Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 459534 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What happened to old hi-res version of the tileset? Last time I used it, it was smooth, now it is pixeleted.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=107924.msg5004063#msg5004063

Largely because I'm a perfectionist and I lacked the time to get them up to my standards. It took me a long time to get the initial smoothed versions out, and as I updated the smaller tilesets I lacked the energy to also update the larger tilesets. I was prepared to ignore the differences for a while, but eventually the smaller set changed sufficiently that I couldn't continue leaving the larger versions untouched.

I spent a lot of time obsessing over tiny pixels in my tilesets and the larger tilesets just didn't have the same polish. Perhaps I notice them more because I don't have a 4K display. My personal life has also gotten significantly busier in the last year. You're welcome to use the older, smoothed versions if you prefer them: I consider them to be of lower quality than the rest of my set, but I left them up so that people can use them. They have some rough edges and stray pixels, but they're serviceable.

Thanks for your interest! Hopefully I sufficiently answered your question.

Lastly, I'm going to drop support for the smoothly scaled double-sized variants. I tried out a game with them and too many things bothered me. I'll still support double-sized versions, scaled as Vherid suggested several few pages back. This will also make my life much easier.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 05:55:05 pm by Taffer »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: Improved ASCII for DF 0.40.24 (10x10/20x20)
« Reply #256 on: December 02, 2015, 10:43:43 pm »

Will this work as it is in 42.01?
I assume the couple of graphics included won't clash with any new stuff in the raws, will it?

I mean, give me a couple of hours and I'll have tried it out anyhow, but doesn't hurt to put Taffer back on the front page...  ;)

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 02, 2015, 11:00:56 pm »

Works for me.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #258 on: December 02, 2015, 11:43:02 pm »

I assume the couple of graphics included won't clash with any new stuff in the raws, will it?

I mean, give me a couple of hours and I'll have tried it out anyhow, but doesn't hurt to put Taffer back on the front page...  ;)

Taffer wrote some helpful steps that you may find useful.

For posterity's sake in case you're waiting impatiently on a new version, simply delete init.txt and d_init.txt in my archive, then change the tileset references to taffer.png in the new version's init.txt. If you want the nicer sky from d_init.txt back, replace the SKY line with [SKY:250:0:0:1]. This is only necessary if those files have changed in the new version (or if you're uncertain if they have been). If you're comfortable on the command line, Windows provides the 'fc' command to compare files for differences.

Don't use the alternate interface.txt (the keybindings) in a new version unless you've confirmed that interface.txt hasn't changed (via fc, diff, or otherwise).

If the changelog mentions significant changes to the graphics or colors (unlikely), or new/changed jobs for the graphics files (possible), more work will be required. If it's the latter, just disable graphics and you'll be fine.
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 03, 2015, 12:59:08 am »

Updated for the new release. I have not done any actual playing, but the error log isn't showing any problems and my new keybindings work as they did before, as do the graphics. If I screwed up somehow kindly let me know, as I likely won't be devoting much time to playing this release. It's definitely a buggy one: I'm CTDing often, which doesn't inspire confidence when I'm trying to test my release. I'm 99% certain that the CTDs aren't my fault, as they happen consistently with or without my pack.

I haven't updated the graphics files yet
. Fortunately graphics can still be used with only a few visual repercussions. Will fix this within the next few days.  I've already fixed the Dwarf graphics raw on my computer, but I'll need to take a closer look at the others now that multi-racial forts are a thing.

Thank you kindly for the bump, in any case. Enjoy the tavern release!

Works for me.

Please download the new version and use that instead! My d_init.txt file was outdated, and your game is likely subtly broken if you didn't delete the old d_init.txt. The keybindings should also be avoided with the older version.

Thank you for responding with that quote!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:11:36 am by Taffer »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: Improved ASCII for DF 0.42.01 (10x10/20x20)
« Reply #260 on: December 03, 2015, 05:23:24 am »

Looking forward to the updated graphics!
Yeah, I always update init manually and copy over each file separately. I like to know what I'm doing to my folders. :)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 03, 2015, 08:26:50 am »

Looking forward to the updated graphics!
Yeah, I always update init manually and copy over each file separately. I like to know what I'm doing to my folders. :)

I forgot to directly answer this question:

No, graphics raws don't conflict with things, other than the lack of job icons that I mentioned. Creatures will just revert to their normal graphics if they lack an appropriate job entry. Many other graphics packs do conflict with the new raws, but only because they edit the raw files themselves: I don't.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 03, 2015, 03:55:33 pm »

Updated for the new release. I have not done any actual playing, but the error log isn't showing any problems and my new keybindings work as they did before, as do the graphics. If I screwed up somehow kindly let me know, as I likely won't be devoting much time to playing this release. It's definitely a buggy one: I'm CTDing often, which doesn't inspire confidence when I'm trying to test my release. I'm 99% certain that the CTDs aren't my fault, as they happen consistently with or without my pack.

I haven't updated the graphics files yet
. Fortunately graphics can still be used with only a few visual repercussions. Will fix this within the next few days.  I've already fixed the Dwarf graphics raw on my computer, but I'll need to take a closer look at the others now that multi-racial forts are a thing.

Thank you kindly for the bump, in any case. Enjoy the tavern release!

Works for me.

Please download the new version and use that instead! My d_init.txt file was outdated, and your game is likely subtly broken if you didn't delete the old d_init.txt. The keybindings should also be avoided with the older version.

Thank you for responding with that quote!

I edited the inits myself, but thanks. Also, what are your key bindings?
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 03, 2015, 04:33:51 pm »

Great!
Best tileset ever  :)
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: Improved ASCII for DF 0.42.02 (10x10/20x20)
« Reply #264 on: December 07, 2015, 11:05:38 am »

Updated to 0.42.02 and the version has been incremented to XXIV. If I knew I would still be maintaining and updating this tileset years later I wouldn't have chosen such a pretentious versioning system.

The full graphics raws are up. Barring any vanilla bugs, elves, humans, kobolds, and goblins should always be assigned their appropriate icon no matter what strange job they find themselves in as a fortress resident.

The actual tilesets have barely been adjusted at all: the sheet tile was off by a pixel. I might improve it more. I was expecting to adjust the kerning on the sans serif version based on some claims on the Dwarf Fortress sub-reddit that it wasn't perfect, but upon closer examination there's nothing I can really do: many letters have an odd number of pixels as their width, which makes them impossible to center properly without redrawing them.

I also made the drastic change depicted below, but there's no way I'm going to make it the default.

In the one-shots folder is this "dwarf letters" variant. I haven't seen this idea come up before, which surprises me. I've grown to quite like it in the several hours I've spent with it, but I'm aware it's a controversial change so it's in the one-shots folder. Be sure to turn off graphics if you use this, for obvious reasons. Rationale follows:

The only reason I made racial graphics to begin with was the visual disparity between dwarves, humans, elves, goblins, and kobolds. Despite the focus on dwarves, Tarn and Zach have always maintained that the game is/will be a "fantasy world generator", not just a "dwarf game". I've always liked the other DF races as much as the dwarves, and the visual disparity bothered me. The racial graphics are an imperfect idea due to vanilla bugs and my oddly limited choice of race. (Why kobolds and not gremlins? Trolls? Animal people?) TWBT is an option, but I often play without DFHack and I can only do so much with 10x10 to differentiate races anyways. This is my offered alternate solution, and I rather like it.

As always, comments and criticism are welcome. Screenshots are especially welcome, but I rarely get those. I'll look into fixing up the dwarf letters a little more, and I might update the sheet tile again.

I edited the inits myself, but thanks. Also, what are your key bindings?

Apologies for the delayed response. My keybindings change the mouse wheel to scroll through z-levels, rather than zoom. I personally dislike the zoom feature, but that functionality is still available if you hold down the Ctrl key while you use the mouse wheel. They aren't installed by default, but are available in the alternates folder. This is much more pleasant to me than using the < and > keys.

Great!
Best tileset ever  :)

Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:11:29 pm by Taffer »

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 07, 2015, 12:17:34 pm »

Why is blood brown in your color scheme? Is there any way I can change it back to red?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 07, 2015, 12:27:04 pm »

Why is blood brown in your color scheme? Is there any way I can change it back to red?

I have no earthly clue. Give me a few minutes to puzzle this out: both red colors in my color scheme are properly red looking, the game literally seems to be selecting brown as the color for blood with that color scheme (and only that one).

Presumably the file structure is off in a subtle way. For now, switch to a different color scheme.

Colors were too similar. I changed the brown color and the issue fixed itself. Try updating, and thank you for the bug report!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:42:03 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 07, 2015, 04:29:14 pm »

Once again, my impatience to release things early has resulted in a flurry of small updates. I'm up to version XXV. Apologies! There's no problems this time at all, and no changes whatsoever to the main set. This release just improves the "dwarf letters" variant a little.

I might end up being the only one using it, but at least it looks nicer than it did this morning. A version is included for every main tileset variant of mine except for the diagonal walls.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 07, 2015, 04:44:25 pm »

Might I recommend changing the download link to https://github.com/nc-z/taffer/raw/master/taffer.zip ? It's quicker and less complicated to download that way.
EDIT: The default graphics show up when I install the tileset and turn on graphics. You should be able to fix that by putting a blank graphics_example.txt in your raw/graphics to overwrite it
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:55:08 pm by palu »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 07, 2015, 05:02:01 pm »

Might I recommend changing the download link to https://github.com/nc-z/taffer/raw/master/taffer.zip ? It's quicker and less complicated to download that way.
EDIT: The default graphics show up when I install the tileset and turn on graphics. You should be able to fix that by putting a blank graphics_example.txt in your raw/graphics to overwrite it

Done, and fixed. Thanks again.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50