Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 457817 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics (Beautified ASCII!)
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2014, 09:49:03 pm »

Hey there mate! I was wondering, I'm new to the game and, is there any way to install this on the lazy newb pack(The LNP version)? The only file that's missing is d_init.txt, but it is kind of important, so I'm just wondering what I'm doing wrong.

d_init.txt needs to be the default, so install the default ASCII graphics, change the settings as you like them, and then unzip taffer.zip into the Dwarf Fortress 0.34.11 folder. Everything should work as expected. If you want to use it in the GUI, you should be able to copy the ASCII folder in LNP/graphics, rename it Taffer, then overwrite everything inside with the contents of taffer.zip. That should get things working as expected. You'll still need to install the alternates by hand, though. If you use LNP for the keybindings, they're already included in my download.

I apologize for the delayed response!

I love this tileset... very nice work Taffer! Great for folks used to roguelikes who are having a bit of trouble working with rectangular aspect tiles!

Thanks! That's partly the crowd I made it for. I still play Nethack/ADOM.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:20:20 pm by Taffer »

lechium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2014, 03:16:52 am »

I played this game for many years, vanilla and with many different tilesets. In vanilla some things are just so hard to make out. In Pheobus and co. the font is totally messed up. CLA is damn ugly imo. Like you say your tileset is really the best balance. Thanks for sharing your work.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2014, 06:41:24 pm »

I played this game for many years, vanilla and with many different tilesets. In vanilla some things are just so hard to make out. In Pheobus and co. the font is totally messed up. CLA is damn ugly imo. Like you say your tileset is really the best balance. Thanks for sharing your work.

You're welcome. Thanks for enjoying it!

As an aside, despite my glacial progress at the new double-sized tilesets, I expect to have the set otherwise updated very quickly following the next release.

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2014, 09:38:50 am »

I was searching for a square tileset close to vanilla and rather small, and I found this one... Great job actually ! It is not so close to vanilla, but anyway, it it so smooth and beautiful and everything... I couldn't simply ignore it.
The only "bad" things are the beds and cabinets. I would have prefered the original θ and π (I'm not sure it's a pi though).
I had a hard time choosing between yours colors and vanilla's colors too. But I'm used to vanilla's, and it's easier for me to identify which stone is what at the first glance with vanilla's colors, so...

Anyway, great job :D

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2014, 01:45:54 pm »

I was searching for a square tileset close to vanilla and rather small, and I found this one... Great job actually ! It is not so close to vanilla, but anyway, it it so smooth and beautiful and everything... I couldn't simply ignore it.
[snip]
Anyway, great job :D

Thanks for the compliments! How "close" it is depends on what definition you use. Almost every tile is the same unicode character as the default. The font itself changed, and the characters are drawn differently, but the meaning is the same. It could theoretically be reused as a code page for text again. The exceptions were likely the two you mentioned. (Well, and the racial graphics, but that's separate from the tileset itself) It's different aesthetically, though. Thanks again!

[snip]
The only "bad" things are the beds and cabinets. I would have prefered the original θ and π (I'm not sure it's a pi though).
I had a hard time choosing between yours colors and vanilla's colors too. But I'm used to vanilla's, and it's easier for me to identify which stone is what at the first glance with vanilla's colors, so...
[snip]

It's pi. Are these tiles an improvement? I fixed them up for you. Anybody have any comments, objections, etc? Minor update coming at some point. I fixed up the Dawnbringer colours, I'm thinking of these two new tiles, and I'm considering adding in the solid background tilesets that Vherid showed a screenshot of.

Proposed new cabinet/dark fortress:

Proposed new bed/puddingstone:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:29:09 pm by Taffer »

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2014, 05:16:06 pm »

How "close" it is depends on what definition you use. Almost every tile is the same unicode character as the default.
Well, I'm a kind of purist. But yes, by "close" I meant "which matchs almost exactly the default tileset but in a square version".

Are these tiles an improvement? I fixed them up for you.
The beds are a little odd. Although the first ones are more different than the originals, I prefer these. But for my own use, I'm gonna use these ones :

However the new cabinet is a good compromise between vanilla and its actual meaning. It looks like a tower (or a cabinet with some imagination), and has the same little branch on the lower right like the default character.

I found out that the ² are not actually ², and I have changed them to match those from vanilla (once again that's my personal opinion, I try to keep the original characters).

Thanks to you my fortress :
- is square
- matchs the default tileset pretty well
- is beautiful

:D

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2014, 06:19:08 pm »

I like them both

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2014, 03:38:33 pm »

Ended up using the style of bed shown below. I think it's a good compromise, personally. The new update is done, including the smoothed double-sized versions. The tileset should now be completely in line with the vanilla set courtesy of 0rion's suggestions. This includes the new bed, cabinet, and also a new ² tile. The latter tries to strike a balance being a "2" and representing the various dead vermin/body parts that invariably clutter up the fortress. In the spirit of bringing things in line more with vanilla, I enabled the intro by default and set the colours to be the default. The alternate colours are still included. I also sprinkled the alternates folder liberally with comparative screenshots so that everything is much easier to use.

I decided against including the solid background. Vherid kindly sent it to me and the credit to the solid background version is both his and CLA. It causes graphical glitches in the text though, which seems to be against the spirit of the set. (It would also bring my tileset count to 32, up from the current 16, but that was less of a concern.) If anybody wants it I can post it. Thanks, Vherid!

The gem tile has also been redrawn, and the heart was fixed up slightly.

In summary, the download is easier to use, I have properly smoothed double-sized versions, and the whole set has been brought in line with the vanilla set. At this point there aren't any tiles left that I have my eye on, for the moment. I'm still not a huge fan of the dwarf soldiers, but every time I redraw them I'm unsatisfied with the result (or they look too similar to the other race's soldiers), so I'm leaving them be.

I considered adding the "depth effect" that so many nice sets seem to have, but decided I didn't like it after all. True depth would be nice, but changing the tile just shows the same amount of information as before, and I rather like the blue sky when I'm playing. It's still easy to change, though. Change the SKY line in d_init.txt. Crazy 8x8s uses "[SKY:250:8:0:0]".

New beds:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:28:42 pm by Taffer »

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2014, 04:13:44 pm »

Ended up using the style of bed shown below. I think it's a good compromise, personally.

You're right, you're version is far better than mine. Same symbol as vanilla, same style as Taffer :)

In the spirit of bringing things in line more with vanilla, I enabled the intro by default and set the colours to be the default. The alternate colours are still included.

I'm not sure that's a good idea; the previous colours are really good, it's really a pleasure to contemplate. As I said, the vanilla's colours are for those (like me) who absolutely want to stuck to vanilla, but I think most of people would prefer the previous colours (I can be wrong).

And those "²" are exactly the same as the ones I drew for myself, to the nearest pixel :p

I noticed that the init file defines the fullscreen dimensions as full-HD. Maybe it is better to change FULLSCREENX and FULLSCREENX to 0 (instead of 1920x1080) ? For resolutions which are not full-HD ?

I really enjoy your beds now; once again, good job ;)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2014, 04:25:07 pm »

I'm not sure that's a good idea; the previous colours are really good, it's really a pleasure to contemplate. As I said, the vanilla's colours are for those (like me) who absolutely want to stuck to vanilla, but I think most of people would prefer the previous colours (I can be wrong).

[snip]

I noticed that the init file defines the fullscreen dimensions as full-HD. Maybe it is better to change FULLSCREENX and FULLSCREENX to 0 (instead of 1920x1080) ? For resolutions which are not full-HD ?

Reuploaded as per suggestions above. You're right, my colours aren't that different thematically from the vanilla colours. The FULLSCREEN settings were a remnant of my system, thanks for noticing them. Setting them to 0 results in DF's displaying incorrectly on my system, so I had them defined.

Thanks again! for the compliments!

Also, the screenshots are a little sparse outside of the comparative ones, and not even that great. I intend to have nicer screenshots with the new Dwarf Fortress version, and these will do until then.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:30:45 pm by Taffer »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2014, 11:09:27 pm »

Oh I had no idea that was you who emailed me haha, thought it was just some random guy. I like the new changes, very nice.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2014, 02:49:25 pm »

On a whim, I added optional mod support for the ASCII version of Fantastic DF. I'm not likely to support the myriad of optional fortress defence races, but I've been playing with the dark wizards today and felt they deserved some graphics.

Oh I had no idea that was you who emailed me haha, thought it was just some random guy. I like the new changes, very nice.

Apparently there's an e-mail feature on the forum I hadn't been aware of. I was tired, and thought I was sending forum messages. Thanks!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 02, 2014, 12:09:40 pm »

I expect to have the set otherwise updated very quickly following the next release.

Quotes like this are going to bite me in the ass. I'll be gone from June 28 to the first week of August, and will not have access to a computer or smartphone at all. Given his current estimated release of early July, the best I can do is hope he releases early/terribly late. Theoretically, the only file that is likely to change in my set is d_init.txt, so I'll include instructions on the first post/download page on how to replace that file. I'll also put up the raw tilesets along with installation instructions.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:11:26 pm by Taffer »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: Attractive ASCII
« Reply #148 on: June 02, 2014, 12:14:12 pm »

Files that change are the trees... all the trees.

the best I can do is hope he releases early
No comment.  ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: Attractive ASCII
« Reply #149 on: June 02, 2014, 12:17:34 pm »

Files that change are the trees... all the trees.

the best I can do is hope he releases early
No comment.  ;)

Unlikely, I suppose. ::) The tree changes aren't likely to affect me outside of d_init.txt, as far as I can tell. I don't change any raw files, and all of my "wall tiles" resemble tree trunks at least as much as the default tileset does. (Which is to say, not very much).
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 50