Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 457821 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tileset (clean & minimalist!)
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 11:39:18 am »

This tileset looks a hell of a lot like Vherid's. And yes, I read the OP and I know the color scheme is the same. But it's not just that... it... just... exactly like Vherid's.  :-\

My regular tileset is based off of Anniki's base. In my tileset I colored all the changes I made to show the differences easily. Though many of them aren't something that I could truly say is "mine" considering like taffer here, I also did it as a compilation of the best of like 3 sets. The blue are what I could call my own ideas even if they were incredibly simple or not.

Now in taffer's tileset I colored the changes that I made that look like were carried over. However the two green tiles are really all I can call my own.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 02:45:54 pm »

That makes it a lot clearer, thanks. I think my eyes just aren't nearly sharp enough to distinguish the minute differences between ASCII tilesets.

Perhaps the two sets simply have similar styles.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 03:19:15 pm »

Font-wise they are very similar.  But then again there is only so much one can do with minimalistic letters and numbers.  They must look different, all, and they must be recognizable.  So nearly all of the tilesets out there look pretty much the same, besides the ones that try to get more funky and graphical (like the Plague or Phoebus)

Whereas a straight ASCII set will tend to look very much the same as any other ASCII set, by necessity.

However, the wall tiles are very distinct between Vherid and Taffer's set.  VERY distinct, in fact.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 05:53:45 pm »

Font-wise they are very similar.  But then again there is only so much one can do with minimalistic letters and numbers.  They must look different, all, and they must be recognizable.  So nearly all of the tilesets out there look pretty much the same, besides the ones that try to get more funky and graphical (like the Plague or Phoebus)

Whereas a straight ASCII set will tend to look very much the same as any other ASCII set, by necessity.

However, the wall tiles are very distinct between Vherid and Taffer's set.  VERY distinct, in fact.

Very distinct? Hopefully in a good way. (I kid.) It took me a bit to get used to the new walls, but now I don't think I'd go back, I like them too much. Particularly the fortifications. The tops of towers in adventurer mode look nicer this way, I think.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:24:59 pm by Taffer »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 09:32:07 pm »

In a very good they-are-ascii-but-pretty way Taffer ;)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 09:48:45 pm »

Using this beautiful tile-pack. Be proud, the all-mighty ruler of kobolds uses your pack.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 10:06:08 pm »

Minor update, revamped original post. Swapped preview image with new one using Tocky's colour scheme, because I'm using it lately and it'll hopefully help put a bit more distance between my tileset and Vherid's tileset.

Using this beautiful tile-pack. Be proud, the all-mighty ruler of kobolds uses your pack.

Oh, I'm proud. Very proud. Watching my masterfully crafted mugs and socks carefully, but I'm still proud.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:30:27 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tileset (nice looking rails!)
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 06:21:08 am »

Updated OP with new image that shows off the rail look, and updated tileset to fix differing horizontal and vertical track ends.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:11:08 pm by Taffer »

Urist McDonalds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tileset (revamped, new version)
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 08:14:06 am »

Oh... I do like what I see.
This might just be the set that lets me stick with ASCII

Thanks! Glad you like it!

Where is the download link?

The image at the bottom of the post. This has no creature graphics, so it's just that pink image, same as the default ASCII game. Save it into data/art as taffer.png, then in data/init/init.txt, change the .png references to taffer.png. Specifically, [FONT:taffer.png] and [FULLFONT:taffer.png]. To change the color scheme, copy the desired colours into data/colors.txt.

Doesn't work...
Says: Not found: data/art/taffer.png

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tileset (Nice looking rails! Minor update!)
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 08:24:24 am »

The image at the bottom of the post. This has no creature graphics, so it's just that pink image, same as the default ASCII game. Save it into data/art as taffer.png, then in data/init/init.txt, change the .png references to taffer.png. Specifically, [FONT:taffer.png] and [FULLFONT:taffer.png]. To change the color scheme, copy the desired colours into data/colors.txt.

Doesn't work...

Did you follow that bit?

Urist McDonalds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 08:25:13 am »

Doesn't work...

Did you follow that bit?

Didn't quite understand you.
Which bit?
Which that?
More specific please?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 08:26:26 am »

Doesn't work...

Did you follow that bit?

Didn't quite understand you.
Which bit?
Which that?
More specific please?

Urist McDonalds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 08:29:19 am »

Yes, I did.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2012, 06:56:34 pm »

Wish I was near a proper computer so I could prepackage it for you. Find data/art in the Dwarf Fortress directory. It should have some other pink tilesets in there, and a mouse cursor. Put the png in there, and make sure it is called taffer.png.

In the init file, you don't need to put the directory names in, just :taffer.png will suffice. If it doesn't work, then one of the above steps is wrong. Another possible source of error: Windows can hide the file name extensions, so the file might actually be called taffer.png.png. Who knows. Additionally, colors.txt is in data/init, not just data. Minor mistake in my earlier instructions.

Hopefully this helped!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:44:22 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tileset (Clean & minimalist! No graphical oddities!)
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 07:10:53 pm »

Been hard at work, and I've improved on the tileset. The track ends are much better, the table and chairs are nicer, and I've "future proofed" it a little.

The update caught me by surprise, so I decided to make the tileset a little closer to the ASCII. The default set's chair, table, and bridge ends all line up nicely with the walls, and in the interest of having nicer looking track ends, and to keep in line with potential future additions, so do mine now.

I've also made an alternate version, with solid walls instead of the double lines. They look quite nice as well, and are growing on me.

Update up as soon as I get a fort good enough for a screenshot, and finish testing the double line version. The mining changes really seemed to slow down everything, and I certainly have a lot less stone than I did before.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50