Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 459984 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets for v0.44.05
« Reply #585 on: March 02, 2018, 11:25:15 pm »

What resolution do you play at by the way? I just can't read the text at 10x10, it's so small on my monitor. Even setting the resolution down a few notches. I guess there's something fundamental I'm not understanding about resolutions somewhere.

I've been playing on my 1280x800 laptop. Using a 10x10 tileset on this is similar in scale to using a 16x16 tileset on a 1080p display. I think 1280x800 is about the largest resolution I would want to use with a 10x10 tileset.

A year ago I would play on my 1680x1050 desktop. On this I preferred 20x20 tilesets. A 20x20 tileset is just about the largest you can use on a 1680x1050 display. It is similar to using a 24x24 tileset on a 1080p display.

I would guess that 10x10 Taffer users are not any more likely to use lower resolutions than most Dwarf Fortress players, though.

Sometimes I see talk that 10x10 will be outdated because monitor resolutions will keep getting higher and higher, but new 4K monitors already display at a resolution high enough that you literally wouldn't get any benefit from a higher resolution. It's why Apple displays are called "Retina" displays.

Just thought you might be interested, in the case of Apple's Retina displays, Dwarf Fortress does not take advantage of them unless you either force your screen into native mode (which has a downside if making everything tiny) or you edit the DF init.txt full-screen resolution to match your native resort (which has a downside of only using Retina resolution in Dwarf Fortress' full-screen mode). So most Retina Mac users are probably be going to be playing Dwarf Fortress 2x nearest-neaghbor scaled. So 13-inch MacBook Pro users are basically at 1280 instead of 2560 and 15-inch are at 1440 instead of 2880.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 03, 2018, 01:28:35 pm »

I play on a laptop. 1920x1080.
Windows scaler at 125% seems to work with everything except DF. Everything gets cut off the screen until I switch it to 100%. That's why I said I must be misunderstanding something. Some setting which makes DF work with the scaler.

Not sure. Sorry I can't help. The default settings (as set by my tileset, at least) work fine for me on an AMD system.

Just thought you might be interested, in the case of Apple's Retina displays, Dwarf Fortress does not take advantage of them unless you either force your screen into native mode (which has a downside if making everything tiny) or you edit the DF init.txt full-screen resolution to match your native resort (which has a downside of only using Retina resolution in Dwarf Fortress' full-screen mode). So most Retina Mac users are probably be going to be playing Dwarf Fortress 2x nearest-neaghbor scaled. So 13-inch MacBook Pro users are basically at 1280 instead of 2560 and 15-inch are at 1440 instead of 2880.

Oh, good show on Apple's part. That's the way it should be: keep compatibility with old applications going forward. It does make me wonder if it's worth me maintaining 20x20 sets or just generating them.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 03, 2018, 05:51:49 pm »

Windows scaler at 125% seems to work with everything except DF. Everything gets cut off the screen until I switch it to 100%. That's why I said I must be misunderstanding something. Some setting which makes DF work with the scaler.

Not sure. Sorry I can't help. The default settings (as set by my tileset, at least) work fine for me on an AMD system.

That's fine, I don't need help. It's something about my laptop that I'll either figure out or won't. But in the meantime, I'll keep using your 20x20 sets.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 03, 2018, 06:18:46 pm »

That's fine, I don't need help. It's something about my laptop that I'll either figure out or won't. But in the meantime, I'll keep using your 20x20 sets.

You might try changing your Print Mode to see if that helps. (Switch to "2D" if using "STANDARD" or switch to "STANDARD" if using "2D".) That's the only thing I can think of that could possibly help with this issue.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 06, 2018, 04:48:57 pm »

Taffer, do you mind if I use your Pastel color scheme for a mod I have published? I feel like it would fit the aesthetic nicely. Here is the mod if you want to check it out: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13542
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets for v0.44.06
« Reply #590 on: March 09, 2018, 10:38:56 pm »

Updated for v0.44.06. The keybindings needed to be updated, along with the usual trivial, textual changes to the init files. I removed the Rawberry colors because I've been wanting to simplify the download and I never use them lately. I might get rid of the Taffer colors as well, not sure. I haven't used that in ages either.

Taffer, do you mind if I use your Pastel color scheme for a mod I have published? I feel like it would fit the aesthetic nicely. Here is the mod if you want to check it out: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13542

Go right ahead! Just give me a mention somewhere, please! I'm glad you like it. I'll be updating most of the color schemes in my next big Taffer release slightly: the blacks will be lightened again. Do check back from time to time to see if I've changed the color scheme, so that you can grab the newest one. Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:41:15 pm by Taffer »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets for v0.44.06
« Reply #591 on: March 10, 2018, 02:18:54 pm »

Updated for v0.44.06. The keybindings needed to be updated, along with the usual trivial, textual changes to the init files. I removed the Rawberry colors because I've been wanting to simplify the download and I never use them lately. I might get rid of the Taffer colors as well, not sure. I haven't used that in ages either.

Go right ahead! Just give me a mention somewhere, please! I'm glad you like it. I'll be updating most of the color schemes in my next big Taffer release slightly: the blacks will be lightened again. Do check back from time to time to see if I've changed the color scheme, so that you can grab the newest one. Cheers!

Ok, thank you!
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets for v0.44.07
« Reply #592 on: March 12, 2018, 11:00:13 pm »

No changes at all for v0.44.07, so the current version still works fine.

I've finally finished an initial rewrite of every creature description in the game for Revised and, as promised, I've already blown through my entire todo list for editing them. Give me a day or two to finish the release, and then I'll get back to drawing after that before continuing with Revised.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 14, 2018, 10:17:21 pm »

Started working on this again. Trying hard to make everything look seamless, so that repeated tiles blend together into a pattern and make the transitions between patterns less jarring. (For example, compare this with the first image, particularly the black space around the pillars). Lots of testing involved. Currently waffling between "more dots!!!" and "too many dots!!!". Just wanted to post some proof that it'll be done sometime soon, because I know it's been a while.

EDIT: Will redo the font to be more legible.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:02:12 am by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 21, 2018, 10:52:12 pm »

I feel bad about how long this is taking, so I'll post some proof that I'm not slacking.

Attempt to clean up the font, make it more readable, and keep the style I was hoping for. Subtle—and probably won't convince anybody that this font is legible—but there's a solid improvement there.

Burn the whole tileset to the ground and need to redraw everything to match new italic font. Contemplate getting rid of line connecting the letters, then flip the desk because nothing I'm doing fits thematically or artistically with my nice walls and existing work.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:17:32 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 30, 2018, 11:10:16 am »

1920x1080, currently on both a big wall-mounted TV and on a desktop. The TV is rough reading on default scaling settings in Windows, but at 175% I can play perfectly fine. That's what the scaling slider is there for.

Well, I spoke too soon. I finally finished banishing Windows from the rest of my computers, and Fedora (Gnome/Wayland) doesn't scale Dwarf Fortress at all. There's a "text scale" setting in Gnome Tweak that works beautifully for the purpose, but doesn't affect DF. So even I'll be using 20x20 at times. I can't escape!

Along those lines, I've whipped up a simple script that iterates over every tileset in my collection, automatially dices it up into individual tiles, doubles those tiles in size using xbrz, and then stitches them together again. With this, I won't need to support 20x20 at all, it'll just be generated by the script. Splitting it up into component tiles prevents the solid tiles from "bleeding" over into their neighbours. It has a blacklist for tiles 176, 177, 178, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223: even xbrz can't handle these tiles appropriately, so they're doubled separately with a simple "box" or "point" algorithm.

I think some people prefer this approach anyway: the "4chan" variant that still gets circulated is proof that many people prefer the machine scaled version to my manually doubled version, and this lets me keep everything available at double-size with a consistent look and make changes, without me needing to support any of it. This will make only 12 tilesets I need to support in the next version, even with a new tileset in the collection. That makes me happy. Adding the blackletter variant and giving it custom, ornate walls will only result in 2 new tilesets (dwarf letter and normal), where before it'd result in 16 (10x10 sized, 20x20 sized, dwarf letters, normal, and four wall types for each). As mentioned, solid straight walls and diagonal hollow walls won't be supported going forward.

Compare these two tilesets:

As mentioned, I didn't need to open an image editor even once for the one on the left, I just ran my script.

With this, release of the next version will happen soonish. I've redrawn Moscow's walls, so the tetris look is gone but ornate, diagonal are in for two sets now. Even with the new script, the fancy tilesets might just be crudely doubled. It depends on how well xbrz deals with the fine details.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:31:28 am by Taffer »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets for v0.44.08
« Reply #596 on: March 30, 2018, 02:47:08 pm »

My first reaction was that the handcrafted scaled tileset was definitely superior; you can see it in the "5" and the "t". But now I'm kind of liking the softer edges of the machine-crafted version. This looks like anti-aliasing, so this version would probably need an alpha transparency instead of indexed magenta?

Nearest-neighboring  the partially-mined / glacier blocks and the big box characters was a good idea.

On the Arabic text, the underlining and dots looks cool, but it's much more readable without.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 31, 2018, 12:51:24 am »

v5.1.2 released, along with the much-delayed Damascus tileset and an improved Moscow tileset. There'll be the usual tweaking on the Damascus tileset going forward, no doubt. It's named not just for the city but for my many hours spent working toward Damascus Steel in Vagrant Story.

The color schemes were lightened, almost back to what they were before I darkened them. Sorry, feelotraveller! I just like them better that way! Old versions of Taffer will continue to be available as tags in the repository, so old work is never lost.

The entire 20x directory is now automatically generated from the 10x directory. The curious can look at the (messy, but functional) script here, if you want to scale your own tilesets.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:50:48 am by Taffer »

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets v5.1.2 for v0.44.09
« Reply #598 on: April 03, 2018, 11:00:25 am »

And lo, my wizarding work is complete and I can live contented now that Damascus is here.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 03, 2018, 11:39:52 am »

My first reaction was that the handcrafted scaled tileset was definitely superior; you can see it in the "5" and the "t". But now I'm kind of liking the softer edges of the machine-crafted version. This looks like anti-aliasing, so this version would probably need an alpha transparency instead of indexed magenta?

Nearest-neighboring  the partially-mined / glacier blocks and the big box characters was a good idea.

On the Arabic text, the underlining and dots looks cool, but it's much more readable without.

Thank you kindly for the feedback, by the way! I did take it into account. I admit I hadn't even thought about needing alpha transparency, so I fixed that for the release. I know that the manually doubled look is better overall, but my sanity dictated this approach, especially as I know some prefer the soft look. I never thought I did a good job on the manually done 20x20 sets anyway, for some reason the look just didn't work for me.

I decided to go with the Damascus tileset I had, even with readability issues. I did my best, but the italic font didn't suit the aesthetic and without the dots and the underline, the set isn't unified in style.

I'm still considering getting rid of the line, but not the dots.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 11:42:10 am by Taffer »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 50