Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 460151 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's tilesets. 10x/20x
« Reply #525 on: February 13, 2017, 10:55:25 am »

The end-of-line "issue" is just the difference between Windows and Linux. You can use Notepad++, but enough people have complained about it that I'll switch the files over to using Windows line breaks for the next release.
Oh, that explains it. For some reason windows had defaulted back to "notepad" instead of my preferred tool, notepad2. Irritating.

I also want to say that I exclusively use the 20x20 tilesets. I'm a little sad to see you've removed the Rawberry color set (it's my favorite, but maybe I'll try soyuz again...) but I've got it here so I suppose that's alright. So thank you for continuing to maintain your tilesets!

Thank you for the kind words. You're welcome!

I've restored the Rawberry colours. You can download it from there for now—including the new colour scheme preview—or just know that it'll be in the next release. (No plans at the moment, so likely after the next DF update).

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 19, 2017, 02:41:34 am »

Taffer, I am so sorry about my last reactions here last year as the issue I brought up is more than easy to fix/alter by copying or editing that color init file.

Also I yesterday compared in-game your new current default colors with your older and much brighter and muddier one which I still kinda like and I set the default DF's colors as a baseline to compare with and that's when I realized that your new color scheme puts less strain on one's eyes. That and I'm still able to tell colors apart due to my eagle-eyed ability to make a more diverse distinction between color hues and since my eyes have basically cave-adjusted I can see better in the dark.

To put it shortly, looking back, I can honestly say that some form of mental stress I had back then outweighed my ability to think clearly and calmly and I'm sorry about it all.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 23, 2017, 07:47:31 pm »

I've been pretty resistant to getting any Dwarf Fortress work done lately, if anybody is following. This affects Revised more than the tilesets: I need—or want—to get the description update before Toady's next update, but nobody cares but me about the few pixels I'd want to change in the tilesets.

Taffer, I am so sorry about my last reactions here last year as the issue I brought up is more than easy to fix/alter by copying or editing that color init file.

Also I yesterday compared in-game your new current default colors with your older and much brighter and muddier one which I still kinda like and I set the default DF's colors as a baseline to compare with and that's when I realized that your new color scheme puts less strain on one's eyes. That and I'm still able to tell colors apart due to my eagle-eyed ability to make a more diverse distinction between color hues and since my eyes have basically cave-adjusted I can see better in the dark.

To put it shortly, looking back, I can honestly say that some form of mental stress I had back then outweighed my ability to think clearly and calmly and I'm sorry about it all.

No worries, mate. Glad you're still enjoying the set.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets
« Reply #528 on: July 21, 2017, 05:04:35 pm »

EDIT: just scroll down. The newer iteration is (in my opinion) much better. Still, please do tell me if you disagree. The whole point of me posting this stuff is to find out if I screwed up.

Contemplating an obvious (to me) diagonal wall improvement, that I should have contemplated years ago. The first image of every pair is the old style. Anybody willing to test? The hope is that it'll keep the aesthetic of the diagonal walls but fix some of the inevitable weirdness. The solid wall diagonals fare much better here, so only the hollow diagonals are shown.

The tileset:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:57:33 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 21, 2017, 07:42:08 pm »

Some more iterative improvement, because I thought I could do better. It's worth noting that the testing arena is a particularly tricky place for diagonal walls, so these tilesets should look even better in adventure or fortress mode. Most sites and fortresses don't have an entire map of solid, smooth wall. I'll start with the three settings already shown. For the original (hollow) look, scroll up a post.

Looks pretty damn good, I must say. It actually looks like something dwarves might have made, unlike the jagged edges everywhere in the old version.

The rooms in these screenshots also look much better. There's a lot more whitespace in the "solid wall" areas than there is in the original, but as I already mentioned this should mostly only affect the arena, not gameplay. (Even then, it's still obvious to me where the rooms are).

The random pillars in the third setting are also actually functional looking, unlike the chaos in the older version.

I'd just like to share my happiness that octagonal rooms are now possible.

The only downside that I've discovered is that the fortifications look a little off. Absolutely worth it, in my opinion.

I hope you enjoyed the "tour", and please consider testing! I haven't played Dwarf Fortress for a few months now, and I'm currently more interested in finishing my todo list for Revised than I'm interested in seeing what effect this has on non-wall tiles. I'm very happy with the changes from what I can see in the arena, however. I might actually play with diagonal walls on for once.

Oh, and I did consider making the solid fortifications hollow. It didn't go well.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:55:02 pm by Taffer »

daagar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 31, 2017, 09:29:02 pm »

A bit too small of a tileset for me personally (at least when on a 1920x1080 screen), but I _love_ the hollow-wall stuff with the improved diagonals - I didn't realize anything was wrong with them before until you showed how they should really be! Might go back to playing on a laptop just to enjoy this set.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 01, 2017, 12:52:06 am »

A bit too small of a tileset for me personally (at least when on a 1920x1080 screen), but I _love_ the hollow-wall stuff with the improved diagonals - I didn't realize anything was wrong with them before until you showed how they should really be! Might go back to playing on a laptop just to enjoy this set.

Thank you kindly for the feedback! I'll see about changing all of my tilesets over so I can have a proper release soon with the diagonal wall changes.

There's also the 20x20 version of my sets, but that might be too big. I also play on 1920x1080, but personally anything bigger than 10x10 bothers me.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 01, 2017, 04:17:31 pm »

v4.9 released. I redrew the diagonal walls1 2 and optimized everything to decrease the download size (494KB to 373KB). In my own testing, pngquant works best generally but causes problems for DF. DF liked optipng better, but it still caused graphical problems for the racial graphics. So use optipng for tilesets, pngquant for preview images, and leave racial graphics alone.

Oh, and I deleted the DFFD mirror for ease of maintenance and moved from GitHub to GitLab. Most users aren't likely to care or even notice and nobody but me was contributing or opening issues anyways. I know that GitHub is the "cool place" to hang out and that nobody (by comparison) uses GitLab, but I much prefer it.

• I can have several private repositories for DF projects,
    • I prefer the interface,
    • I prefer the Terms of Service, and
    • GitLab's core is open source, unlike GitHub.

The GitHub repository will be deleted as soon as the Starter Pack has been fixed to pull from GitLab.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:05:27 pm by Taffer »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 12, 2017, 10:46:09 am »

Taffer, just a heads-up that the tileset pngs are improperly indexed.

v4.5 (Lazy Mac Pack), working as intended:

v4.9, not playing nice:

If anyone wants a fix in the meanwhile, open the tileset png in GIMP or Photoshop, select Image>Mode>RGB and then save :-)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 11:42:16 am by Reverie »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 12, 2017, 07:59:10 pm »

v4.5 (Lazy Mac Pack), working as intended:
v4.9, not playing nice:
If anyone wants a fix in the meanwhile, open the tileset png in GIMP or Photoshop, select Image>Mode>RGB and then save :-)

Thanks for the heads up! I should have guessed that running optipng on the images would yield problems in Mac (and maybe Linux). Everything tests fine in Windows, although it might be the PRINT_MODE I'm using or that I don't use dfhack.

Unless you have a solution, I'll save everything as RGB again to fix this.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:51:52 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 12, 2017, 10:50:13 pm »

Released v5.0. I've lightened the border stippling on the digging designation/border tile to #dadada. To my eyes, it was still useful as a digging designation but stood out less in the intro movie and in the game border.

I also converted everything to RGB for now, and removed transparency from all images for maximum compatibility.

Another release will probably arrive in the next while: a tile or two has my eye.

Would you kindly test the below tileset? I'm still hoping to get everything indexed again for v5.1. Hopefully removing the transparency solved the issue you posted. Version 5.0 is all in RGB, but this one is shrunk to indexed using optipng.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:52:18 pm by Taffer »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 13, 2017, 03:33:32 am »

Would you kindly test the below tileset? I'm still hoping to get everything indexed again for v5.1. Hopefully removing the transparency solved the issue you posted. Version 5.0 is all in RGB, but this one is shrunk to indexed using optipng.

I can confirm that it works in 2D mode, without DFHack (tiles with background colours display correctly, e.g. leftmost pane) :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Taffer
...although it might be the PRINT_MODE I'm using or that I don't use dfhack.

Having tested with and without DFHack, I've narrowed down the issue to just the png specifically, so no worries there :p
Feel free to tweak your optipng settings and send over more if you'd like, I can channel my inner lab rat :-)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:07:22 am by Reverie »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 13, 2017, 07:41:48 am »

I re-released v5.0. No new changes other than minimizing everything using optipng.

I've lightened the border stippling on the digging designation/border tile to #dadada. To my eyes, it was still useful as a digging designation but stood out less in the intro movie and in the game border.

I can confirm that it works in 2D mode, without DFHack (tiles with background colours display correctly, e.g. leftmost pane) :
Having tested with and without DFHack, I've narrowed down the issue to just the png specifically, so no worries there :p
Feel free to tweak your optipng settings and send over more if you'd like, I can channel my inner lab rat :-)

Thank you kindly for the testing! You already tested optipng on maximum settings, and pngquant works better for ordinary images than it does for tilesets, so there's nothing more to test.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 13, 2017, 07:44:42 am »

Glad I could help ^^

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 03, 2017, 02:25:53 pm »

Hey, just passing by, as I do every once in a while. Your tileset is really the best; let me tell you that every time I enter one of my DF periods, the first thing I do is installing Taffer's tileset :)
And your diagonal walls from this summer are really good.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 50