Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 457126 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18
« on: April 21, 2012, 11:43:59 pm »

Polished tilesets and palettes for the ASCII faithful, featuring a stylish letter 'd' for dwarves. Optional keybindings are included: they allow diagonal movement without a number pad.

DOWNLOAD & REPOSITORY

Diagonal Walls

The diagonal walls tend to be fancier looking than my straight walls, and unlike most diagonal walls, square rooms still look pretty good with these tilesets. Blocks of solid wall look much nicer as well: this is best seen in Arena mode.

Three fonts are available with diagonal walls: sans-serif, cyrillic-inspired, and arabic-inspired.

Straight Walls

If you want straight walls, these are for you. For the more traditional and orthagonally minded among you. Only sans-serif is available with straight walls.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 09:54:43 am by Taffer »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tileset (revamped, new version)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 07:12:36 am »

It looks very clean and readable, a great ASCII set. Those fancy trees are nice as well.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:44:55 am »

That's a nice font, and the double lined walls are interesting but are you sure he doesn't mean that with a single wall, when inverted it becomes double lined? 1+1=3.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:47:13 am by Vherid »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 09:41:02 am »

That's a nice font, and the double lined walls are interesting but are you sure he doesn't mean that with a single wall, when inverted it becomes double lined? 1+1=3.

Don't I feel silly? Of course that might be the case. He does mention specifically that they'll cause problems with the hidden engraving walls, which implies inverted double lines, not single. Either way, once I started going with the double lines I found I preferred it, once the corners were rounded off. The fortifications in particular just seem to make more sense. Knowing me though, if you're right, then I might switch back over eventually. The single line tiles inverted would have really wide tracks, so I'm not entirely sure that's what he's up to. Thanks for pointing it out. We'll have to see!

Quote from: Cruxador
Is the new route system based off or related to military patrols, or is it all new?
Are we getting diagonals mine tracks?
Are rails tiles the single lines or something else?
Toady, do rails work like other stone carvings? If not, how do they work?
Will wheelbarrows and carts all have their own tiles adjacent to the dwarves or beasts that pull them, or what's the deal there?

I had considered the old routes, but I decided to just make it new, so there wouldn't be fussing with points.

There are no diagonal mine tracks.  It looks bad, and as people said, it causes rotation issues with larger objects.  Hopefully there will be objects larger than one tile on tracks in the future.

I'm using inverted double lines for rails.  Those'll either be distinguished from the hidden engravings walls through a color convention, or hidden engraving walls will be altered entirely.  I don't like single line rails.

They work like stone carvings, but you have to do them in 1-wide/high rectangular sections to get the connections established between tiles.

I'm not sure how wheelbarrows and beasts will work out.  The minecart pushing job isn't done either, but I'm pretty sure the dwarf will be walking behind the cart there.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:01:45 am by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 10:04:55 am »

It looks very clean and readable, a great ASCII set. Those fancy trees are nice as well.

Thanks for the compliment! I didn't want the trees too "3d", as they'd clash with the rest of the aesthetic, so I took my time fiddling with them.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:07:52 am by Taffer »

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 11:02:20 am »

Oh... I do like what I see.
This might just be the set that lets me stick with ASCII

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Urist McDonalds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 11:13:05 am »

Where is the download link?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 11:19:30 am »

Oh... I do like what I see.
This might just be the set that lets me stick with ASCII

Thanks! Glad you like it!

Where is the download link?

The image at the bottom of the post. This has no creature graphics, so it's just that pink image, same as the default ASCII game. Save it into data/art as taffer.png, then in data/init/init.txt, change the .png references to taffer.png. Specifically, [FONT:taffer.png] and [FULLFONT:taffer.png]. To change the color scheme, copy the desired colours into data/colors.txt.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:43:28 am by Taffer »

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 11:52:51 am »

Many thanks. You have finally given me the reason to switch away from Markavian, which was getting a bit old anyway. Very clean and well designed.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 01:17:06 pm »

What's the color scheme in the image, if I may ask.

Pardon if I may not now much about colorschemes. I'm not very well-versed in ASCII.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 01:57:51 pm »

It looks like the "natural", you can get it on the wiki.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 02:53:13 pm »

Many thanks. You have finally given me the reason to switch away from Markavian, which was getting a bit old anyway. Very clean and well designed.

Glad you like it! Markavian definitely has a different look. The walls remind me of cart tracks as it is, with the stripes in there.

What's the color scheme in the image, if I may ask.

Pardon if I may not now much about colorschemes. I'm not very well-versed in ASCII.

Vherid's Natural. I also love Tocky's set. Haven't you heard? Real is brown.

I vary between them. Considered putting up my own version halfway between the two, but it would be close enough to Vherid's as to make the release pointless. I spent a day or two tooling around with colours, but never made a satisfactory colour scheme, and ended up just throwing in the towel.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:35:09 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tileset (clean & minimalist!)
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 05:03:14 pm »

Would there be much interest in a TTF version? I attempted to convert it, but it doesn't appear to display properly, so I'm thinking I've mucked things up along the way. I'll see if I can fix things up if there's any interest.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 05:22:03 pm by Taffer »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 05:47:22 pm »

This tileset looks a hell of a lot like Vherid's. And yes, I read the OP and I know the color scheme is the same. But it's not just that... it... just... exactly like Vherid's.  :-\

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 06:35:25 pm »

This tileset looks a hell of a lot like Vherid's. And yes, I read the OP and I know the color scheme is the same. But it's not just that... it... just... exactly like Vherid's.  :-\

How so? Compare them side by side, you'll find differences in almost all of the tiles. Different fonts, different tiles for many things. The similarities largely stem from the use of Anikki's 10x10 tiles, which predate both of us. I find his tileset looks similar to Anikki's. Compare them yourself. The credit to Vherid was for the floor hatch, as far as I can tell the rest of the tiles came from Anikki.

Short of not using ASCII-like tiles at all, I'm not quite sure what I can do about that. Most notably, the space/border tiles and the default dwarf are the same, thanks to Anikki, but much of the rest isn't. Perhaps it's because they're both 10x10? Even the floors, walls, bed, barrel tiles are different, which to me at least are some of the most distinguishing features of a tileset.

Vherid's moved in a different direction with his new Plague set, and this tileset isn't using any of it. I'll update the OP with Tocky's colour scheme in a day or two.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 08:24:17 am by Taffer »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50