Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 459456 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: Attractive ASCII
« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2014, 02:19:51 pm »

Hello! I started using your tileset to get an understanding of what a good simple tileset feels like. I wanted to ask your permission if I could use similar tiles in my tileset. These tiles would be your sand/water/magma tiles, and my punctuation tiles will be heavily influenced by yours as well.

I hope you like it! By all means, go ahead. You're free to use any of my tiles, although I appreciate a nod in the credits if they're tiles that I drew. The punctuation characters and water tiles are from public domain code pages so no credit is necessary for those characters. A lot of my tileset has been redrawn or edited over time, but I always liked those tiles good enough as they were.

I like your new Simple Mood tileset, by the way. It's a good design direction for simple, tiny graphics. I particularly like the logs, the tree/root/plant tiles, statues, tree leaves, skulls, weapon racks, and marsh tiles. I should have said so in the relevant thread sooner.

I thank you for your work. Your tileset is my favorite.

Apologies for not responding to this sooner. I'm glad you like my tileset. If you have any requests/suggestions, let me know!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:13:46 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2014, 04:30:36 pm »

New update! I fixed the chain/rope tile by one pixel to center it properly. Other changes include turning the graphics back on by default and switching the default colors to my Dawnbringer set. This was done to give nicer settings for the users that aren't comfortable editing the init.txt file.

More importantly, I redrew the ladder tile. It looks much more like a ladder now, and still resembles the Peseta currency sign. The new ladder is on the right.

Old and busted, new hotness:

Unfortunately, the double-sized version hasn't been updated and is, in fact, a little neglected. Sometime this week I intend to work on fixing it up more.

As always, comments, requests, praise, useful critique, and screenshots are all welcomed and encouraged.

There are a few other symbols lurking in the set that I'm not content with. Fortunately, Dwarf Fortress doesn't use them anyways. Any improvements would not only be pointless, but I have no idea what they'll be used for in the future. The ladder/Peseta sign had been in that category.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:54:50 pm by Taffer »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2014, 04:53:46 pm »

Nice I like it

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2014, 05:21:14 pm »

Nice I like it

Thanks! I've been playing around with alternate dwarf soldier tiles, but I've never managed to get something I like, so it always stays.

That's probably my 20th attempt in the past year or so.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2014, 05:22:40 pm »

Nice I like it

Thanks! I've been playing around with alternate dwarf soldier tiles, but I've never managed to get something I like, so it always stays.

That's probably my 20th attempt in the past year or so.

I like the right one more but I like the weird ones.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2014, 05:24:36 pm »

I like the right one more but I like the weird ones.

i TOTALLY second this
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2014, 05:45:10 pm »

playing around with [...] soldier tiles
Oh god, don't remind me. Probably the most fun and the most frustrating part of graphic sets for me.
I went through pages and pages of military helmet references from the beginning of classical antiquity to late middle ages, and played around until I had something recognizable.
Osprey books and museum catalogs/photos are your new best friends.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2014, 05:48:13 pm »

But remember these are dwarfs who build crazy helmets, You don't need to stick with those lame classical designs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2014, 12:47:00 pm »

I just posted a fairly big update, by my standards. I swapped in the new soldier graphics and, on a whim, gave dwarves their mouths back. I think it makes them look hilariously thick-headed. More importantly I prefer engraved and dead dwarves this way. As always, I can revert this if it proves controversial. Finally, I cleaned up the double-sized version a little and brought them up to date with the new tiles. It took me longer than expected as I had no active fort running and wanted some nice screenshots. This one's filled with engravings and statues of elves being killed. I actually like the elves of Dwarf Fortress, but it seems that my dwarves strongly disagree with me.

I'm still not completely content with the double-sized versions. If people prefer this look instead I can switch over to it. It wouldn't be as smooth looking, but it would be far easier for me to update it and some may prefer the aesthetic. Even using the xbrz scaling algorithm and fixing it up by hand, I'm still not terribly pleased with the look. Still, I've seen screenshots of people using it here and there on reddit and haven't had any complaints so far.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:58:26 pm by Taffer »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2014, 12:54:29 pm »

I would love if you had an alternative download from dropbox or something, DFFD is broken as fuck for me all the time.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2014, 01:24:47 pm »

I would love if you had an alternative download from dropbox or something, DFFD is broken as fuck for me all the time.

Here's a mirror. I've never had any problems with DFFD, personally.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2014, 01:30:58 pm »

Here's a mirror. I've never had any problems with DFFD, personally.

It's just straight up DNS blocked here or something, it will never load in chrome, it will load SOMETIMES in firefox. It's also slow as hell, which isn't a problem for tilesets because they're small files, but when people only upload huge mods to dffd, holy shit that drives me nuts.

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2014, 03:53:15 pm »

It's just straight up DNS blocked here or something, it will never load in chrome, it will load SOMETIMES in firefox.
I've found of late that Norton Antivirus is blocking the dffd site for me in Chrome (although there is a continue anyway option).
This report indicates a drive-by attack was found on it once:
http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=http:%2F%2Fdffd.wimbli.com%2Ffile.php%3Fid=7767&product=other&version=21.6.0.32&layout=Retail&lang=0901&source=toolbar
So it has got itself on to at least one blacklist.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2014, 10:23:38 pm »

Ok wait, where did you learn how to upscale things without them being fugly like I make them, is there a guide somewhere I missed? I had a horrible time trying to upscale parts of the walls from one of the 20x tilesets I like to work with the 24x I use, do you use photoshop or GIMP for it?

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2014, 10:55:27 pm »

Ok wait, where did you learn how to upscale things without them being fugly like I make them, is there a guide somewhere I missed? I had a horrible time trying to upscale parts of the walls from one of the 20x tilesets I like to work with the 24x I use, do you use photoshop or GIMP for it?
If that's a question about Taffer's tileset, then the answer is that he uses hqx or similar algorithm, that allows to upscale pixelart, but work only on specific scale factors. So, you can upscale 10px tileset two times to 20px with hq2x, but if you want to make 16px out of 10, all you can to do here is to develop your own algorithm. For example, Rinick here presented a simple tool to downscale 18px tileset to 16px
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50