Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 457118 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Last update posted, with alternate. I can do requests, but barring another new version that mucks things up or a mysteriously-hitherto-undiscovered-graphical-oddity (unlikely), this is looking to be good, even for a perfectionist like me. Please don't hesitate to post, and check back every now and then just in case!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 03:40:28 pm by Taffer »

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Last update posted, with alternate. I can do requests, but barring another new version that mucks things up or a mysteriously-hitherto-undiscovered-graphical-oddity (unlikely), this is looking to be good, even for a perfectionist like me. Please don't hesitate to post, and check back every now and then just in case!

I've been using your tileset for a while and I have to say it's by far the best I've seen. I edited mine slightly due to a preference for sans-serif typefaces and I only have a couple of other minor changes to bring up. Firstly the barrel symbol is also used in screw pumps and looks a bit odd. The £ symbol also seems to fit poorly with the rest of the set. Other than that it's really clean and attractive tileset with the best bits from the more traditional ascii and more detailed sets out there.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been using your tileset for a while and I have to say it's by far the best I've seen. I edited mine slightly due to a preference for sans-serif typefaces and I only have a couple of other minor changes to bring up. Firstly the barrel symbol is also used in screw pumps and looks a bit odd. The £ symbol also seems to fit poorly with the rest of the set. Other than that it's really clean and attractive tileset with the best bits from the more traditional ascii and more detailed sets out there.

Thank you for the compliment, and the report! Done and done. Metal symbol should hopefully fit in better, and I've sacrificed cool little barrel icons for a more vanilla feel, keeping the "barreled" versions up. Let me know if it's what you had in mind! I tried to get a better division symbol, but kept with that one for consistency with the % symbol for screw pumps.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:51:00 am by Taffer »

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you for the compliment, and the report! Done and done. Metal symbol should hopefully fit in better, and I've sacrificed cool little barrel icons for a more vanilla feel, keeping the "barreled" versions up. Let me know if it's what you had in mind! I tried to get a better division symbol, but kept with that one for consistency with the % symbol for screw pumps.

That's alright, and I know what you mean about the division symbol. The more "realistic" barrel icon looks nicer. Perhaps it would be a good idea to change both the flat and slanted division symbols to reach a compromise where the barrels look good but the screw pumps are still consistent?

edit: It might be idea to completely change the secondary tile of the screw pump. The only other non-changable item using that tile is prepared meals, and there isn't really a tile design set aside for that so I doubt that it would matter changing it. I'm thinking of changing mine to the same as tile 126 (the single tilde) to look like fluid flow. No rock currently uses that tile so there shouldn't be any need for raw changes either.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:10:40 am by vidboi »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's alright, and I know what you mean about the division symbol. The more "realistic" barrel icon looks nicer. Perhaps it would be a good idea to change both the flat and slanted division symbols to reach a compromise where the barrels look good but the screw pumps are still consistent?

edit: It might be idea to completely change the secondary tile of the screw pump. The only other non-changable item using that tile is prepared meals, and there isn't really a tile design set aside for that so I doubt that it would matter changing it. I'm thinking of changing mine to the same as tile 126 (the single tilde) to look like fluid flow. No rock currently uses that tile so there shouldn't be any need for raw changes either.

I'm not sure if there's a solution to this that I'm satisfied with. For complete compatibility with mods and future updates, I'd like to stick close to the default. The division symbol is more abstract and unlikely to be used, but replacing the percentage symbol seems likely to bite me in the ass sooner or later. I've been fiddling with things, but no luck so far.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:25:39 am by Taffer »

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if there's a solution to this that I'm satisfied with. For complete compatibility with mods and future updates, I'd like to stick close to the default. The division symbol is more abstract and unlikely to be used, but replacing the percentage symbol seems likely to bite me in the ass sooner or later. I've been fiddling with things, but no luck so far.

I had a look through the tileset repository and the only style of barrel used that wasn't Anikki one or the original fraction symbol is in an old tileset by savok which has multiple horzontal lines instead of vertical.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Inverting the colours seems to work quite well, giving these kind of results for barrels and pumps:

I'm sure it could do with some work but it's the only compromise I've found that works.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

well I hope you do stick to how vanilla is setup, Regeneration is going to be Ascii based for a bit and having this linked as a suggested Tileset. So please :P try your best to keep it as close to vanilla, at least tile position and looks wise. Great work btw

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a look through the tileset repository and the only style of barrel used that wasn't Anikki one or the original fraction symbol is in an old tileset by savok which has multiple horzontal lines instead of vertical.

Inverting the colours seems to work quite well, giving these kind of results for barrels and pumps:

I'm sure it could do with some work but it's the only compromise I've found that works.

I saw that tile. Let me experiment with things for a little and see what I think. Now that you've mentioned the problem it's been driving me nuts. I think I'll stick with what I have up for now, but I'll be tinkering with it for the next while to see what I think. Thanks again for bringing it to my attention! To my chagrin (I kind of miss my nice barrels), I think I'll need to stick with what I have. The three lines are nice, but if they don't look like a rotated screw pump % then I might a well stick with the best barrel option.

well I hope you do stick to how vanilla is setup, Regeneration is going to be Ascii based for a bit and having this linked as a suggested Tileset. So please :P try your best to keep it as close to vanilla, at least tile position and looks wise. Great work btw

I'm honored! More exposure is more better. Never fear, sticking close to ASCII isn't an option, it's a necessity.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 01:10:51 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apologies for the delay in updating, everyone! Planning for a wedding and whatnot, real life consumed me for a bit. I'll be making this work tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion, vidboi!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:45:30 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets (New beta version! Seeking feedback/advice!)
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2012, 11:09:14 am »

Posted beta version. After hours tooling around with hex colour codes, transparency values, even delving into tileset colouring math, I'm giving up. So that the effort is not wasted, I've posted my work, as it's probably satisfactory for some people. Free cookies my kingdom to anyone that can force Dwarf Fortress to display the user's chosen background colour on specific pixels. #000000 works, provided you happen to have a black background, and transparencies "work", by creating a colour that will almost match the background. Unfortunately, as soon as Toady or a modder finds alternate uses or colours for the barrel, or if the barrel isn't made out of nice, brown wood, it all falls down.

EDIT: Also threw up a better version, and redid the first post. After the last flurry of updates I'm out, unless somebody manages to fix my perfectionist background problem.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:45:29 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets (Beautified ASCII! Sticks closely to default!)
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2012, 10:50:35 am »

Apologies for yet another post! I think there's too many of mine in a row? Can't even delete the last ones. I confess to holding off on posting this for a while in the off chance that somebody posted, but things look fairly quiet and I'm about to head off for a bit, so I'm going ahead with it. I updated without a post once, but this time the changes are more obvious, and thus warrant a new post, in my opinion, if only so that anyone using it knows things have been updated.

As stated, more obvious changes than usual, details are in the changelog. Most obvious are the stylization of dwarves, withered plants/tendrils, and the stockpile symbol getting a little fatter to match the aesthetic. I've not updated the alternates as the list was growing unwieldy, and the changelog has been eliminated with the exception of the last change, which houses the alternates and the last version if the changes are disliked. If updated alternates or older versions are requested I'll happily post or PM them. I was considering abandoning the few graphical symbols remaining in favour of the "card suits" of the proper game, but even I'm not ready for that change yet. If I get a request I'll make it happen, though, probably as an alternate. Seriously considering, at a minimum, restoring cedar trees to their glorifious, weird vertical resize arrow selves, but feedback on this would be great.

Pansy adventurer mode screenshots for now as my current fort is somewhat lacking. Will stealthily update original post when it gets better. I'd promise that this is the last version, but the last two times I thought that I proved myself terrifically wrong. Still, I think the new version is much better than the old versions, and as I've had no dissent thus far I suppose progress is better than silence. Please let me know what you think!

EDIT: Back sooner than expected. Whipped up "vanilla" versions with default card suits, thus bringing Taffer entirely in line with the ASCII.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:38:15 pm by Taffer »

Krabocopter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd really like to say thank you for your splendid work
I've already been using it for quite some time and will post the screens of my fortress
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BywsLJtd2usmMWcwcWUwbUhQelk
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BywsLJtd2usmbjUwQnVqakoyV0U

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd really like to say thank you for your splendid work
I've already been using it for quite some time and will post the screens of my fortress
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BywsLJtd2usmMWcwcWUwbUhQelk
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BywsLJtd2usmbjUwQnVqakoyV0U

Thank you for the screenshots, and the compliment! Mind if I link to the post in the thread? I confess that I'm lacking in good screenshots right now. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I'll see if I can anticipate the next release, with those footprints and paw prints. The second last tile might be a bit too small compared to the original, but I'll see what happens with the next release.

Krabocopter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're welcome to use my screens

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're welcome to use my screens

Thank you kindly. I just linked to them in the thread, it's nice to get additional screenshots up for people. I was jealous of your embark and puzzled by the trees and rocks, until I realized that you were running a mod.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:51:30 pm by Taffer »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50