Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 459466 times)

Ucarty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: Attractive ASCII
« Reply #225 on: December 09, 2014, 02:42:24 am »

A new challenger enters the ring!

I like it! Like I said, these clear helmet/visor deal icons are my thing. Though.. I like the bone one more in this case! I guess it's because it still shows the dwarfish beard :]

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 09, 2014, 09:14:33 am »

I'm with palu, #7 is very Grey Fox/MGS, the newest ones look like they have droopy ear kinda.

*also, starts the arch handshake with Ucarty, but will need to sign his key and check a few dependencies before it completes*

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2014, 01:50:16 am »

Updated to version XXII. Some controversial changes here, I suspect, but hopefully it's all for the better. I think so.

• I went with a visor approach after all for the soldier tile, after some thought. The more complex soldier tiles didn't fit into the rest of the set very well.
  • Dwarves are now smaller than humans in pixel-size. This seems proper to me. They are dwarves after all. They're also "gender-neutral" now, in that they lost their beards, but suddenly look much happier. This look is similar to how they look in curses_640x300, included in the vanilla game.
  • The designation tile has regained Tocky's border. It's stippled, so it looks nice. This makes some things look more blocky, but in exchange, it's much nicer to designate mining as you can count the squares.
  • Realizing that these changes might be controversial, there's now a "oneshots" folder undoing all of the above. The full breadth of tilesets aren't supported, of course, but I take requests. By default, four different options for dwarven soldiers are included in the "oneshots" folder, and a version of the tileset without the "designation borders".
  • Root/branch tiles are improved a little.
  • The number sign (#) is improved a little.
  • Nicer sky setting in d_init.txt.
  • Dropped support for custom shaded double-sized tilesets. I never actually finished these to the best of my ability to begin with -- there were too many small issues with them here and there, and I never had enough motivation to fix them. I can reupload the old ones somewhere if need be. Double-sized versions are included that feature simple linear scaling. This isn't a bad effect -- just different. I suspect it might be preferable, however, given the issues with the old ones.
  • Tocky colours are the default again, and I have a much nicer preview image.

As always, feel free to leave screenshots, criticism, requests, comments, etc. I'm open to changing things.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:14:53 am by Taffer »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 10, 2014, 04:14:50 am »

Looking good

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 10, 2014, 05:27:39 am »

I agree whole heartedly with what you did. It looks like it fits your tileset perfectly, so don't ask me why I felt possessed to try do the example that you see below, because I don't know... By no means is this supposed to be anything special or unique. It isn't a suggestion for anything I think you need to change because I think yours looks great. I just had a desire to see if I could design something similar to yours but with faces filled in instead of hollow. I came up with the following result.

I know what it is like working in a small area. I imagine that searching for new and different perspectives and references to look at is no easy task . This is all that this is, just a new perspective that might help you either a.) Feel better about how good your art is in comparison to your peers :D and/or b.) Give you a different way to look at things. If you manage to find any positive thing you can take away from this, I offer it freely and in good will. I am very much an admirer.

*edited image host*
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:54:36 am by Rogue Yun »

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 10, 2014, 10:50:49 am »

You image host doesn't seem to work. Try Imgur?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2014, 12:15:56 pm »

Looking good

Glad you like it. I've been thinking of making the changes to the dwarves and the designation tiles for a long time now, but I'm generally hesitant to make changes that I think people might dislike. I do much prefer the look of my set now, though.

I agree whole heartedly with what you did. It looks like it fits your tileset perfectly, so don't ask me why I felt possessed to try do the example that you see below, because I don't know... By no means is this supposed to be anything special or unique. It isn't a suggestion for anything I think you need to change because I think yours looks great. I just had a desire to see if I could design something similar to yours but with faces filled in instead of hollow. I came up with the following result.

I know what it is like working in a small area. I imagine that searching for new and different perspectives and references to look at is no easy task . This is all that this is, just a new perspective that might help you either a.) Feel better about how good your art is in comparison to your peers :D and/or b.) Give you a different way to look at things. If you manage to find any positive thing you can take away from this, I offer it freely and in good will. I am very much an admirer.

*edited image host*

I gave up on "filled in" faces a while ago. Interesting alternate designs! Godlysockpuppet posted some alternate racial graphics in the Mastwork forum a bit a while ago, if you're curious to see somebody else's take on my graphics.

Thank you kindly for the praise. Keep up the good work on your own tilesets.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:23:08 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 10, 2014, 12:51:53 pm »

On request from (and in response to) somebody on reddit, I'll show and explain the changes.

These are the differences on the "less visible" changed tiles. The new tiles are on the left, the old ones are on the right. As always lately, the difference is only a few pixels.

The '1/2' tile doesn't appear in the game at all, unless the wiki is wrong. I fixed it up all the same.
The '1/4' tile was too "small" before. It's always used as a sort of branch or root in the game. Even roc nests are, I presume, made out of branches. Making the slash longer helps fill out those tiles more and make them look more like branches. Incidentally, if there's any tile in the tileset where I'd want to break with my habit of making "improved default tiles" its here, as there's no need for this to be a fraction. Still, I do like how it looks now, so there's no point in breaking with tradition.
The '#' tile was connected to the left and right edges previously. Now it isn't. This made anything in the game that used these in a grid tile oddly, because the grates would be connected horizontally but not vertically. You can see this easily in the bottom-right corner of the combat arena, down a few levels.

The "new sky" is visible in a screenshot below:

Compare with the "old sky" below:

It gives a much nicer "illusion of depth". I didn't invent this trick. My current setting ([SKY:250:8:0:0]) was taken from Crazy 8x8, but it didn't originate there, either. The old setting is still there in d_init.txt, so it's easy to change it back. (Or you can just not copy over my d_init.txt).

Finally, because the new changes were indeed a little controversial (to at least one person), I'll explain them.

Dwarf tiles with beards had been bothering me, and I'd been making similar changes to my own tilesets. Dwarven women don't have beards, after all. I hadn't included this change in my main tileset because I felt people would miss the old tiles. I compromised by making the "oneshots" folder, and I can take reasonable requests for new graphics or tilesets.

The "designation tile" grid, for lack of a better term, does make things look "blockier" in some cases. The old solid colour makes it really hard to see at a glance whether a room I've laid out to mine is 8x2 or 7x2, however, and my previous solution was always just to count them myself by hitting the direction keys. This is a little silly, because with a grid you can just count them visually off of the screen.

Hopefully that explains the changes! The same person mentioned a "new direction" for my tileset, but this whole update only changes 6 tiles -- and half of those by only 4 pixels each. There's no "new direction", and I'm not likely to make any more changes for a while.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 01:31:22 pm by Taffer »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 10, 2014, 01:33:01 pm »

Yeah that sky is way better.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 10, 2014, 02:03:41 pm »

The "new sky" is visible in a screenshot below
It gives a much nicer "illusion of depth"
There was a problem in my tileset, that forced me to change SKY plainly to [0:0:0:0] — indeed, dark-grey-250 points help you to measure space easily, but there is a lot of situations in this game, when a tile one level below uses same colour. That means there is no way to tell, is this grey tile on a level below, or simply empty space.

Oh, also, [HATERSKATER_SURELY_IS_A_CRITICASTER:TRUE]: Letters in Serif tilesets coloured differently: all letters except B, I and T have colour 253,253,253. And what is more important, 10 dwarves drawn with Sans died to reveal horrifying truth: 0 is O and caskets are pillars  ;D

And. Good work!  ;)
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

CowThing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 10, 2014, 02:23:48 pm »

I like the changes you've made. I was a bit skeptical about how the designation tile would look with a border. But it actually looks very nice, it's subtle enough that it's not distracting, and still useful. (I think I'll try a similar border in my tileset.)

Also the new picture in the opening post looks good.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 10, 2014, 02:36:47 pm »

The "new sky" is visible in a screenshot below
It gives a much nicer "illusion of depth"
There was a problem in my tileset, that forced me to change SKY plainly to [0:0:0:0] — indeed, dark-grey-250 points help you to measure space easily, but there is a lot of situations in this game, when a tile one level below uses same colour. That means there is no way to tell, is this grey tile on a level below, or simply empty space.

Oh, also, [HATERSKATER_SURELY_IS_A_CRITICASTER:TRUE]: Letters in Serif tilesets coloured differently: all letters except B, I and T have colour 253,253,253. And what is more important, 10 dwarves drawn with Sans died to reveal horrifying truth: 0 is O and caskets are pillars  ;D

And. Good work!  ;)

Thank you for catching those issues! Is it obvious that I never play with the sans font? That issue is fixed here (but not uploaded yet) as is the entirely unnoticeable #fdfdfd/#ffffff colour difference.

I'm not certain about the SKY change yet. You're right of course, but the little dots make for some nice eyecandy.

Somebody on Reddit suggested that I sacrifice nice foreheads for the dwarves in exchange for the mouth not touching the chin. (Like here). I'm actually not sure that this is an upgrade, as that fellow looks awfully "square-headed", and the eyes are a little high for me there. Overall, the changes went over better than I expected, which pleases me.

tl;dr: Minor issues fixed or being flagged as 'wontfix'. I'll upload a changed version shortly.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 03:53:56 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 10, 2014, 02:43:12 pm »

I like the changes you've made. I was a bit skeptical about how the designation tile would look with a border. But it actually looks very nice, it's subtle enough that it's not distracting, and still useful. (I think I'll try a similar border in my tileset.)

Also the new picture in the opening post looks good.

Thanks! It took me a while to come around to it. (As evidence, the border was one of the first things I dropped in Tocky's tileset, and it's been years since then without it). I suddenly hit upon the idea of stippling, which I think is a good compromise. It makes fortress planning much nicer, I think.

I wanted to condense information better in the opening post. I'm glad I did a reasonable job. It still needs improving, of course, but I'll leave it up for now.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:58:26 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: improved defaults
« Reply #238 on: December 10, 2014, 04:24:02 pm »

Decided it wasn't worth waiting. I already knew what I wanted. Thank you, HaterSkater! Version XXIII is out, which includes very minor changes.
  • Changed SKY to [0:0:0:0] to avoid z-level confusion
  • Sans serif '0' and 'O' are now diffentiated
  • Very minor colour corrections to all tilesets (#fdfdfd to #ffffff)
I'm not changing the dwarf tiles. I also fixed up the preview image to my liking.

The new SKY setting:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:28:10 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics XXIII: Attractive ASCII
« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2014, 06:24:53 pm »

Updated for DF 0.40.20.

EDIT: Automining gem clusters, f**k yeah! The mining changes don't undo the work I did on the stippled border either, which is nice. (I was worried that mining designations would always display their priority number, instead of only while designating).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:35:28 pm by Taffer »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50