Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 460376 times)

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics (Beautified ASCII!)
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2014, 12:28:19 pm »

Looks like party members and enemies are blinking too. Isn't it related to a creature class?

On unrelated note, is there any difference between 20x20 tileset in the first post and the last version http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7767 (except from resolution, obviously)?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2014, 02:20:59 pm »

Looks like party members and enemies are blinking too. Isn't it related to a creature class?

On unrelated note, is there any difference between 20x20 tileset in the first post and the last version http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7767 (except from resolution, obviously)?

I'm honestly not sure what is causing that bug, but I'm reproducing it on other graphic sets so I'm inclined to believe it's a known problem. I'm messaging somebody now to see if there's anything that I can do.

As for the large tilesets, there's quite a few differences. There are no graphics to match the 20x20 tilesets. I should probably update the thread to reiterate that, because they won't work properly if dropped into the current version. They are also based off of an older version of my tileset, so the font isn't as nice and there's a little less polish than there should be.

I haven't updated them yet because when I made them, I used scale2x to size them and it took a few hours to clean them up after, so it was a pain. When midterms are over I'll look into using a better shader and resizing the current set.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:40:36 pm by Taffer »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2014, 02:39:25 pm »

I'm honestly not sure what is causing that bug, but I'm reproducing it on other graphic sets so I'm inclined to believe it's a known problem, and not solvable by myself, although I'm messaging somebody now to see if there's anything that I can do.

As for the large tilesets, there's quite a few differences. There are no graphics to match the 20x20 tilesets. I should probably update the thread to reiterate that, because they won't work properly if dropped into the current version. They are also based off of an older version of my tileset, so the font isn't as nice and there's a little less polish than there should be.

I haven't updated them yet because when I made them, I used scale2x to size them and it took a few hours to clean them up after, so it was a pain. When midterms are over I'll look into using a better shader and resizing the current set.

You shouldn't need to use a shader, that's why it came out so weird, it's a bad idea. Personally I prefer a 2x to look like a 2x, so all you do is nearest neighbor increase the image by 2x, which will create a nice perfect pixel to pixel translation as long as the ratios stay solid like that, IE doing a 1.5x increase might make some oddities.

Bam doubled up.

It's how I double my images.

As you can see here you would just do the same to the graphicsets to fix those as they show up blurry when the 10x are stretched to 20x.

But it otherwise works perfectly fine. I could 2x everything you have in like 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:49:06 pm by Vherid »

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2014, 02:43:24 pm »

First of all posting to watch, and letting you know that I included your tileset in Macnewbie, because it looks great! :)

As for the large tilesets, there's quite a few differences. There are no graphics to match the 20x20 tilesets. I should probably update the thread to reiterate that, because they won't work properly if dropped into the current version.

I haven't tested extensively, so what are the effects of this? Will these sprites have lower quality, or should I expect some serious artifacts/ display bugs? I can live with lower quality for the time, but I need the 20x20 tiles, because all macs come with relatively high rez displays, so I need the bigger tiles. Should I use CLA addon until you redraw them? And also: on dffd you say that we should use Taffer 18x18 tilesets. To the best of my knowledge you have 10x10 and 20x20 sets. Which is correct? And CLA is supposed to be 16x16, so again, there's a bit mismatch. Would you kindly shed some light on this to me? Sorry for the noobish questions. :)

They are also based off of an older version of my tileset, so the font isn't as nice and there's a little less polish than there should be.
Looking forward to this!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2014, 03:27:31 pm »

First of all posting to watch, and letting you know that I included your tileset in Macnewbie, because it looks great! :)

Thanks for the compliment, and for including it!

I haven't tested extensively, so what are the effects of this? Will these sprites have lower quality, or should I expect some serious artifacts/ display bugs? I can live with lower quality for the time, but I need the 20x20 tiles, because all macs come with relatively high rez displays, so I need the bigger tiles. Should I use CLA addon until you redraw them? And also: on dffd you say that we should use Taffer 18x18 tilesets. To the best of my knowledge you have 10x10 and 20x20 sets. Which is correct? And CLA is supposed to be 16x16, so again, there's a bit mismatch. Would you kindly shed some light on this to me? Sorry for the noobish questions. :)

You would have expected blurry graphics. See below, though. I have a 10x10 set, a 20x20 set, and an 18x18 set designed for CLA that's getting old and senile. CLA is actually 18x18, not 16x16. I only recommend using the CLA addon if, well, you use CLA.

Looking forward to this!

You won't be waiting long. Check the new download. Because I didn't use a shader this time, it will look more "pixellated" than before. See Vherid's screenshot above for an example. The diagonal walls came out a little pixellated looking. I started smoothing them, but it clashed with the rest of the graphics set. I'll still go through the set again after mid-terms if people dislike the current double-sized version. I'll update CLA at that time as well, although obviously it won't include the graphics, and I may end up abandoning the diagonals if they're tricky to resize.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:52:41 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2014, 03:34:25 pm »

You shouldn't need to use a shader, that's why it came out so weird, it's a bad idea. Personally I prefer a 2x to look like a 2x, so all you do is nearest neighbor increase the image by 2x, which will create a nice perfect pixel to pixel translation as long as the ratios stay solid like that, IE doing a 1.5x increase might make some oddities.

[snip]

Bam doubled up.

[snip]

It's how I double my images.

[snip]

As you can see here you would just do the same to the graphicsets to fix those as they show up blurry when the 10x are stretched to 20x.

[snip]

But it otherwise works perfectly fine. I could 2x everything you have in like 5 minutes.

Don't I feel stupid. Thanks for the advice! The download is updated accordingly. I'll still smooth things out a little after midterms, but your advice got things updated. Thanks again!

-= Archive of old double-sized tilesets =-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:37:12 pm by Taffer »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2014, 03:41:55 pm »

See personally I like the jaggy/pixelated look. Just keeps the ascii/console/terminal feel to it. But I'd be interested to see how you do it, I've yet to make it look good personally with some of my bigger sets, the over-smoothing has always looked awkward.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2014, 04:02:25 pm »

You won't be waiting long. Check the new download. Because I didn't use a shader this time, it will look more "pixellated" than before. See Vherid's screenshot above for an example. The diagonal walls came out a little pixellated looking. I started smoothing them, but it clashed with the rest of the graphics set. I'll still go through the set again after mid-terms if people dislike the current double-sized version. I'll update CLA at that time as well, although obviously it won't include the graphics, and I may end up abandoning the diagonals if they're tricky to resize.

...../ )
.....' /
---' (_____
......... ((__)
..... _ ((___)
....... -'((__)
--.___((_)

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2014, 12:56:43 pm »

I got some time today to play around with your new double-sized tiles:
FYI the kobold graphics has not been resized, it 's only 10x10.
The other thing, which comes down to personal taste is that I prefer the old ones with the smooth look to the new ones with the jagged lines. :( So I'll be using those for the time as default, and provide the alternatives to the user.
Maybe you have already see this, or maybe you  can use this info to help with resizing in the future:

Expect some reasonably-readable 24x and 32x versions when everything's finished. I'll be using Hylian's BRh algorithm, which was well-received with DawnHack. Here's a little example of how well it works:

You see, it's very hit-or-miss but it's incredibly faithful (resizing it back to 16x16 with some algorithms will give you the original image pixel-for-pixel) and gives tiles a nice painterly look. It also works well with my style of heavy-antialiasing and is reasonable at 24x with bicubic resizing.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2014, 09:36:38 am »

I got some time today to play around with your new double-sized tiles:
FYI the kobold graphics has not been resized, it 's only 10x10.
The other thing, which comes down to personal taste is that I prefer the old ones with the smooth look to the new ones with the jagged lines. :( So I'll be using those for the time as default, and provide the alternatives to the user.
Maybe you have already see this, or maybe you  can use this info to help with resizing in the future:

I just fixed the upload. Sorry for that!

As a good portion of my free time is spent emulating, I'm already using the BRh algorithm. I'll likely use it to resize when I have some more free time, as it does a good job of enlarging. It does a better job than scale2x and hqx, at least. I did maintain an archive of the old smoothed out double-size set in the meantime, and I do intend to bring the aesthetic over to the double-sized. It will still take some time, though, and I'm a little short on it presently. I'd want to clean the artifacts up. The text, for example, didn't fare well in the example image.

See personally I like the jaggy/pixelated look. Just keeps the ascii/console/terminal feel to it. But I'd be interested to see how you do it, I've yet to make it look good personally with some of my bigger sets, the over-smoothing has always looked awkward.

I'll probably maintain both double-sized sets in the archive, for the best of both worlds.

I hope the folder structure is working for everybody, as the number of tilesets grows ever larger. (24, after the two double-sized sets are done) Forking something to maintain my own user-friendly "tileset installer" is not something I want to invest the time into maintaining. There doesn't seem to have been any confusion so far, however.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:51:10 am by Taffer »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2014, 07:37:34 pm »

So I applied CLA's BG coloring system to your tiles, it looks nice.

Cycle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2014, 02:23:37 am »

I only use this and CLA. Doesn't take too much from the game and it just looks awesome.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2014, 09:19:21 pm »

So I applied CLA's BG coloring system to your tiles, it looks nice.
[snip]

Makes things look almost graphical. I'm a little afraid of adding more options to the download. I just noticed your Egyptian mod. I'll have to investigate when I have some more time.

I only use this and CLA. Doesn't take too much from the game and it just looks awesome.

Thanks for the compliment! Hopefully the next update comes soon. Did you see Taffer+CLA on DFFD? I'll be updating it this weekend, likely.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2014, 07:23:43 pm »

Hey there mate! I was wondering, I'm new to the game and, is there any way to install this on the lazy newb pack(The LNP version)? The only file that's missing is d_init.txt, but it is kind of important, so I'm just wondering what I'm doing wrong.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2014, 05:38:04 pm »

I love this tileset... very nice work Taffer! Great for folks used to roguelikes who are having a bit of trouble working with rectangular aspect tiles!
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 50