Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 459408 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets (Blood and souls for my Lord Arioch! I mean, Armok!)
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2013, 10:28:48 pm »

Is there any way to do a 15x15 in addition to the 10x10 and 20x20? The former is to small for my little macbook air and the latter is to large. I think the 15x15 would be just right.  ;D

I've been considering a middling size, but I might have to pass on that. As silly as it sounds, the tilesets genuinely took up a lot of time for me, obsessing over small details. The 20x20 was comparatively easy as it was doubling the size of the original, not redrawing everything. Working with such small sizes means that it scales poorly at best. With that being said, I'll see what I can do.

It may not console you, seeing as size is the issue, but I'm working on new alternates with diagonal walls, for a more geometric, rounded look as an alternative. I'm also looking into bitmap fonts. I expect to have the thread updated with the improvements tomorrow or the day after, if I encounter problems with the bitmap font.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:42:20 pm by Taffer »

turabeasel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets (Blood and souls for my Lord Arioch! I mean, Armok!)
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2013, 08:34:12 am »

Your tilesets are fantastic and I can tell you put a lot of work into them. Whatever works best in your opinion, I just thought I'd throw out my two cents.  ;) It's really my own fault for having such an awkward screen size. I'll keep my eye out for updates. Thanks!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Probably my biggest update yet, as I updated the font. The font is Saikyo Serif from the incredible grafx2 software, if anyone cares. It was incomplete, so I drew the accented font characters myself. As I'm working with very small sizes here, I took the liberty of making a before and after screenshot, to better show the changes. As the name might indicate, the font is Serif, so if you prefer Sans fonts, then speak up, and I'll see about whipping up some. I need to redo the large sizes, which will be a bit yet. Aside from the font there are some new diagonal walls, which I've come to prefer in the past while. I've found my fortress designs changing as a result. As always, please post if you have any queries or comments!

Before:

After:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:08:06 pm by Taffer »

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile

I love the diagonals. Keep up the good work  :D

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile

The lower left lowercase b, looks awkward with that one pixel.

mkmr

• Bay Watcher
  • [INCOMPETENT]
    • View Profile

I agree, that b looks wierd. Otherwise, great job with the diagonals.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree, that b looks wierd. Otherwise, great job with the diagonals.

As per requests, fixed. The front post is updated. Personally I rather liked the errant pixel there, but I understand why it would annoy. Made it look almost handwritten.

Other than that, I'm glad people like it. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:39:34 am by Taffer »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like the diagonal walls. Not too convinced on the font though. I think it's too small for serif to work well. Mostly it looks alright (apart from the 'b' as mentioned, but the uppercase 'W' as well), but if you compare it to the old font, I think it's better.

Have you thought about how the diagonal walls will look with trees in the next version?
I'm thinking about using crenelated walls for my own tileset.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like the diagonal walls. Not too convinced on the font though. I think it's too small for serif to work well. Mostly it looks alright (apart from the 'b' as mentioned, but the uppercase 'W' as well), but if you compare it to the old font, I think it's better.

Have you thought about how the diagonal walls will look with trees in the next version?
I'm thinking about using crenelated walls for my own tileset.

I looked at the 'W', but it's not really fixable without making the letter sans serif, which will look out of place, or by pushing the letter outwards by two pixels. This makes it no longer align with other capitals, and is therefore even more noticeable.

Personally, I think the font works quite well, even at a small size. The 'b' is fixed, and the 'W' isn't that bad. When I'm not working quite so much (in a day or two), I can post some sans versions if you like. The number of tilesets might get unwieldy; I would then be up to 8 of them.

As to the trees, it should be fine, although the more traditional tiles will work better. Larger trees will look much more natural, as the corners will be nicely sloped, but any 4x4 trees will be diamond shaped. The branches will be further from the trunk than they are in the version with corners, but even then, I don't think it'll be very noticeable, but I could end up biting my words.

When I have some time I could throw up a picture if you like. It will be a good representation, provided that the multi-tile tree screenshots Toady posted remain accurate. I think both types will fare better than the default tileset, which has trees with rather sharp looking corners. Reminds me of Minecraft. Still much better than single tile trees, so I'm not complaining.

I like crenelated walls. It won't work well for trees or rivers, which is why I haven't used them, but most people don't seem to mind that, so it'll likely work well. Looking forward to seeing it!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:21:02 pm by Taffer »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tileset (clean & minimalist!)
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2013, 05:27:53 pm »

Would there be much interest in a TTF version? I attempted to convert it, but it doesn't appear to display properly, so I'm thinking I've mucked things up along the way. I'll see if I can fix things up if there's any interest.

yes please, I use dfterm2

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tileset (clean & minimalist!)
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2013, 07:05:52 pm »

Would there be much interest in a TTF version? I attempted to convert it, but it doesn't appear to display properly, so I'm thinking I've mucked things up along the way. I'll see if I can fix things up if there's any interest.

yes please, I use dfterm2

Done. Would you kindly let me know if they work properly? I have no means of testing presently.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48215832/taffer-ttfs.zip

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Yes, they work.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, they work.

Many thanks. Looks "blocky", but I surmise that's unavoidable.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:20:08 pm by Taffer »

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally I dislike the new font. The old one is simple and bold, very easy to recognize, whereas the new one seems cramped and busy. I also prefer the less embellished style for representing creatures, on account of how abstract it is. Of course, I can always just edit them back in if I feel the need to get a newer version, so it's not a big deal.

Having said all that I'll take this opportunity to mention that I absolutely love your tiles. Never leave home without 'em.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally I dislike the new font. The old one is simple and bold, very easy to recognize, whereas the new one seems cramped and busy. I also prefer the less embellished style for representing creatures, on account of how abstract it is. Of course, I can always just edit them back in if I feel the need to get a newer version, so it's not a big deal.

Having said all that I'll take this opportunity to mention that I absolutely love your tiles. Never leave home without 'em.

I'm creating sans serif versions tomorrow, so stay tuned! I think I like Saikyo Serif a little too much to ditch it, so 8 tilesets it is.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:22:58 pm by Taffer »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 50