Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 459522 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

I think the 20x30 size works better, I put a little bit of unsharp mask on the 30x45 but I'm not quite happy with it compared to the smaller one, this is the 4chan variant btw, went with TafferChan20x30.png:

and

TafferChan30x45.png:

Just noting again, I love dorfletters so much.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:09:23 pm by Max™ »

deepfield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you so much for updating this to 42.06. I just can't seem to play DF without you!  :D :D :D

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New release (XXVII).

I have to agree that I prefer the weird f over the || for plants. the || is just too jarring.

I also personally prefer the diagonal lined walls over the circle filled ones.

That tree with the hanging vegetation is interesting but I'm not a fan of the fat hill shaped things at all.

The tendril/eye shaped things are neat, and they're not bad, but I'd personally not use them. I like the more symmetrical clean ascii and I think that's what stays more in line with the tileset as a whole.

The lobster, rope, "r" thing, are all nice changes though, as are the ramps.

As far as the shading thing goes in terms of making the features darker, I'm not really sure either way, doesn't seem to make a big enough difference for it to matter one way or another.

Thank you again for your feedback. I got rid of the darker features and the new tendrils, but kept the new bottom-row eyeball after all. Hope you like the update, otherwise! I'll sit on the more graphical tiles I made for a while. I'm still hoping for a response from the tileset author I took inspiration from (for the tiles I'm still sitting on), and I don't want to shift the tileset back towards being graphical after all: I'll probably release an alternate "graphical" variant at some point, including the new trees. I'll need to work on things more before then.

Well, every time I tried to smooth the edges it came out looking like crap compared to how it was originally, so I am extra impressed at how well your overall aesthetic works even at larger scales.

This is why I removed the smoothed variant, and why I've stalled redrawing it. It's not that the work is hard, it's that the font and aesthetic look off to me whenever I try to smooth the edges. I'm also happy to have a new "dwarf letters" convert.

The dwarven "d" and mug comparison is funny, but entirely coincidental. It is fitting.

Your larger and stretched variants are interesting, by the way.

To the mod maker: Thank you so much! This just made playing DF much easier on my eyes and less depressing for me.

You're welcome! My first reaction to Dwarf Fortress was how bad I thought it looked, and it wasn't because I dislike ASCII games. The default colour scheme and the default tiles don't do the game many favours, even if many have grown fond of them.

Thank you so much for updating this to 42.06. I just can't seem to play DF without you!  :D :D :D

You're welcome. I can't play DF without me either.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 12:06:02 am by Taffer »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

I tried to smooth them several times but dammit it is frustrating that I can't find a way to do anything but make it look worse, so I just said screw it and left them as is. The dorfletters seem like something that should have been done before, yanno?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More rambling about upcoming changes. I'm oddly verbose about this and I'm rather grateful for the people that do give feedback. Thank you! It keeps me from accepting that I'm rambling on about things few care about.

Preview of the second set of changes. I'm targeting the trees, without straying from the "code page purity". I'm more confident about these changes, so I'll probably just submit them in a day or two. The weight/tropical tree (squarish tree) change might not make it in, even if it's more in line with vanilla. I'll be redrawing the paper/papyrus tile as well. With all my talk of "code page purity", I'm really tempted to redraw the 1/2 and 1/4 tiles more abstractly and say stuff it to keeping them as fractions. Ditto with the ladder tile at the end of the post.

I can actually tell the difference between tropical trees and swamp trees at a glance now. As mentioned, the tropical tree is a little "square-like" for me, but it doubles as a weight symbol so my hands are tied. I'm uncertain whether to stick with this squarish "default-inspired" tile, or to just keep using the existing weight symbol/tropical tree.

Tiles 166 and 167 (ª and º) are hideous. Look at them, infecting the middle of the map. Out of all the remaining tiles, they're the ones that annoy me most. They somehow manage to bear even less resemblance to what they're supposed to than almost any other tiles. I have no earthly clue how to draw a tiny tile that resembles both cloth and a dark pit. If I come up with something, expect it soon as well.

The remaining handful of tiles I'm willing to release are below.

The first tile is a scroll, for the paper tile. It's not the one I'll be using, but I'm rather proud of it anyways. The instrument is too "graphical" for the tileset, and the tile is likely to be re-purposed at a later date anyways. I'm still feeling rather artistic, so there will hopefully be a more updates coming.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:39:14 am by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Released XXVIII. Still considering squaring the "tropical tree/weight" tile ( or ). Also considering changing my versioning system to one that doesn't make me look like a twonk.

I'm contemplating shifting the holes down a pixel on the new world map goblin tiles/cloth (), to differentiate 167 from 248 and to make 167 look a little more like a "dark pit". Apologies if these new tiles don't appeal to you: I can always revert them to something resembling what they were previously (). I really want an attractive world map and those tiles were too abstract with superfluous lines.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 12:16:21 pm by Taffer »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm all for differentiating the weight tile by making it more square. Looks good.

I think a major advantage of the lines you deleted from the cloth/pit tiles is that it's easier to distinguish from 'a' and 'o' at a glance.
I'm not sure if that's necessary in the case of DF, but maybe making the graphics even  smaller instead would help nonetheless.
About the scroll/paper tile, why not use the same tile as cloth? rolled up paper, rolled up cloth, and a scroll all look identical if we consider the pixel dimensions we're working with. I always thought the a looked perfect for that. Alternatively, '~' also kind of looks like a piece of cloth/paper.

I'm not a too big fan of the "willow" tile having two "hanging branches" - as varying line width and the resulting inconsistency is probably the thing that annoys me the most in my own tileset, and considering that it's the only tile in your tileset that uses a 1-pixel line in that way it seems like a choice for the worse.
And with the weight symbol being more square, it seems unnecessary for the sake of easy distinguishing.

By the way, posting gifs directly showing the difference makes posting feedback a real breeze.
Also, your other recent changes look great.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX

I do not believe 166 is ever used for goblin sites.
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm all for differentiating the weight tile by making it more square. Looks good.

I think a major advantage of the lines you deleted from the cloth/pit tiles is that it's easier to distinguish from 'a' and 'o' at a glance.
I'm not sure if that's necessary in the case of DF, but maybe making the graphics even  smaller instead would help nonetheless.
About the scroll/paper tile, why not use the same tile as cloth? rolled up paper, rolled up cloth, and a scroll all look identical if we consider the pixel dimensions we're working with. I always thought the a looked perfect for that. Alternatively, '~' also kind of looks like a piece of cloth/paper.

I'm not a too big fan of the "willow" tile having two "hanging branches" - as varying line width and the resulting inconsistency is probably the thing that annoys me the most in my own tileset, and considering that it's the only tile in your tileset that uses a 1-pixel line in that way it seems like a choice for the worse.
And with the weight symbol being more square, it seems unnecessary for the sake of easy distinguishing.

By the way, posting gifs directly showing the difference makes posting feedback a real breeze.
Also, your other recent changes look great.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm rather hesitant about the willow tree, as I rather like how swamps look now and the replacement tiles I've drawn for it haven't evoked the same effect, but I'll think on it some more. No rush, as I'm out of immediate ideas except for squaring the weight symbol.

I definitely should have made better use of animated gifs in the past, yes.

I do not believe 166 is ever used for goblin sites.

I don't think so either, but I was deferring to the wiki. I don't recall seeing it in use, but I wanted it to be visually consistent with 167 anyways.

166 - ª - Goblin settlements on world map.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like most of the changes. I do not like the circle walls. I always liked the clean diagonal shading. I'm iffy about the ramps, but I'm sure I'll come around.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Released version 29. This is my last set of changes for now--unless I change the willow tree tile--and comprises a few minor changes intended to clean up my last world map annoyances. There's little I can do about remaining kerning/alignment issues such as hills being higher than trees or grass higher than everything else, but hilly regions at least look more visually consistent. I should probably have chosen a better preview map: this change is more striking with a larger hilly area.

I wanted to get this out and finished before the next DF version. I'm going to stop here, as I don't want to get carried away.
Serif:
Sans:

I fixed up the kerning a little a few versions ago and forgot to mention it. Hopefully the changes made in the last few versions don't prove controversial going forward, but personally I think I've made some substantial improvements. The world map in particular looks much nicer to my eyes.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:00:18 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For posterity's sake I'm posting some more rejected tiles in case people want to edit them in. Some gender symbols that better resemble a bag and an amulet:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 01:37:50 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Version 30. Nobody will believe me, but this really is my last release--barring criticism or a Dwarf Fortress update--for some time. I hadn't taken the some of the critiques I received into account, and after some thought I've remedied things. Hopefully this release is more to your liking, Vherid and CLA. The new willow tree and paper tiles aren't necessarily ideal, but they're much closer to the ASCII, better address CLA's criticism, and best of all, they're mirrored. Toady can now screw up other tilesets by reusing these tiles with their mirrored state in mind and I'll be ready (bring it on). The tree's a bit thick, but if adjusted, the paper is too thin. I prefer the thickness here, but let me know if you disagree.

Thank you again to everybody that posted feedback. Let me know if you feel that something is slightly screwed up again.

The tendril/eye shaped things are neat, and they're not bad, but I'd personally not use them. I like the more symmetrical clean ascii and I think that's what stays more in line with the tileset as a whole.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 01:39:13 pm by Taffer »

deepfield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome :D I'm glad you decided to go with the more clean version. I agree, it does fit in much better with your style!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 50