Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 460297 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: Attractive ASCII for DF 0.40.21
« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2014, 02:28:23 pm »

Yet another small update. I'm not adjusting the version number, because there aren't any changes to the tilesets or graphics. Instead, I restored keybindings to the alternates folder. I'm not including the Lazy Newb Pack (aka "no number pad") keybindings. This would necessitate tracking down a new copy every time interface.txt changes and the DF Starter Pack lags behind releases while it waits for everything to get updated. Instead, I included my own personal keybindings: nothing fancy, but the mouse wheel changes z-levels now instead of zooming (which I never do). Zooming isn't disabled, you just need to hold down ctrl now while you use the mouse wheel.

Just a quality of life change that I thought people might appreciate. I much prefer this to the vanilla keybindings. It's not been made the default though, so you will need to copy it over from the alternates folder.

Incidentally, I also cleaned up my description even more. It's probably the least verbose description I've ever had for my tilesets. The preview image shows off the alternate fonts, walls, colours, and racial graphics anyways, so there was little need to keep things long-winded.

EDIT: DF was updated at the same time, and I didn't notice until immediately after. Luckily, no changes are required.
SECOND EDIT: I changed my mind on the SKY setting and changed it back to [SKY:250:8:0:0]. HaterSkater's point about z-level confusion is a valid one, but the game already has this identical effect underground. The small visual discrepancy between surface and underground bothered me, and I liked the look of the dots better anyways. I ended up playing Dwarf Fortress most of the day, in case it wasn't obvious.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 05:32:15 pm by Taffer »

deepfield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: Attractive ASCII for DF 0.40.22
« Reply #241 on: December 24, 2014, 10:39:26 pm »

I hate to be "that guy" but.....

Will this work with 0.40.23?

EDIT: Yep!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:45:42 pm by deepfield »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: Attractive ASCII for DF 0.40.22
« Reply #242 on: December 25, 2014, 01:36:28 am »

I hate to be "that guy" but.....

Will this work with 0.40.23?

EDIT: Yep!

It will indeed work with 0.40.23 - I just updated the version number after confirming that neither init.txt, d_init.txt, nor interface.txt changed in the new version.

Happy holidays!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 10:42:10 am by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: Improved Defaults for DF 0.40.24
« Reply #243 on: February 11, 2015, 10:39:12 pm »

I lost my motivation to work on a side project, so I thought I'd post it here for posterity's sake. It's already languished for a few weeks now. DragonDePlatino posted a thread here asking for thoughts on a new tileset. Shortly after I started working on an Art Deco version, inspired by this beautiful font. It was a mad idea, and I actually like my first revision. It's very rough, though, and certainly not up to finished quality. Note that the entire tileset remains DragonDePlatino's work. The only exception is the font, which of course is Pix3M's work, upscaled, cleaned, partially redrawn, and cut down to size by me. The accented characters aren't done, so I'd have to draw my own again. The font needs a fair amount of work unfortunately, and I intended to get around to redoing most of the rest of the (24x24) tileset as well, once that was done. I just don't have the time or motivation to finish this. Again, credit almost entirely to DragonDePlatino. I've had a few side projects abandoned that I didn't bother posting, but I wanted to post this one as I don't recall seeing an Art Deco inspired tileset before.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've been noticing my double-sized sets used more and more, so hopefully my existing 20x20 roughly upscaled variants are being received well.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:14:36 pm by Taffer »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 12, 2015, 11:42:11 pm »

That's the ticket, Taffer! We're heading into the age of 4K, so people are going to start using more high-resolution tilesets now. Working on larger tilesets is a good means of forward thinking.

Anyways, your tileset is looking pretty nice, though I can't help but think the new letters don't match each other very well. If you look at just about any font (even the one I'm typing in right now), you'll notice a lot of letters share a lot of similarities. They all have the same horizontal line thickness, and all of the lowercase letters are of matching height. This is absent in your lowercase letters, so you should probably work to make them a little more uniform.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2015, 10:12:32 am »

Art Deco Tileset

That's really nice.
I've been working on an art deco tileset too for a while. The fonts "Paulistana deco" and "decotech" are the ones I used as template, though in 18x18 it's not too easy to get the font look good. Especially the lower case letters and accented capital letters have been a headache.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: Improved ASCII for DF 0.40.24
« Reply #246 on: March 30, 2015, 06:16:55 am »

So this is basically all the vanilla ASCII symbols but redrawn? I'm going to give it a sure shot. I really love the vanilla ASCII but sometimes, especially when playing for a longer time it's a bit stressful for the eyes, but this looks like it might help!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 30, 2015, 04:27:21 pm »

So this is basically all the vanilla ASCII symbols but redrawn? I'm going to give it a sure shot. I really love the vanilla ASCII but sometimes, especially when playing for a longer time it's a bit stressful for the eyes, but this looks like it might help!

Yes. All of my tilesets are very close to the default game in style. They could theoretically be used again as code pages without any modification. Be sure to check out the different included colour schemes, and let me know what you think! It presently defaults to Tocky's colours, but I'm thinking about making either the vanilla colours or my own, bright colours the default.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 01, 2015, 07:33:39 am »

I'm best with vanilla colors. Or perhaps the brighter vanilla-like as well (didn't try that yet), but I'm really not for the other two, the brown is just too weird and the blue isn't that great either, at least to me as it is a matter of taste.

Ucarty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still using this. Simply the best for me. Really easy on the eyes. Great font. Great details.
Just letting you know your work is still being enjoyed.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another pointless post here just to say that I too love this set. Playing in 20x20 with the 'taffer' colour scheme as others are too dark for my monitor (or perhaps my old eyes).
Kept it as my default (with vanilla colours) while trying the new gemset Dorfs recently which was fun.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still using this. Simply the best for me. Really easy on the eyes. Great font. Great details.
Just letting you know your work is still being enjoyed.

Thank you for your kind words. I hope you found the oneshots folder, as you'd stated that you enjoyed dwarves with beards. It's nice to see people still use it. I was wondering if it'd be lost in the rush to TWBT. I'd update it if I felt any need to, but after 23 (public) revisions, I'm fresh out of things to modify. I wouldn't mind seeing the DF Starter Pack or something include it as a TWBT font option, though.

Another pointless post here just to say that I too love this set. Playing in 20x20 with the 'taffer' colour scheme as others are too dark for my monitor (or perhaps my old eyes).
Kept it as my default (with vanilla colours) while trying the new gemset Dorfs recently which was fun.

There aren't any pointless posts here, and I always appreciate them. I wish I could offer you a version that worked with GemSet! I started working on one, but I just don't have the time or motivation to start a new tileset. I imagine the taffer colour scheme looks good with DragonDePlatino's sprites.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile

Thank you for everything you've put into this. This is a beautiful tileset.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you for everything you've put into this. This is a beautiful tileset.

Thank you for taking the time to thank me! I'm glad that you like it.

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What happened to old hi-res version of the tileset? Last time I used it, it was smooth, now it is pixeleted.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=107924.msg5004063#msg5004063
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 50