Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 460219 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's tilesets. 10x/20x
« Reply #465 on: October 14, 2016, 06:53:40 pm »

I dunno. Having a hole in the middle seems a lot more traditional columny, but I think I like the big solid one a bit more. This is just for solid walls, right?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 14, 2016, 06:56:08 pm »

I dunno. Having a hole in the middle seems a lot more traditional columny, but I think I like the big solid one a bit more. This is just for solid walls, right?

That's correct, apart from Moscow's solid walls. The remaining pillars are depicted in the spoiler with their associated walls. Thank you kindly for the input!

r4c7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 14, 2016, 08:28:13 pm »

I just came here to suggest changing the pillars and you already have. I agree with the hole in the middle and also the larger ones. I think this will look much better and increase readability.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 15, 2016, 07:09:50 pm »

Released 4.3 with these changes (option 2 was chosen). Kindly let me know if you have any criticism.

The next release will fix the alignment of the î character for the Moscow and Blackletter fonts, but I'm also deviating slightly from vanilla to add a pillar tile on tile 255.

Moscow's walls:

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 18, 2016, 08:34:44 pm »

These ones fit your style most naturally I think:

But I can see having the smaller hole for the solid walls.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 19, 2016, 05:23:46 am »

This little guy has been feeling left out recently:
Spoiler: dwarf screenshot (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: tree screenshot (click to show/hide)

tilesheet:

other variations:
Spoiler: tilesheet - "classic" (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 19, 2016, 12:02:59 pm »

It's such a cozy set.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 26, 2016, 10:19:03 am »

This little guy has been feeling left out recently:
Spoiler: dwarf screenshot (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: tree screenshot (click to show/hide)

tilesheet:

other variations:
Spoiler: tilesheet - "classic" (click to show/hide)

Thank you for updating this. I should have responded sooner. I probably won't add it back to the pack, though, as I'm not much of a fan of my old work anymore. Perhaps one of these days I can revisit my 20x20 sets and draw them properly, rather than just double the base set. It'd be an enormous amount of work, though.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 26, 2016, 10:37:34 am »

I'm interested in 20x tilesets. Right now I think Humble Classic is the only 20x tileset that isn't an upscaled version of a 10x tileset.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 03, 2016, 12:52:02 am »

I made a thing.

An actually finished 8x8 thing. Better readability, less whitespace, squashed characters, and almost unreadable accented characters. Definitely smells like an 8x8 tileset. I'll probably fix it up more and add it to the variants folder when I feel better, but there's only so much I can do.

That hoshi is nice.

And three years later I made a tileset out of it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:09:26 am by Taffer »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 03, 2016, 03:07:23 am »

Small tilesets are great for making screenshots of large maps and seeing more of the map at once without having to downscale the image. 

Accented characters don't need to be very readable because I don't know what most of them mean anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they used accented characters in the translations mostly to make the languages look more exotic.

Is Hoshi the character in the top-right corner of the bridge of the NX-01 Enterprise the main tilesheet?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 03, 2016, 12:00:09 pm »

Update to version v4.4. Some miscellaneous, unimportant fixes and I added the new minitaffer sets. Oh, and I made Moscow walls sexy (and tetrisy, which is almost a synonym). I celebrated by changing my avatar: usr_share's influence is felt once again. I enjoy it so much that I was almost tempted to replace the other pillars with more tetrisy-tiles, but I decided to leave well enough alone. The round pillars suit the rounded walls.

Theme song for this release: old school game boy music.

Small tilesets are great for making screenshots of large maps and seeing more of the map at once without having to downscale the image. 

Accented characters don't need to be very readable because I don't know what most of them mean anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they used accented characters in the translations mostly to make the languages look more exotic.

Is Hoshi the character in the top-right corner of the bridge of the NX-01 Enterprise the main tilesheet?

I suppose you have a point about the accented characters, but I personally still consider their readability to be important. I have a much higher opinion of my sets now that I finally made the accents clear and legible.

To be honest I dislike watching science fiction: I'm invariably disappointed. I love reading it, though. No idea if usr_share named the font after that character.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 12:17:25 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 03, 2016, 01:39:03 pm »

I enjoy it so much that I was almost tempted to replace the other pillars with more tetrisy-tiles, but I decided to leave well enough alone. The round pillars suit the rounded walls.

If anybody finds this change appealing, speak up. The "pillar inside the pillar" is the new potential design.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 03, 2016, 01:54:01 pm »

The tetris-y pillars look the best. It's memorable because I haven't ever seen it in another tileset. The pillar-inside-pillar is only better if you plan on reusing that for tree trunks.

Also, shame on you and your Type A tendencies! Type B represent! 8)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 03, 2016, 01:59:58 pm »

DragonDePlatino was so quick on the feedback (thank you!) that I didn't have time to do my customary edit-my-preview-post-at-the-last-second dealie. There's actually 2 options (and they are reused for tree trunks). Option A: , B: , or what I already had.

The tetris-y pillars look the best. It's memorable because I haven't ever seen it in another tileset. The pillar-inside-pillar is only better if you plan on reusing that for tree trunks.

Also, shame on you and your Type A tendencies! Type B represent! 8)

They are indeed reused for tree trunks. Also, Type A is where it's at.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:04:46 pm by Taffer »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 50