Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 459328 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's tilesets. 10x/20x
« Reply #510 on: January 08, 2017, 09:13:04 pm »

I can see the moscow/blackletter sets being perfect for someone making a really obscure mod at some point, because they do have a really lovely style, but I would hate to maintain them, so just leaving them available in here is a bro-move.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 08, 2017, 09:30:52 pm »

I can see the moscow/blackletter sets being perfect for someone making a really obscure mod at some point, because they do have a really lovely style, but I would hate to maintain them, so just leaving them available in here is a bro-move.

Moscow is still fully supported. I'm willing to pick up the slack again on the Blackletter sets, if people indicate that there's interest. Advice on the double-sized Blackletter sets would also help.

Not asking you to do so, just putting that out there in case anybody really is interested in them.

Also, on alternate racial graphics: I kind of like the bearded dwarves. I've just been using the default, but I wouldn't object if one of those were made default.

Actually, it would be nice if they had pointy beards, like the 800x600 vanilla set.

I won't make beards the default, but here's an alternate pointy-beard for you. As mentioned, the current release shouldn't have the racial graphics problem that you pointed out.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:42:55 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 10, 2017, 11:20:52 am »

I can understand standardizing the bars, but man, I really liked the little square for the soldier dorfletters, since I like having the different soldier tiles with some unused tiles, though I like the elf ones as smaller squares.

I agree with MaxTM the old soldier dorfletters desing looks better.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm thinking of changing my mind on this, and I feel a little foolish that 'd̊' is actually a real letter, unlike my current offering. This invalidates much of my reasoning for keeping the current letter. I should probably have just listened to the criticism.

Is a good compromise, or is better? Double-sized variant for both:

EDIT: Hmm...I might be on to something going the opposite way and standardizing () on the small square. I might not need feedback on this after all.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:44:46 am by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 10, 2017, 12:08:35 pm »

Version 4.8 released. Improved accent tiles for the 10x sets ( ), and improved dwarf letter soldiers for the 20x sans and serif sets (). The blacks of the Taffer, Dawnbringer, and Pastel sets have also been darkened again (#070707): I've come around to the idea that better contrast is preferable here, and it's closer to vanilla in any case. Dawnbringer lost its blue-ish black background, which can be a little off-putting.

Apologies for not waiting around for feedback, but I think this is an overall improvement and it addresses criticism I've already received in a way that keeps the tilesets and colour schemes visually consistent.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:38:58 pm by Taffer »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 10, 2017, 01:43:29 pm »

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 10, 2017, 01:49:15 pm »

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Quote from: Max™
[CULL:SQUARE]

I'm getting such mixed messages. At any rate, glad that you seem happy about the new release.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 10, 2017, 02:21:56 pm »

Hey, you can't help the way you were raised, but if you gotta be square, do it right, and dorfletters are right.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 10, 2017, 03:59:48 pm »

Hey, you can't help the way you were raised, but if you gotta be square, do it right, and dorfletters are right.

I'm still confused by the "square tileset" hostility in the personal text, signature, and on 4chan, but thank you.

I made this for you:

EDIT: and now I've just noticed that the diagonal hollow walls need attention. Damn, I thought I'd finished everything.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:27:04 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 10, 2017, 04:40:13 pm »

Yet another release: I failed to notice some diagonal wall issues in the new 20x sets, so I took the opportunity to resolve them. I tweaked all the diagonal walls in the process. I still consider this 4.8.

Seriously, this ought to be the last release for some time unless I receive critique. If you've been absent and like reading changelogs, I've collected the recent madness below.

4.8 (pre hotfix)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:49:18 pm by Taffer »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 10, 2017, 09:13:37 pm »

It's just a humorous thing really, and I don't see the diagonal wall issues at all. >.<

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 10, 2017, 10:34:44 pm »

It's just a humorous thing really, and I don't see the diagonal wall issues at all. >.<

I fixed them already, including the version I made for you. The 20x sets didn't tile well: there was a disjoint where some of the diagonals met with straight walls. While I was at it, I sharpened the inner corners for all (including 10x) diagonal walls, as it was blunt before. The idea had been to have the diagonal corners rounded like the normal corners, but it didn't look like I'd hoped.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:29:49 pm by Taffer »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 11, 2017, 01:06:10 am »

Yeah, imagine the pain of trying to get a neat diagonal wall look with nonsquare tiles. I'm happy with what I ended up using, but it'll never be as clean as a square set, and I saved that as TafferLetters+1 to toss in to the square set mix I keep for folks wanting better options than the damn 16x16 vanilla one.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 12, 2017, 10:18:49 pm »

I like the new colours more.   :D  But I would say that wouldn't I...

(Still addicted to the evil Myne but next CLA will make swapping even easier!)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 10, 2017, 03:06:14 pm »

Another minor release. If you're using a Moscow size 10 set with solid, straight walls then you'll want to update. If you're not, there's no need to update.

I might not have bothered with an actual release if I had some work on the horizon, but I don't.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 13, 2017, 02:08:40 am »

The end-of-line "issue" is just the difference between Windows and Linux. You can use Notepad++, but enough people have complained about it that I'll switch the files over to using Windows line breaks for the next release.
Oh, that explains it. For some reason windows had defaulted back to "notepad" instead of my preferred tool, notepad2. Irritating.

I also want to say that I exclusively use the 20x20 tilesets. I'm a little sad to see you've removed the Rawberry color set (it's my favorite, but maybe I'll try soyuz again...) but I've got it here so I suppose that's alright. So thank you for continuing to maintain your tilesets!
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 50