Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 459547 times)

raeborga

• Bay Watcher
  • [STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's tilesets. 10x/20x
« Reply #450 on: September 16, 2016, 02:32:26 am »

the black was so unblack=off putting for me.

Try lowering your gamma? ¯\_{◘ᴥ◘}_/¯
"Unblacks" are usually black to me unless I gently boost my gamma.
~Idunnoman~
Or try R=7, G=15, B=23 for an easier-on-the-eyes dark blue.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 19, 2016, 12:23:51 am »

I ran out of reasons for holding back the release. Thanks for all the fish and the positive comments.

Far better accented characters, notably. Blackletter got some attention, and Moscow was brought back in line with the remaining sets somewhat: I found it to be too esoteric for comfortable use in places. Serif was brought more in line with its origin font, Saikyo Serif. Similarly, Sans-serif was brought more in line with its origin font, Torus Sans. Black was darkened in several colour schemes. New liquid/sand tiles (126 & 247), already discussed, and new rock tiles (176-178). Unnecessarily thick lines have been thinned. There's more changes than that, but those come to mind.

I probably screwed up, so kindly let me know. If the new update annoys you, kindly let me know. If I've successfully converted a few more "vanilla tileset" users, kindly let me know. If I'm off somewhere by a pixel or if something is coloured 253,253,253 rather than 255,255,255, kindly let me know.

Knowing me, there might be a new release in a day or two, even though I tried to avoid that by waiting.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:16:57 am by Taffer »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 19, 2016, 05:53:48 pm »

I like the thinned up tiles, though the fat cabinets still have a home-y comfy feel, the new ones are much more inline with the rest of the set. The added spacing on the dw soldier tile is also nice.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 21, 2016, 10:19:34 am »

I like the thinned up tiles, though the fat cabinets still have a home-y comfy feel, the new ones are much more inline with the rest of the set. The added spacing on the dw soldier tile is also nice.

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm glad you like things. You feel the same way I do about the cabinet/goblin tower change: I prefer the older version, but this fits in better and actually looks like π.

Nopal

« Reply #454 on: September 26, 2016, 04:09:31 pm »

<Deleted>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:14:26 pm by Nopal »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 26, 2016, 04:31:39 pm »

Also i made this minicomic based on your new front page :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not getting the impression that dwarves aren't special from the front page. There are multiple variations of graphics sets for dwarves on display while the creatures of the other civilizations only get one set each. The death toll mentions how many dwarves died in the making of this tileset, but nothing is mentioned of how many of the lesser species have perished. Dwarves get all the attention.

Nopal

« Reply #456 on: September 26, 2016, 04:56:50 pm »

<Deleted>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:14:47 pm by Nopal »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 26, 2016, 05:04:04 pm »

C'mon jecowa stop being so serious and enjoy the joke!
--
Also i always wanted to know. Your avatar is a dog or a cow? :)

That's very adorable. Clarus is a dogcow. She actually says "Moof!"

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 26, 2016, 05:52:25 pm »

Hello Taffer
--
I just want to ask you why do you choose the 10x10 size for your tileset instead of 12x12 or 16x16?

Thank you Tocky for the inspiration and colour scheme.

I started by scratching itches with Tocky's set: fixing things that I disliked. Tocky's set is 10x10. A move to any other size essentially means redrawing my set again: every tile, or almost every tile. I made my 18x18 CLA set just by removing blank space from my 20x20 set, and it ends up more cramped than I like as a result. In some ways I prefer 8x8. I could switch, but I have no motivation to: I like 10x10. I also can't play with anything above 12x12.

Also i made this minicomic based on your new front page :P

Thank you for making my day. Honestly.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:02:05 pm by Taffer »

r4c7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 08, 2016, 04:33:56 pm »

I've been loving this for probably more than six months of use. The one issue I have with it is the text files. The vanilla dwarf fortress text files use a lot white space making it easy to find the option settings you are looking for. Your text files have no white space i.e. no separation of lines of text. This is even worse if you don't have text wrapping on, as it puts all of the text out of your view. I hope you understand what I am saying. Here is a picture to help:
It is a minor thing, but I would appreciate it if this got eventually fixed. I haven't been able to find any mention of it, so I thought I would say something. Thanks for your hard work making my life more enjoyable.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 08, 2016, 04:44:51 pm »

There are multiple formats for declaring a new line in a text document. Linux (which Taffer uses) uses a different format than Windows (what you are using). If you were to open his text files with the free (and better) Notepad++ instead of the bundled Notepad program, you should be able to properly see the new lines.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 08, 2016, 05:11:44 pm »

I've been loving this for probably more than six months of use. The one issue I have with it is the text files. The vanilla dwarf fortress text files use a lot white space making it easy to find the option settings you are looking for. Your text files have no white space i.e. no separation of lines of text. This is even worse if you don't have text wrapping on, as it puts all of the text out of your view. I hope you understand what I am saying. Here is a picture to help:
It is a minor thing, but I would appreciate it if this got eventually fixed. I haven't been able to find any mention of it, so I thought I would say something. Thanks for your hard work making my life more enjoyable.

Thank you kindly for the praise: I'm glad you're enjoying it. As to the files, jecowa's right: use a different editor. I also use Notepad++ when I'm in Windows.

r4c7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 08, 2016, 06:15:42 pm »

Thanks for the replies! Much easier to install to my liking now.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 12, 2016, 12:52:18 am »

I was struck by a strange mood while I was admiring medieval art and decided to make my set look a little more like Duerer's work. At least, I think it does. Maybe it's too subtle. It's just Vherid's Soyuz colour scheme and a quick checkerboard pattern over one of my tilesets. This isn't a suggestion or a preview, I just made something and decided to share  it. Didn't take any time or effort and I won't pretend I've done a good job, but I thought it looked interesting.
Instructions to replicate this with any tileset, because I have zero interest in maintaining duplicate copies of all of my tilesets with this effect:

Also, who needs colour?

Also, Game Boy Taffer.
With effort, I could probably find better colours. Like the above "color scheme", however, it wouldn't actually be playable.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 10:47:43 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 14, 2016, 06:09:10 pm »

The next release will fix the alignment of the î character for the Moscow and Blackletter fonts, but I'm also deviating slightly from vanilla to add a pillar tile on tile 255. It's the only tile that is, according to the wiki, entirely unused that I can see remaining that way. Why would Toady use a second empty tile, unless he decides to draw something in it? Anyways. I was going to just do it, but the solid wall pillar that I wanted to use (3) resembles boulders too much, with 2 of them placed for reference. Simply hollowing it out makes it identical to beehives (tile 9), so I settled on 1 or 2 then decided to put it to vote. Vote now! Or ignore me long enough and I'll just make a decision. (I won't pick 3, of course. Too similar to boulders, even if I think the other pillars are too big). This change will also affect trees.

Moscow has, of course, it's own pillars that match its unique walls, and the hollow walls have a unique pillar, all of which are more to my liking as it is. Depending on which of my tilesets you use, this change might be welcome or unwelcome, but it definitely unites the aesthetic of all of my tilesets and solves problems such as Moscow's wall/pillar alignment issues, or the solid wall pillars not fitting in with the rest of the wall aesthetic.

Previews of hollow and Moscow solid/hollow walls:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:53:49 am by Taffer »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 50