Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 459714 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like the diagonal walls. Not too convinced on the font though. I think it's too small for serif to work well. Mostly it looks alright (apart from the 'b' as mentioned, but the uppercase 'W' as well), but if you compare it to the old font, I think it's better.

Personally I dislike the new font. The old one is simple and bold, very easy to recognize, whereas the new one seems cramped and busy. I also prefer the less embellished style for representing creatures, on account of how abstract it is. Of course, I can always just edit them back in if I feel the need to get a newer version, so it's not a big deal.

Having said all that I'll take this opportunity to mention that I absolutely love your tiles. Never leave home without 'em.

Front post is updated. Alternate font is Victoria Bold. Hope you like it! The font that I had in mind originally for sans, Hoshi, was a little too small, but it had character. Victoria is my compromise. As both the original font and the new one are sans serif, differences are minor at best, but I think this is a bit of an improvement. If the changes are still disliked, I can update the alternate font again.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:51:54 pm by Taffer »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile

I like the diagonal walls. Not too convinced on the font though. I think it's too small for serif to work well. Mostly it looks alright (apart from the 'b' as mentioned, but the uppercase 'W' as well), but if you compare it to the old font, I think it's better.

Personally I dislike the new font. The old one is simple and bold, very easy to recognize, whereas the new one seems cramped and busy. I also prefer the less embellished style for representing creatures, on account of how abstract it is. Of course, I can always just edit them back in if I feel the need to get a newer version, so it's not a big deal.

Having said all that I'll take this opportunity to mention that I absolutely love your tiles. Never leave home without 'em.

Front post is updated. Alternate font is Victoria Bold. Hope you like it! The font that I had in mind originally for sans, Hoshi, was a little too small, but it had character. Victoria is my compromise. As both the original font and the new one are sans serif, differences are minor at best, but I think this is a bit of an improvement. If the changes are still disliked, I can update the alternate font again.

That hoshi is nice.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That hoshi is nice.

Yes it is. Victoria Bold is almost the same font, but one pixel taller. Hoshi might work better with a 9x9 tileset, but, frankly, I have little interest in making one. The actual font collection is located here.

Have you thought about how the diagonal walls will look with trees in the next version?
I'm thinking about using crenelated walls for my own tileset.

I just posted mock screenshots in another thread. As previously stated, they should be accurate, provided that the screenshots Toady posted on 09/23/2012 remain accurate.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:43:23 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics (New graphics! Several wall choices.)
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2013, 08:41:27 pm »

Did something crazy and added creature graphics for the "main" races of Dwarf Fortress, as I'm looking forward to adventure mode in the next release and having faces for only dwarves bugged me. Nothing about the main tilesets have changed. I'll probably be editing these as times on, as is my nature. I may (or may not) stick to these races, rather than attempt graphics for all creatures.

Please post bugs, requests, screenshots, and general comments. Unless everything blows up in my face and people dislike things, I'll be updating my wiki page and dffd soon. Happy 'dorfing'!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:37:22 pm by Taffer »

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile

So I'm guessing it's a graphic set now? :P I created a screenshot of your set using the same fortress I used in the other sets in the updated wiki page, in case you wanted one. IMO, it's easier using the same location so browsers can quickly tell how they differ from each other. You can see it here (File:Zscr-taffer.jpg). But my fortress is dinky, LOL (I've actually abandoned it already as it didn't have flux). So your call on whether to use it or not. :)

And great to see more variety in the graphics sets now. :)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Updated the elf, human, and kobold graphics. They look much nicer now. Front post is updated accordingly. I was planning on including my keybindings as well in the alternates folder, along with some other colours, but my desktop just died on me and so I might not get around to it for the next while, as I leave tomorrow for a trip. On the plus side I'm content with the graphics as they are (for the moment), so this seems like as good a place as any to leave things at for the moment.

So I'm guessing it's a graphic set now? :P I created a screenshot of your set using the same fortress I used in the other sets in the updated wiki page, in case you wanted one. IMO, it's easier using the same location so browsers can quickly tell how they differ from each other. You can see it here (File:Zscr-taffer.jpg). But my fortress is dinky, LOL (I've actually abandoned it already as it didn't have flux). So your call on whether to use it or not. :)

And great to see more variety in the graphics sets now. :)

That screenshot is fine! Thanks! Apologies for the late reply. Your fortress is better than mine currently is. My graphics set is rather limited right now to the "main races", but I'm toying with the idea of doing more. We'll see. The small size would limit readability for creature graphics, and I like the emphasis on intelligent races. If the set expands it will be to gremlins, trolls, etc. I wanted to give elves, kobolds, humans, and goblins the same treatment in ASCII as dwarves get. Now if only their tiles would display for their caged, dead, and unseen versions, then all would be well.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:07:48 pm by Taffer »

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile

NP. I'm currently quite busy in real life as well, and using my free time mostly to just play DF, rather than mod. If you need another screenshot generated just PM me. :)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to use your walls for my 10x10.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure thing. Which ones, out of curiosity? A credit in the readme would be nice if they're the hollow walls or diagonal walls, as they were drawn by me. (The straight solid walls are dubious, as they're only a pixel off from Tocky's.) Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:44:24 pm by Taffer »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure thing. Which ones, out of curiosity? A credit in the readme would be nice, the walls were drawn by me. Cheers!

All of them? I don't like Anniki's anymore and walls are the one thing I really don't like making.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure thing. Which ones, out of curiosity? A credit in the readme would be nice, the walls were drawn by me. Cheers!

All of them? I don't like Anniki's anymore and walls are the one thing I really don't like making.

Could I get away with requesting another colour scheme? :P I'm always looking for more, but many of them end up being somewhat dark and difficult to understand. I've been using Tocky and Grim Fortress colour schemes for quite a while now. I keep making them and giving up when they end up looking dark. My last attempt used the DawnBringer palette.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We could always join forces and see about a larger 10x10 graphics set. I remain skeptical about its viability though.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uh, sure. What kind of scheme do you want? Do you want something similar to the dawnbringer palette that works? Also what do you mean by a larger 10x10?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uh, sure. What kind of scheme do you want? Do you want something similar to the dawnbringer palette that works? Also what do you mean by a larger 10x10?

I was mostly thinking out loud, honestly. Don't worry about it, I just like your selection of colour schemes. By larger I mean larger in scope, rather than size. I'm thinking of expanding my creature graphics while keeping the tileset purely ASCII, to get the "best of both worlds" as it were.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was mostly thinking out loud, honestly. Don't worry about it, I just like your selection of colour schemes. By larger I mean larger in scope, rather than size. I'm thinking of expanding my creature graphics while keeping the tileset purely ASCII, to get the "best of both worlds" as it were.

lol. Well I'm sure I'll clamber around with more color-schemes at some point, I'm about to release the update for my total set all together with a few tweaks to a few schemes, and some of the sets. Not sure what I would do to help you with your tileset in terms of 'expanding' it, I don't know if I can do creature graphics.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 50