Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your Thoughts on What Would Happen if There Was Somehow a Massive War?  (Read 490 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Aliens, Russia, whatever - let's dust off that WW3 panic from early 2020.

What would happen?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Your Thoughts on What Would Happen if There Was Somehow a Massive War?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 10:16:44 pm »

Aliens?  They'd have no reason to fight us, but if they did we would lose.  Biological or nanotechnological agents would kill us with impunity.  Or they could drop asteroids on us.  We have no realistic way to resist anything they might do.

Russia?  Or some other nuclear power?  It's possible that it would stay a conventional war on the ground with tanks, guns and aircraft as long as none of the nuclear powers are directly threatened.  It would be an insane waste to launch nuclear weapons and kill yourself and everyone else because of a war being fought on foreign soil like Ukraine.  Sanity checks mean you'd only do this if you thought your existence was credibly threatened.  In such a conventional war, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that the US and its allies would win most any conflict if they're involved.  Not necessarily easily of course.

It's always possible less sane actors or sane actors working with bad info might launch nukes anyway.  That's uncharted territory but the results would probably be apocalyptic to say the least.  I don't know how good ICBM interception is these days but I sincerely doubt it's good enough to stop enough ICBM nuclear missiles to matter.  Even if it somehow turned into a one-sided nuclear exchange due to missile defenses, the impact on the global food supply and global economy would kill an enormous number of people no matter which nuclear power was wiped out.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 02:22:04 am »

I'm sure we'd be fine.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 10:40:33 am »

Aliens?  They'd have no reason to fight us, but if they did we would lose.  Biological or nanotechnological agents would kill us with impunity.  Or they could drop asteroids on us.  We have no realistic way to resist anything they might do.

Depends. Assuming that laws of physics actually work, the only possible scenario of aliens visiting us is a generational ship (or ships). And they may prefer Earth to settling on other planets of the Solar System. 
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 10:56:31 am »

Depends. Assuming that laws of physics actually work, the only possible scenario of aliens visiting us is a generational ship (or ships). And they may prefer Earth to settling on other planets of the Solar System.

A generational ship may  not be the only option. We know that our current understanding of physics must be incomplete so we can't rule out ftl travel yet. If ftl travel is impossible, it would still be far more effecient to travel in some form of stasis so that you don't need to bring tons of food. Either way, if aliens do exist they are almost certainly millions of years ahead of us in development, if not billions. Impossible to predict what they would be capable of, but a war between them and humans would be akin to a war between you and a nest of ants.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 10:57:28 am »

I'm sure we'd be fine.
quote of the day   :D

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 11:20:17 am »

A generational ship may  not be the only option. We know that our current understanding of physics must be incomplete so we can't rule out ftl travel yet. If ftl travel is impossible, it would still be far more effecient to travel in some form of stasis so that you don't need to bring tons of food. Either way, if aliens do exist they are almost certainly millions of years ahead of us in development, if not billions. Impossible to predict what they would be capable of, but a war between them and humans would be akin to a war between you and a nest of ants.

Stasis ship is merely a more practical version of an STL light ship. What I mean is that it is far more likely that we'll have to deal with a small number of colonists with superior tech that will actually need our resources than with some galactic empire with sci-fi FTL tech.

Our understanding of physics may be wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it. FTL is actually impossible is a reasonable assumption.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 12:03:32 pm »

Right. Yes, it is a very reasonable assumption because of the trouble with causality and most depictions of ftl in SF are absolute cringe - I even remember a star wars scene where they shoot some epic ftl laser and people see the ftl beam coming, ugh.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that we can't be absolutely certain yet whether a theory of quantum gravity would allow any sort of ftl.

About nuclear apocalypse, well we know pretty well what that would look like and instead of spelling it out I think I'll watch some puppies on youtube now.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 12:08:44 pm »

If aliens showed up, they can take all the stupid red hat people with them

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 01:04:36 pm »

Should aliens arrive, I suggest negotiating with them and giving them Russia.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2022, 01:18:54 pm »

Divide and conquer would clearly be a successful strategy...
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 01:30:54 pm »

If aliens show up I'm with them, what do you want to know folks, I think you should totally aim over there, that button looks kinda dusty I can push it if you just happened to clean your hands.
let

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2022, 02:31:42 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2022, 03:28:16 pm »

At the end of the day, getting dematerialized isn't the worst way to go.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2022, 04:14:16 am »

Can't wait for the part where the aliens come around and shoot everyone including me with a death ray, it'll be fun.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?