Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 457850 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Things used by that tile:

• Mined out stone*
  • solid workshop tile for several workshops like the magma smelter
  • river sources in main map
  • caves in main map
  • moon on travel map
  • flower buds*

I'm not seeing anything listed that would necesarily look better with a radial symmetry except maybe the moon in adventure mode.

I guess it wouldn't have to be an oval to be distinguished from the ground – maybe making the circle graphic bigger would fix the problem too.

That's why I swear by translucent ground tiles.

Do you accomplish this by turning off tile variation and deleting the period from the tilesheet?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

I mean translucent backgrounds (a layer of white with between 25 and 50 percent opacity usually) to those tiles used on the ground/map stuff, it would be nice if you could still get the pure black background for ,.'` in text, but I can handle a bit of shading around them in exchange for pretty green quilts of varied grass and whatnot, and it makes things laying on the ground stand out really clearly.

Nopal

<Deleted>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:05:57 pm by Nopal »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean translucent backgrounds (a layer of white with between 25 and 50 percent opacity usually) to those tiles used on the ground/map stuff, it would be nice if you could still get the pure black background for ,.'` in text, but I can handle a bit of shading around them in exchange for pretty green quilts of varied grass and whatnot, and it makes things laying on the ground stand out really clearly.

Thanks, I think I misread what you said before and got confused. Text with highlighted punctuation is kind of annoying, but it definitely makes the game world look nicer.

I think the oval is more easy to identify but you're right a bigger circle will work too

I think ovals might look a bit better for the caves, reservoirs, and magma smelters too.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah the translucent backgrounds are awesome but i don't know how it will look on a small 10x10 tileset like taffer
(My screen is too small and i can't use the 20x20 variant :-\)

I guess it wouldn't have to be an oval to be distinguished from the ground – maybe making the circle graphic bigger would fix the problem too.

I think the oval is more easy to identify but you're right a bigger circle will work too

Just did the general ground tile tricks I do with the black so the inverted engraved tiles are grey instead of blinding white and the white for the ground tiles so they show up as a slightly faded background around the relevant tiles, some of the furniture too just because they blend in nicer I think..

The white parts might be a little too opaque, as I did it all on one layer as a test really.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess the top half of the bed was shaded darker than the bottom half to make it look more like it had a pillow?

Did you leave 6 of the double wall tiles unshaded on purpose? (the ones circled below)
Spoiler: "unshaded wall tiles" (click to show/hide)

If so, how come?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mistake, and yeah, habit to leave the top of the bed darker.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just did the general ground tile tricks I do with the black so the inverted engraved tiles are grey instead of blinding white and the white for the ground tiles so they show up as a slightly faded background around the relevant tiles, some of the furniture too just because they blend in nicer I think..

The white parts might be a little too opaque, as I did it all on one layer as a test really.
Thanks for the example and explanation of your tile-shading tricks.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Everything should work fine in 0.43.04. I updated the date in init.txt to minimize changes with upstream, but this is far too minor a fix to warrant a new release.

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but here's some examples of what Taffer 20x20 would look like with Taffer 10x10 as its TWBT font (with space added to turn it into Taffer 10x20).

Interesting idea, but to be honest I'm uncertain about the extra tall effect. Perhaps if the font wasn't 10x20? At any rate, when I have time I'll be submitting my tilesets to the Starter Pack. Users will be able to use my tilesets as TWBT fonts there. I don't have any plans to make my pack reliant on TWBT.

I stop using this tileset because the rocks are really hard to see...

Maybe i am the only one who bother this stones so i'm not going to ask for a bigger tile.

I made this little comic btw :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thank you for the comic, and the stones! I already know how to fix this and when I have some time in a few days I'll do a proper update, including this. I'm not one for shaded backgrounds myself. Vherid suggested the same thing earlier in the thread. Thank you kindly for bringing this to my attention: the posts I appreciate the most are the ones with interesting criticism, and you even did a little comic to boot. Thanks again!

EDIT: I only just noticed that his hat has a double-ledged "d". Good show.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:58:54 pm by Taffer »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile

Well, not so much suggestion as it is just to say shaded backgrounds can look neat.

A different stone icon would be nice though, it can indeed get lost in the noise as it currently stands. I always liked the idea of something square/cubic as even in mining do dwarves carve out neat shapes.

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile

Will we see a fix for the known graphical issues? I absolutely love this tileset otherwise. Thanks Taffer. Also, the sparring notification is pretty hard to see.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:32:03 am by Chase »
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, not so much suggestion as it is just to say shaded backgrounds can look neat.

A different stone icon would be nice though, it can indeed get lost in the noise as it currently stands. I always liked the idea of something square/cubic as even in mining do dwarves carve out neat shapes.

I like a square rock block as well, but because it's used by the moon I'll probably err on the side of roundness.

Will we see a fix for the known graphical issues? I absolutely love this tileset otherwise. Thanks Taffer. Also, the sparring notification is pretty hard to see.

Thank you kindly! When you say that the sparring notification is hard to see, do you mean the default colour scheme? (Taffer) There's four in the download, or five if you count the vanilla colours. I'll take a look at it.

The known graphical issues aren't fixable by me. They're source code issues, not issues with my set. If they bother you, edit init.txt and set [GRAPHICS:YES] to [GRAPHICS:NO]. This will remove both racial graphics and the bugs accompanying them.

With that being said, there's another way. Dwarves are the only ones special enough for a unique icon. This is consistent with the name and current focus but--in my opinion--inconsistent with the game's stated future direction. Rather than add graphics for non-dwarves, you can remove graphics from dwarves. My set includes a "dwarf letters" set.

If you see a graphical bug that I haven't documented in known_issues.txt, kindly let me know as it might be my fault and I can fix it. Feedback is rare and I make mistakes.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:41:34 am by Taffer »

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile

I like a square rock block as well, but because it's used by the moon I'll probably err on the side of roundness.

Thank you kindly! When you say that the sparring notification is hard to see, do you mean the default colour scheme? (Taffer) There's four in the download, or five if you count the vanilla colours. I'll take a look at it.

The known graphical issues aren't fixable by me. They're source code issues, not issues with my set. If they bother you, edit init.txt and set [GRAPHICS:YES] to [GRAPHICS:NO]. This will remove both racial graphics and the bugs accompanying them.

With that being said, there's another way. Dwarves are the only ones special enough for a unique icon. This is consistent with the name and current focus but--in my opinion--inconsistent with the game's stated future direction. Rather than add graphics for non-dwarves, you can remove graphics from dwarves. My set includes a "dwarf letters" set.

If you see a graphical bug that I haven't documented in known_issues.txt, kindly let me know as it might be my fault and I can fix it. Feedback is rare and I make mistakes.

It's most likely your default color scheme the S blends in with the UI a bit.
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Proof that things are moving along slowly:

Some punctuation fixes and an early attempt at fixing the "hidden boulders" problem. It's subtle, but with punctuation looking more like punctuation boulders come out looking more distinct. If that doesn't fix things to people's satisfaction, speak up.

I still have to look at colour schemes, redo most of my preview images, and complete the new tilesets.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 11:05:55 pm by Taffer »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, the little swoop on the comma helps.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50