Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 457822 times)

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics 35: better "default" graphics [10x/20x]
« Reply #405 on: July 09, 2016, 11:42:11 am »

Not sure why it's necessary to bring Nazism into your criticism, but I'm sorry that you dislike the new colours. Glad that you like the new changes otherwise.

I find Pastel Psygnosia to be cheerful, personally: everything may be desaturated, but it's pastel coloured. It reminds me of children's chalk drawings. The greys are quite dark by design, to contrast with the pastels: digging is dangerous, but the surface still looks nice and cheerful. I probably won't touch this colour scheme at all, I like it too much as it is.

I'm not really sure what to do about the "Taffer" colours at this point. Chase made a valid point that revealed a deeper problem with the set: it was difficult to differentiate red from light red, blue from light blue, etc. The grey's were far too light for the places Toady uses them, as well. I made the greys slightly darker to help with contrast. While this did end up making everything look a bit darker, things also got easier to see. Light grey in particular had a tinge of green that it probably shouldn't have.

I did darken many colours, but not dramatically so. I tried to bring things more in line with vanilla--which is much darker than what I have for most colours--but when I find time I'll go back and redo this colour scheme again. I'll probably use the v30's colours for everything except for the greys, but make the dark colours only one shade darker. Readability in some areas will still suffer, but it should still end up better than it was and it will be closer to what you prefer than what I currently have.

Thank you for the critique!

Eh, the black letter thing or whatever that was shown/talked of reminded me of the WW2 thing (of course it wasn't necessary!) for a moment and I was also pissed at the time so I couldn't think straight! >_< Was just trying to give an example and probably failing at it gloriously due to me being pissed off.

I personally can't find anything wrong with the v30's default color scheme mainly I guess because I'm bit of a tetrachromat (I can literally spend hours or more just deciding which hue to use), heck I can even take this test if I wore glasses: http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge and even without glasses I can tell hues apart even now but with some effort put in of bloody course (can't use the glasses with headphones on as it's painful after 2 hours). I wasn't aware the red and light red was difficult to tell apart because of my unique ability to tell colors and their hues apart. More like "depressing to see" now in my IMHO.

Point is I just find the new colors dull and extremely depressing plus the change from regular purple to a very dull reddish mixed with pink color.. I don't take change well, especially if it's having a depressing effect on my mental state. Sorry. I like this tileset also for its vibrant but soft colors.. the new change just tore them all out in terms of colors. But thankfully at least I can use the color.txt file from the v30 version, so... *rant off*

EDIT2: Your pack is still awesome, just not with the new colors. Old colors are fine. New are not. Final comment: Gonna take a long break. People... annoying. Must. Rest.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:01:51 am by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 23, 2016, 11:29:46 pm »

A strange mood struck me while reading the Brothers Karamazov. Previewing Taffer Moscow:

It's the English alphabet with the veneer of faux-Cyrillic. Originating font is here. If you know Cyrillic then try not to let г (here as F, not G) or Я (here as R, not Ya) bother you. Д (D) is probably incorrect for Russian, but it works for English. Of course, I had to replace $ with ₽. Most of the code-page has been brought in line with the aesthetic, including the walls. I'll use bearded dwarves for the standard versions because I know some prefer it and because Russia and beards seem to go together.

This is the tileset I'm most proud of, even if it's an odd one. I probably did a better job here than on the blackletter variants. Dedicated to Vherid.

Aside from general polish and the wall/dwarf variants, I still need to improve my blackletter tilesets and create a new CLA tileset. Motivation is still low and life is still busy.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:30:01 am by Taffer »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 24, 2016, 09:42:41 am »

A strange mood struck me while reading the Brothers Karamazov. Previewing Taffer Moscow:

It's the English alphabet with the veneer of faux-Cyrillic. Originating font is here. If you know Cyrillic then try not to let г (here as F, not G) or Я (here as R, not Ya) bother you. Д (D) is probably incorrect for Russian, but it works for English. Of course, I had to replace $ with ₽. Most of the code-page has been brought in line with the aesthetic, including the walls. I'll use bearded dwarves for the standard versions because I know some prefer it and because Russia and beards seem to go together.

This is the tileset I'm most proud of, even if it's an odd one. I probably did a better job here than on the blackletter variants. Dedicated to Vherid.

Aside from general polish and the wall/dwarf variants, I still need to improve my blackletter tilesets and create a new CLA tileset. Motivation is still low and life is still busy.

I've always liked the idea of Cyrillic DF. Though I am a huge slavaboo, it gives fittingly brutal look for the game.

That was probably the most I messed around with the idea, trying to match up as many characters as close to the latin alphabet as possible instead of using the weird romanized similar shape idea. Though obviously there's a few issues, it was sort of neat.

I'm usually very much against the faux-Cyrillic in pretty much all instances, but here, I think it's used just sparingly enough that I don't really have a problem with the idea.

I also usually am very much against the idea of letters that all seem to be sort of different styles with each other, for example your uppercase is a lot more rigid where the lowercase has more flow.

However, this is actually the first time I've actually seen that work. It looks like it's own fitting style, and kind of gives DF it's own little flavor that actually works.

This is also nice because as much as I like black letter typesets, I think your black letter is probably a bit too much for the size it's rendered at. This however is a nice medium between that and your more regular tilesets. There are some things that might still be out of style with the rest of the set, but it's mostly pretty good. I like the Д dwarves.

The only issue I really see so far, is that, I can stretch the idea that г is an F, but when the lowercase R is the same exact thing just about, it leads me to reading the capital г as an R more likely. I think what you could do instead is, make both the R's: г, and then maybe do the Я in place of Y's. But I know you're trying to keep it latin with faux-Cyrillic which that would go against. I do like the г shape though. You could potentially move the г and replace the S with it, making it more of a super traditional black letter S. Though, it's only for lowercase.

You could start making it semi-Cyrillic and as I said earlier with the Я going to Y it sort of fits well enough to work, and г going to R for style, Ф could go to F instead. I don't know. Just some ideas to play around with. I think you could definitely go for the Бб B replacement, that's straightforward enough if you want more.

I think I'm gonna toy around with the idea of making a colorscheme specifically for this set though, I'll see if I come up with anything.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:48:52 am by Vherid »

Incantatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 27, 2016, 03:14:14 am »

Hey Taffer, i'm using your default color scheme. All well except vomit is blue. Shouldn't it be greenish, yellowish? Should i try another of the schemes?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 27, 2016, 09:33:24 am »

I've always liked the idea of Cyrillic DF. Though I am a huge slavaboo, it gives fittingly brutal look for the game.
That was probably the most I messed around with the idea, trying to match up as many characters as close to the latin alphabet as possible instead of using the weird romanized similar shape idea. Though obviously there's a few issues, it was sort of neat.

I'm usually very much against the faux-Cyrillic in pretty much all instances, but here, I think it's used just sparingly enough that I don't really have a problem with the idea.

I also usually am very much against the idea of letters that all seem to be sort of different styles with each other, for example your uppercase is a lot more rigid where the lowercase has more flow.

However, this is actually the first time I've actually seen that work. It looks like it's own fitting style, and kind of gives DF it's own little flavor that actually works.

This is also nice because as much as I like black letter typesets, I think your black letter is probably a bit too much for the size it's rendered at. This however is a nice medium between that and your more regular tilesets. There are some things that might still be out of style with the rest of the set, but it's mostly pretty good. I like the Д dwarves.

The only issue I really see so far, is that, I can stretch the idea that г is an F, but when the lowercase R is the same exact thing just about, it leads me to reading the capital г as an R more likely. I think what you could do instead is, make both the R's: г, and then maybe do the Я in place of Y's. But I know you're trying to keep it latin with faux-Cyrillic which that would go against. I do like the г shape though. You could potentially move the г and replace the S with it, making it more of a super traditional black letter S. Though, it's only for lowercase.

You could start making it semi-Cyrillic and as I said earlier with the Я going to Y it sort of fits well enough to work, and г going to R for style, Ф could go to F instead. I don't know. Just some ideas to play around with. I think you could definitely go for the Бб B replacement, that's straightforward enough if you want more.

I think I'm gonna toy around with the idea of making a colorscheme specifically for this set though, I'll see if I come up with anything.

Thank you for the praise and for the advice. I'll see about improving things without veering too far away from English: if I go too far I can always leave it in the alternative tilesets folder. Looking forward to seeing the colour scheme.

Hey Taffer, i'm using your default color scheme. All well except vomit is blue. Shouldn't it be greenish, yellowish? Should i try another of the schemes?

Thank you kindly for the report. I'll look into fixing that soon. I'm not really playing Dwarf Fortress recently, and none of the test games I played got far enough to have anybody vomit. Use a different colour scheme for now. Nothing's wrong with your game.

Dwarf Fortress has this quirky stupid thing where despite only supporting 16 colours, everything is actually stored in-game using RGB values and dynamically mapped to one of the 16 colours instead of just being stored that way. This serves no apparent purpose except to screw over anybody trying to make colour schemes, and is immensely frustrating. Apparently whatever colour vomit is stored as is closer to my blue colour than my green colour.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:58:54 am by Taffer »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 29, 2016, 03:44:12 pm »

I noticed in the credits section of the OP that you don't mention Dawnbringer. Do you know where his color palette came from?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 29, 2016, 04:28:23 pm »

I noticed in the credits section of the OP that you don't mention Dawnbringer. Do you know where his color palette came from?

Tricky question to answer exactly, and it depends in what sense you mean.

DawnBringer's palettes are here and here. Neither one is fit for Dwarf Fortress by itself, they need to be blended together. I either forgot to credit DawnBringer on the front page or figured that naming the colour scheme after the artist was enough.

Quote from: DawnBringer
And yeah...feel free to use this palette.

In terms of the colour scheme I distribute, I would need to dig that information up myself. I indendently made a DawnBringer palette some time ago: if the starter packs were distributing a variant of it at that time then I wasn't aware of it. At some point I mentioned it in an e-mail to DragonDePlatino, who provided me with a better version. I honestly don't recall if I'm currently using Dragon DePlatino's version or if I just fixed up my own version instead. It's possible that my DawnBringer set is identical to the other DawnBringer colour schemes I've seen floating around: it wouldn't surprise me, as I might have just used DragonDePlatino's version and we're all deriving from the same limited set of colours anyways.

All of that being said, in retrospect Dawnbringer is not a great palette for this kind of thing. It's intended as a palette you design a game or work of art around, not something you throw into an existing game. Anything cobbled together from those palettes doesn't really have the visual harmony the artist intended. There are better palettes out there, waiting to be used.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 11:07:00 am by Taffer »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 29, 2016, 04:46:48 pm »

Thanks for the info. In case anyone else is curious, Taffer and Wanderlust both use the same Dawnbringer. (Kynsmer said he got Dawnbringer from Taffer.) The Dawnbringer that is the default color palette of DragonDePlatino's DawnFortress, though, is a little different. It looks like he modified it to look better with Dwarf Fortress' TrueType font feature.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 30, 2016, 08:47:19 pm »

Fixed with version 36. Try the new release!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics 37: better "default" graphics [10x/20x]
« Reply #414 on: July 30, 2016, 09:24:41 pm »

Probably shouldn't have been so keen to push release 36, because here comes release 37 38.

Plus the Vherid variant, located in the miscellaneous tileset section. Hard to read but more Slavic.

These dwarves are bearded: the remaining tilesets and default graphics are not. As such, instructions have been left directing users to the miscellaneous folder to get their bearded dwarf graphics fix. I'm considering turning off racial graphics by default and then adding in a multiple-folder system for the racial graphics analogous to my current system for tilesets. This might be easier for users.

As always, feedback is welcome. Obviously double-sized versions of all the above are included, with the exception of vherid_moscow.

Next release--no plans at present--will be 3.9, not 39.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:37:18 pm by Taffer »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer: 66 ASCII tilesets. Racial graphics included. [v38][10x/20x]
« Reply #415 on: July 31, 2016, 01:10:42 am »

I have no idea how you pack so much detail into such tiny little tiles without it being cluttered, you're a madman.

Tallcastle

• Bay Watcher
  • Every nightmare you've ever had.
    • View Profile
    • Tallcastle's Graphics Repository - Bay 12 Forum
« Reply #416 on: July 31, 2016, 04:11:17 am »

its ... interesting ... sometimes.  or since we are talking about dwarf fortress ... its !!FUN!! sometimes. It can also be pretty entertaining if your wacky enough to enjoy that kind of thing
(you know ... like me)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Skilled Pixel Artist(Link)
Prone to flights of fancy.
Dreams of crafting a Masterwork Pixel Art Some Day

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 13, 2016, 05:58:26 pm »

Soyuz

« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 08:33:22 am by Vherid »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 14, 2016, 01:11:41 am »

Soyuz

Great work! It seems to fit the colour scheme well. Having yellow instead of magenta is an interesting stylistic choice. My favourite part of my new Palette scheme is my yellow colour: I similarly like this orange. It makes me want to embark on a desert.

Might I please include the colour scheme in the next release, with credit?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 14, 2016, 02:51:38 am »

Soyuz
[BLACK_R:49]
[BLACK_G:21]
[BLACK_B:0]
That's seems pretty bright for black.
A darker black would contrast better, but maybe I just don't understand.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 50