Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 459608 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

So Taffer users are cooler than average, no surprise there. :P

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I found myself sticking with Taffer for most of the reasons on the list. I want to play the latest DF as soon as it's released and Taffer's sets Just Work. No hanging around for raws to be updated, no need to wait for Dfhack and whatever. It's also at a decent size, unlike many of the ascii-like sets (at the time I started using it at least) which I just can't see on my monitor (either that or the colours are too damn dark for my eyes/monitor settings). Taffer's just right. It's also simple to add in dorf graphics whenever you feel like a change.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some results from a recent survey:

Thank you very much for the data. I like data. How many Taffer users responded?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So Taffer users are cooler than average, no surprise there. :P
I'm guessing this is a reference to the Operating System question showing that Taffer users are over twice as likely to be using Mac or Linux. This might be related to the fact that Taffer is bundled with Mac and Linux versions of the Lazy Newb Pack. That probably gets it some additional exposure with those users.

Thank you very much for the data. I like data. How many Taffer users responded?

14 out of 749 said they use Taffer. That doesn't mean that there's only 14 Taffer users, though. The survey was mostly only seen by people who were on the subreddit during the first day or two before it got buried and who bothered to fill it out. The survey didn't get as many upvotes as I had hoped, so that hurt its visibility too.

I think a 2% marketshare sounds pretty good for a tileset that 86% of its users are having to manually download and install themselves. (Only 14% of Taffer users look like they are using a launcher that is bundled with Taffer.)

Spoiler: For comparison… (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lord knows we like it over on /dfg/ and whatnot. Though naturally I don't mind offering my own set if folks ask for a higher res tileset, but I do keep a copy of the taffer 4chan set on hand. It's hip!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but here's some examples of what Taffer 20x20 would look like with Taffer 10x10 as its TWBT font (with space added to turn it into Taffer 10x20).

FootofVecna

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I don't like to nitpick - but the not-quite-black background really drives me a bit nuts. How can I make it black?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't like to nitpick - but the not-quite-black background really drives me a bit nuts. How can I make it black?

Open the "colors.ini" file in a text editor. (Located in /data/init/)

There will be three lines near the top that will have something like "Black_x: 40".

Change the numbers on those three black lines to "0" for a pure black. (Conversely, for a pure white you would change the three numbers to 255.)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

for me the use of nonsquare fonts with a square graphicstileset is one of the major reasons to use TWBT.
could i just resize a font in Photoshop by resizing the .png?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

for me the use of nonsquare fonts with a square graphicstileset is one of the major reasons to use TWBT.
could i just resize a font in Photoshop by resizing the .png?
Yeah, but you'll get nasty resizing artifacts. In either case, enlarging the shorter side is better than shortening the big side.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it's important for the vertical height of the main graphics tilesheet to match the vertical height of the TWBT text tilesheet for it to look good.

If you scale a tilesheet, it will be necessary to clean it up afterwards to remove any blurring that crossed the tile boundaries. The box characters might need some extra fixing up to make them look correct after a scaling.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

i only understood half of what you said, but i don't want to derail the thread, so i don't ask.
some graphic oddness might occur from using the LNP, as it sometimes uses graphicsets with overrides in different tilesizes, that then get scaled, meaning it always looks odd.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, it's quite a task rescaling and then cleaning any errors. I'm sure there are programs and algorithms that reduce the necessary cleanup but I just have GIMP so I make do as I can.

Some sets are easier than others, Taffer's are frustrating as hell sometimes because they are very painstakingly tuned for the square layout and it's hard to emulate the same visual effects even if you just do a pure cleanup. Need to include different touches that fall into the art side rather than the technical side. There's a reason I love my "chop the blocky pixelation into a cut-corner diagonal and call it a day" set. I suck at getting curves that please my eye to work and some rescales really need the curves to be fixed.

Nopal

<Deleted>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:03:46 pm by Nopal »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's why I swear by translucent ground tiles.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50