Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 457847 times)

Krabocopter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're welcome to use my screens

Thank you kindly. I just linked to them in the thread, it's nice to get additional screenshots up for people. I was jealous of your embark and puzzled by the trees and rocks, until I realized that you were running a mod.

I'm not running any mod
I usually play vanilla

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still alive, and still playing Dwarf Fortress! I'm excited for the next update. The trees will look really nice with the tileset, I think, as the rounded corners of both the solid and double lined walls will make them look a little less boxy.

Parts of the tileset give me pause, so I'm asking for feedback on them. Where possible, I've stuck to thick lines in the tileset as opposed to thin lines. The "-" symbol, barrels, and perhaps most noticeably, the stockpile "=". Do people like the extra thickness, or is the more traditional one pixel thinness attractive? For the confused, see Tocky's tileset.

Are people content with the "card symbols" on the vanilla versions? Any changes requested, or are people content?

Let me know!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 09:52:09 am by Taffer »

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile

I love 100% ASCII tilesets myself. Keep the card suits in the "vanilla" version!
My wooden badge was delicious.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Posting a preview of the new improvements! I feel that I've improved enough on the "vanilla" version that I can replace the trees with it, bringing things back down to two tilesets, one for each wall option. Any changes requested? I'll be updating the front page tomorrow. The diamond tile is back to a slightly modified version of Tocky's diamond, and looks better for it. The trees have been shaded and edited, so as to both look attractive and fit the default aesthetic. The boulder tile has been reverted to vanilla, as I saw little reason to keep it as it was, and because frozen brooks looked odd with it.

Edit: Updated! Final version is not the above, as I slightly modified the soldier tile at the last minute. Also, in case anybody misses the links to the previous versions in the changelog, I've archived the previous version below, in spoiler tags, in case anybody disliked the changes. Let me know if any of the changes are disliked, and I'll whip up a version without the change, and consider reverting it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:42:28 pm by Taffer »

Fortport

• Bay Watcher
  • Modest expedition leader.
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets (Beautiful & minimalistic! New version!)
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2012, 08:12:32 am »

This may sound a little derpy of me, but where is the download link? I cannot find it.

This looks really good. I'm going to try it.
MIIIIGRAAAAAANTS!!

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 08:18:42 am »

This may sound a little derpy of me, but where is the download link? I cannot find it.

You just need to save the images with right-click.

OP, could you please post new screenshots?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2012, 10:34:38 pm »

I hope you enjoy it! Did you manage to get it working? There's installation instructions on the front page, and I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

I can put up download links if people prefer, but as there aren't creature graphics, only the one tileset image, I've never seen much of a point. I'm hesitant to bundle it with the colour scheme, as I'd rather people have minor difficulties setting up a new one than have people annoyed, attempting to change it back.

You just need to save the images with right-click.

I do need new screenshots. I admit that I copped out a little with the current one. I'm currently away from home for a while, with just my phone and an old netbook that seems to hate DF. I'm home on the weekends, but between wedding planning and seeing friends, at the moment it tends to leave me with little time for video games (blasphemy!). I'll fire up DF this weekend and see what I can do. Perhaps adventure mode might be in order. I'm sorry I can't get any up sooner! I'm tempted to cheat and edit some of the old screenshots to use the newest version of the tileset.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:06:30 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2012, 09:43:18 am »

... [snip]

Done! Screenshots are of Haunted Halls, as my own fortress this weekend was not as impressive. Apologies for taking a bit! I hope the screenshots are good!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For everyone who prefers large tilesets. 20x20, still very much a work in progress. It's giving me whole new things to obsess over, pixel-wise.

I'd initially been hoping to make an 18x18, so it could dropped in with CLA, but as scaling is an issue and the aesthetic would have had to change, I decided to stick with what I know.

NOTE: Changes were made to the large version since this preview was taken, so don't take the above too seriously.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:13:08 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets (Preview of large version on last page!)
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2012, 01:56:07 pm »

Please test out the new large versions, posted below! Let me know if any changes are requested! If I hear nothing, then tomorrow afternoon or so I'll update the original post with new screenshots and what-have-you. Created using scale2x on the original tilesets, then fixing all the pixels by hand, redrawing where necessary.

EDIT: Decided to put them up a little early, as I'm reasonably sure I've worked out all the quirks with them. Still requesting comments! Also, as a minor footnote, I found some problems with the original tileset while I was doubling it, but as the changes are pretty minor I quietly swapped out the tilesets and didn't make a big fuss out of it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:32:05 am by Taffer »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets (New large versions on last page! Requesting comments!)
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2012, 02:40:37 pm »

You could always just add a 1px border around the CLA creatures making them 20x20.
Looks great, by the way.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets (New large versions on last page! Requesting comments!)
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2012, 03:20:24 pm »

You could always just add a 1px border around the CLA creatures making them 20x20.
Looks great, by the way.

Thanks for the compliment! Your graphics set is awesome! I'd love to combine Taffer & CLA for people, either by attempting to shrink these tilesets or expanding CLA's creatures with a border. Perhaps I can work something out for people, as there would likely be some interest.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:36:42 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Exciting news! CLA addon posted on first post! Get the best of both worlds. Thanks to CLA for a great graphics set!

malmstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets (New, shiny double sized and CLA addon versions!)
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2012, 12:33:36 pm »

wow!! Really nice!!
Is it possible to have one zip file with CLA+Taffer already merged? It seems that I mess something when I put both on work :(

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets (New, shiny double sized and CLA addon versions!)
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2012, 01:50:52 pm »

wow!! Really nice!!
Is it possible to have one zip file with CLA+Taffer already merged? It seems that I mess something when I put both on work :(

I'm glad you like it! While I'm sure CLA might be willing, I am unwilling to provide a zip file that's already merged, as I feel it would be unintentionally taking credit for his work and would cause some confusion with people. I definitely don't want to try to "steal his thunder."  I'll be glad to help correct your problem, though!  You had a working CLA installation beforehand, then copied my addon over top of it? How specifically is it not working?

• If the game does not want to fire up at all, then perhaps you didn't have a full copy of CLA beforehand, and unzipped my addon over top of the standalone version of CLA.  In that case, your problem is that you don't actually have Dwarf Fortress, but merely addons for it.  Try unzipping my addon over the full version of CLA. Alternatively, perhaps you edited data/init/init.txt or data/init/d_init.txt to change my tileset version, or edit some settings, and entered something in wrong.  Note that my initial installation instructions were wrong, as I incorrectly claimed those files were inside the data directory, not data/init. This shouldn't have messed up your game though, unless you moved the files there in confusion.
  • If the game works perfectly fine, but simply is "vanilla" CLA, then it's an easy fix. The first version I had up had my files inside of a folder called taffercla. Following my installation instructions, you may simply have copied that directory into your game folder, where it's currently sitting uselessly, as the game won't look in there. Move the contents of that taffercla over top of your game, replacing the existing data and raw folders with my new ones.  Sorry for the confusion!
  • If everything seems to be in order, but your minecarts look odd in your saved game, it's because I had to take those graphics out, as I'm unable to get them working with Tocky's colours. (I know, I'm sad too.) This means you need to copy and paste my raw folder over top of your saved game's raw folder, located somewhere inside data/save.  Minecarts and tracks will work fine after this, of course, and will go back to looking like they do in vanilla DF.

I just updated the CLA+Taffer file and description to preemptively remedy some of the issues I just described.  I think I've covered every problem that I can think of, but if none of that works, let me know.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:08:17 pm by Taffer »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 50