is just an example but strange things happen in dwarven injustice X_x.

And try to get rid of the hammerer if he(she arrives.

And to keep a it at least a bit topic felated:
If you have only cages in your prison you wont need any beds in there, as the prisoners cant reach them anyway.
If you have chains in there, you might want to place beds in rangeof one tile of each chain so that the prisoner can reach the bed and have sleep.  This is especially useful for dwarves who already have bad thoughts when getting into the prison to comepensate the bad thought from beeing imprisoned.

You might as well put rather high quality stuff in the prison so your dwarves can admire them, statues would be possible as well.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 03:43:00 pm »

I made a prison by designating it from my hightest-value rope, and placed some silver chains and metal cages.

All of my dwarves who got arrested (all, erm, three of them) got chained to a chain (and later got killed when they went berserk. Mental note: Try adding statues to prison maybe.)

I suspect if your dwarf gets arrested and caged, maybe you can use (q) (a) to reassign him to a chain?

Lord Byte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lordbyte.be
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

Doesn't seem to work, you can however remove the chain he's attached to (not making it a prison doesn't work either) and that will set him free with his prison sentence served (I really needed to get my legendary weaponsmith out before he died of hunger and thirst!)

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

I don't think you can reassign them, but you can deconstruct the cage, dwarf and all.  They'll then get moved into an animal stockpile.  Since the cage is no longer "for justice", they'll never get released until you re-build the cage and re-designate it for justice.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AlmostEverywhere:
<STRONG>I don't think you can reassign them, but you can deconstruct the cage, dwarf and all.  They'll then get moved into an animal stockpile.  Since the cage is no longer "for justice", they'll never get released until you re-build the cage and re-designate it for justice.</STRONG>

I love that image.

"Oh mighty Metalsmith, what are you making?"
"A cage... FOR JUSTICE."

:p

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

tigger89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 08:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Quitschi1337:
<STRONG>My suggestion would be not to get a prison at all. Otherwise your Miner might get arrested because you werent able to make crystal glass items, even if you have neither a glassmaker nor a rock crystals. This is just an example but strange things happen in dwarven injustice X_x.

And try to get rid of the hammerer if he(she arrives.</STRONG>

I like to play within the constraints of stuff like this, it makes the game more interesting(since I'm not too interested in the military/combat half, and just end up putting an obscene amount of traps around my entrances to stop all invading forces).  If my sheriff wants a jail, he's gonna get a jail.  But I'll be trying to make it a NICE jail, so hopefully not so many dwarves will go berserk inside.

Good to know I don't need beds yet.  As soon as I finally get my magma forges working, I'll be able to smith some chains, but for now I'm stuck with cages.