Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 457841 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: Improved ASCII for DF 0.42.02 (10x10/20x20)
« Reply #270 on: December 08, 2015, 06:50:54 pm »

I like the idea of the dwarf letters, that's why I made the racial graphics resemble the letters (so big U shaped humans, little e with ears for elves, a g overlapped with a mirrored one for goblins) but some of them are really hard to do this way.

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 12, 2015, 04:08:24 pm »

I come back here after some months, and I still find the new evolutions of your tileset rather appealing.

I also made the drastic change depicted below, but there's no way I'm going to make it the default.

In the one-shots folder is this "dwarf letters" variant. I haven't seen this idea come up before, which surprises me. I've grown to quite like it in the several hours I've spent with it, but I'm aware it's a controversial change so it's in the one-shots folder. Be sure to turn off graphics if you use this, for obvious reasons. Rationale follows:

The only reason I made racial graphics to begin with was the visual disparity between dwarves, humans, elves, goblins, and kobolds. Despite the focus on dwarves, Tarn and Zach have always maintained that the game is/will be a "fantasy world generator", not just a "dwarf game". I've always liked the other DF races as much as the dwarves, and the visual disparity bothered me. The racial graphics are an imperfect idea due to vanilla bugs and my oddly limited choice of race. (Why kobolds and not gremlins? Trolls? Animal people?) TWBT is an option, but I often play without DFHack and I can only do so much with 10x10 to differentiate races anyways. This is my offered alternate solution, and I rather like it.

In the beginning I was dubious seeing this picture. But your explanation of why you did represent dwarves by "d" is actually very convincing. I never thought of the races that way, and I must admit that this double ledged "d" is in fact great to look at (particularly in the second iteration).

Although I do not post here often, let me tell you that each time I re-enter one of my "Dwarf Fortress periods", the first thing I do after having downloaded the game is to update it with your tileset. Well I must say that last time I lengthily hesitated with AutoReiv's tileset, but I found it too squared. Maybe I'll give it a try in the future.

As always, comments and criticism are welcome. Screenshots are especially welcome, but I rarely get those.

Here you got one. In a cavern, a bunch of unarmed dwarves are punching a giant olm (the blue exclamation point) as hard as they can. The poor beast is undergoing a permanent unconscious state, even if the dwarves barely scratch it. In the meantime I am trying to seal a part the the cavern, but of course the olm keeps scarying dwarves who come build the wall, allowing more dangerous creatures to wander around...

However I dislike the new brown, it is too close of a green-gray in my opinion. For example look at this designation (old versus new) :

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 12, 2015, 04:52:43 pm »

Updated to version XXVI. The new version now includes a new color scheme, used with permission. Thank you, RawberryCough! A few preview images are here. As with any color scheme, how much you like this one depends in part on your monitor: on my Windows desktop it looks too yellowish for me, but it looks quite good on my Fedora laptop.

I like the idea of the dwarf letters, that's why I made the racial graphics resemble the letters (so big U shaped humans, little e with ears for elves, a g overlapped with a mirrored one for goblins) but some of them are really hard to do this way.

Thanks! I've seen racial graphics and creatures resemble letters before (ie CLA), but I haven't seen a tileset before that just gives dwarves a simple ornate 'd'. I actually much prefer this now that I'm used to it.

I come back here after some months, and I still find the new evolutions of your tileset rather appealing.

In the beginning I was dubious seeing this picture. But your explanation of why you did represent dwarves by "d" is actually very convincing. I never thought of the races that way, and I must admit that this double ledged "d" is in fact great to look at (particularly in the second iteration).

Although I do not post here often, let me tell you that each time I re-enter one of my "Dwarf Fortress periods", the first thing I do after having downloaded the game is to update it with your tileset. Well I must say that last time I lengthily hesitated with AutoReiv's tileset, but I found it too squared. Maybe I'll give it a try in the future.

Here you got one. In a cavern, a bunch of unarmed dwarves are punching a giant olm (the blue exclamation point) as hard as they can. The poor beast is undergoing a permanent unconscious state, even if the dwarves barely scratch it. In the meantime I am trying to seal a part the the cavern, but of course the olm keeps scarying dwarves who come build the wall, allowing more dangerous creatures to wander around...

However I dislike the new brown, it is too close of a green-gray in my opinion. For example look at this designation (old versus new) :

Thank you kindly for the compliment and for the complaint. Hopefully the new brown is more to your liking. I'm glad that at least one person is interested in the "dwarf letters" variants: I honestly thought they'd be ignored.

Thanks for the screenshot! I love the caverns, especially the multi-tile mushrooms. My first order of business is usually to tunnel straight down and set up shop there. Damn olms. Good luck sealing off the caverns. Hopefully something happens to screw things up. (Losing is fun). I also fade in and out of fondness for Dwarf Fortress. Usually it's Skyrim for me, when I can spare the time.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:03:31 pm by Taffer »

paxy97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: Improved ASCII for DF 0.42.03 (10x10/20x20)
« Reply #273 on: December 12, 2015, 05:39:21 pm »

I really love your tileset and have been using it for quite a while. But I recently got a new laptop which has a higher pixel density so 10x10 tileset are just barely too small. I found a few nice 12x12 ones, but one thing I miss are the racial icons and I can't seem to find any for 12x12. So if you have the time and willpower to help out a happy user of your tileset, I'd be very exited to have your icons on a 12x12 set. I'm not asking for the whole tileset (that would be too much, just the few for different races. Thank you for being an awesome contributor <3
Don't Panic!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 12, 2015, 05:59:06 pm »

I really love your tileset and have been using it for quite a while. But I recently got a new laptop which has a higher pixel density so 10x10 tileset are just barely too small. I found a few nice 12x12 ones, but one thing I miss are the racial icons and I can't seem to find any for 12x12. So if you have the time and willpower to help out a happy user of your tileset, I'd be very exited to have your icons on a 12x12 set. I'm not asking for the whole tileset (that would be too much, just the few for different races. Thank you for being an awesome contributor <3

Thank you kindly. You're welcome.

Hopefully these are serviceable. Change [TILE_DIM:10:10] to [TILE_DIM:12:12] in all of the graphics raws.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 12, 2015, 08:25:03 pm »

I forgot to ask: do you use any mods, or install things into a save that was using graphical raws? From memory, I never see walls with those letters in the vanilla game (eg å, ä), yet I consistently see screenshots of my tilesets that look like that. The only way I've been able to reproduce it is to take a Phoebus saved game (or some other full graphics mod) and install Taffer over top of it.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 12, 2015, 09:24:13 pm »

Are the keybinds/inits properly updated for 42.03? I know there are a few changes.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 12, 2015, 09:42:28 pm »

Are the keybinds/inits properly updated for 42.03? I know there are a few changes.

Yes they are. I check with fc or diff myself for file differences every update and recreate everything as necessary. The keybindings are created using the in-game options screen, and I always check both the keybindings in-game and the error log before posting any changes.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:46:36 pm by Taffer »

paxy97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 13, 2015, 08:38:18 am »

Thank you kindly. You're welcome.

Hopefully these are serviceable. Change [TILE_DIM:10:10] to [TILE_DIM:12:12] in all of the graphics raws.

You are the best. Works perfectly and now I can finally use ascii properly. Thank you so very much
Don't Panic!

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 13, 2015, 11:05:50 am »

I forgot to ask: do you use any mods, or install things into a save that was using graphical raws? From memory, I never see walls with those letters in the vanilla game (eg å, ä), yet I consistently see screenshots of my tilesets that look like that. The only way I've been able to reproduce it is to take a Phoebus saved game (or some other full graphics mod) and install Taffer over top of it.

I use the Peridexiserrant pack with DFHack and Dwarf Therapist. To install your tileset I took the ASCII graphics from the Peridexiserrant pack, overwrite the data/ and raw/ folder with yours, and set GRAPHICS to NO in init.txt. Am I doing something wrong ? Actually these letters did not surprise me but it has been a long time since I played Dwarf Fortress last time so I can't remember how it should be. In this picture the "å" is orthoclase, and the "ä" is gneiss if I remember well.

EDIT: Well indeed after checking the wiki there is definitively something wrong. Orthoclase should be "%" and gneiss "=". I will try to investigate on this.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:08:23 am by 0rion »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 13, 2015, 11:23:06 am »

EDIT: Well indeed after checking the wiki there is definitively something wrong. Orthoclase should be "%" and gneiss "=". I will try to investigate on this.

Your games RAW files aren't the vanilla ones. To fix it you'll need to overwrite the raws with the vanilla raws, both in your save folder and inside your game.

I've tried to give people a heads up about this, but I should think of a better warning.

Do not install this over other graphic sets.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:26:19 pm by Taffer »

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My game RAW files weren't the vanilla ones. But this was due to the Peridexiserrant pack which messed up with the graphics. What I did before :

• Install the Peridexiserrant pack
  • Install Taffer graphics in Peridexiserrant pack's folder using the ASCII graphics
  • Change the graphics to Taffer (from the Peridexiserrant pack)

What I did to fix the wrong characters :

• Download the game without the Peridexiserrant pack
  • Install Taffer in top of raw/ files
  • Replace the raw/ from Peridexiserrant pack and my saved game by the one from the previous step

So that others know how to fix it. I noticed that this is not related to Taffer, if you use Peridexiserrant pack to move from Phoebus to the original ASCII tileset you end up with the same wrong characters.

Now look at these marvellous vanilla-true walls ! By the way it wasn't gneiss but gabbro :

For the story the puncher dwarves finally killed the giant olm. They could then finish to seal off the cavern just before a cave crocodile showed up. The miners are currently digging to make room, you can notice that the orthoclase walls are not here anymore. We'll put pastures here, so space is required.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Adding this "4chan" edition to the oneshots folder when the next version comes out. It's an older variant. I confess that I still don't like it, but some of the harsher borders are smoothed out somewhat. I'm not updating this with any of the little fixes I've made to my tileset since then, I'm just adding this as-is to the oneshots folder.

I don't really understand not wanting to use newer variants of my set, considering I put the old dwarf symbols in the oneshots folder and a few alternates besides, and little else is different enough to warrant the preference. The newer sets don't have the smoothed double-sized variant, however, so that's fixed now.

Hopefully this will placate people who don't want to update to newer releases. If there's interest in having me clean this variant up more, speak up.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:45:46 am by Taffer »

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile

If there's interest in having me clean this variant up more, speak up.

I never have stopped using that one, I think the only thing its been missing was the ladder.
Always loved the walls of it as well. The dwarfs had beards and were not smiley faces.
There's was never really a need to update tilesets because they were rather timeless and never need updating till the ladder.

Also stop being so harsh on your old work everyone has their own taste I think that just updating the symbols should be enough.
I do consider the these dwarfs to be pretty dwarfy. Wouldn't mind seeing a few different variants of dwarfs for this variant.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Yeah I noticed that one over on /dfg/ and thought it was pretty cool but didn't place it as yours since I never saw your older sets.

I'm always happiest with the one I'm working on right now, so I feel ya there.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 50