Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 457781 times)

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile

Still can't bring myself to change from it even though it would help fps on this bad laptop.
Theres CLA but that doesn't have the dwarfs and uses solid backgrounds on terrain, I like the objects on that for beds and etc.

If you do a dwarf with a beard and a helmet for military I might be willing to try the newer 10 size ones, do prefer 20 though.
Wouldn't mind seeing the steps you do to get the tilesets where they have to be for releasing them.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No relevant file changes between 42.03 and 42.04, so everything is compatible.

Still can't bring myself to change from it even though it would help fps on this bad laptop.
Theres CLA but that doesn't have the dwarfs and uses solid backgrounds on terrain, I like the objects on that for beds and etc.

If you do a dwarf with a beard and a helmet for military I might be willing to try the newer 10 size ones, do prefer 20 though.
Wouldn't mind seeing the steps you do to get the tilesets where they have to be for releasing them.

The oneshots folder includes alternate tiles for dwarves with several variations of bearded dwarves/military dwarves in both 10x10 and 20x20, which is why I expressed mild confusion earlier. The 4chan variant will also be included in the same oneshots folder. When I get home from vacation I'd be happy to draw some more alternates if you like.

I'm glad that you enjoying my work, regardless of which version you happen to prefer. Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:46:43 pm by Taffer »

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile

Found them but there wasn't any screen shots of them in action, it was very hard to see them.

Will probably use the graphics if you also do some more variation for the other races.
Base dwarf is the only one that really wants more variants seeing as there's a few others for helms.
Bearded ones really has a dwarfish character to it over the smiley faces.

I just love the diagonal walls so much. Don't you dare think I'll move on from my favourite tileset either, thanks for making it tidy it was a bit hard on the edges, I did think it added to the stone though (marble and others).

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Updated to 0.42.06. The keybindings seemed to need to be recreated, and the date in init.txt was updated.

I had a surge of creative inspiration recently, and I'm sitting on a 20 (or so) potential changes. Some large, some small. I spent a few days working on this. No intention of making all of them permanent, I've just been playing around. Unfortunately, a few of the tiles were inspired by a different tileset and I'm still waiting on the tileset artist for permission to proceed. I'll let a slow trickle of feedback creep in before deciding what stays. I've also been slowly redrawing the 20x20 variant, but to be honest I hate doing it and so progress is glacial. If I ever finish it, though, then 20x20 will be properly supported rather than being merely rescaled variants. This shows a few of the (potential) new tiles:

I particularly like the new ramp arrows here, and the new rope reed tile. They'll likely be among the new tiles, unless people object. Jury's still out on the new water/ramp/mountain and the new bamboo looking tile and the new dirt/sky/stone tiles. Any colour changes are the result of shading certain tiles, not the result of a change of color.txt. A few of the tiles I whipped up are "graphical", but that stuff might need to be shunted into a "oneshots" variant. Notably, I have a version where almost every tree tile looks like an actual tree again and the ruins tile looks like a ruined keep. Goblin keeps always resemble goblin keeps. The world map is looking noticeably better.

Some more tiles:

This one has another set of dirt/sky/stone/ice tile variants. The new evil, wormy tendrils and bottom row staring eyeball are definitely going in.

Feedback on all of the above would be greatly appreciated. As mentioned, I'm sitting on more tiles of various degrees of quality and "ASCII suitability". At some point I'll put up a gallery of side-by-side comparisons for things, after adding in the (hopefully) less egregious changes.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 12:37:57 am by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Proposed immediate changes (dwarf letters aren't being made the default or anything, so ignore the two "dwarf" tiles)

I perceive these to be the least controversial changes. The new shaded tiles makes water, lava, z-level ramps, and mountains all stand out less, as they should. Another preview of the changes (again, the colour scheme was not changed in between shots)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:34:39 pm by Taffer »

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX

Your new ramp arrows are nice. I love the look of the eyeballs, especially since they also suit the context of eggs, sea foam, bowls, etc perfectly (248).

I would say that I prefer the (newer?) brighter water and mountains and the (older?) withered plants/tendrils (169,170). I'm more fond of the traditional reed/splint/bamboo tile over the "||" one.

Overall, your aethestic sense is present in your original and new ideas - the clarity, the special "d" characters, and so forth. Awesome stuff.
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your new ramp arrows are nice. I love the look of the eyeballs, especially since they also suit the context of eggs, sea foam, bowls, etc perfectly (248).

I would say that I prefer the (newer?) brighter water and mountains and the (older?) withered plants/tendrils (169,170). I'm more fond of the traditional reed/splint/bamboo tile over the "||" one.

Overall, your aethestic sense is present in your original and new ideas - the clarity, the special "d" characters, and so forth. Awesome stuff.

Thank you for the feedback and compliments! My apologies, I should have made the gif clearer. I'll probably revert the shaded (darker) water/mountains, and put an optional variant in with those changes. Hopefully this image is a little clearer.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:11:09 pm by Taffer »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Love the tendrils and lobster, I dig the ramps and arrows too.

The water tile (sand/snow tile to me, I use the depth markers) looks nice but I like putting a translucent layer behind ground tiles and can handle the faint backgrounds that show up in text when done like that.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hope you don't mind but I think the next time I get a bug to upscale/desquare a set I'mma grab yours as it is one of the big ones I'm missing.

I also love the dwarf tiles and that they have the dot for soldiers, I did that with my goblin graphical tiles.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:54:39 pm by Max™ »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I also love the dwarf tiles and that they have the dot for soldiers, I did that with my goblin graphical tiles.

Thank you kindly for the feedback!

The water tile (sand/snow tile to me, I use the depth markers) looks nice but I like putting a translucent layer behind ground tiles and can handle the faint backgrounds that show up in text when done like that.

I'll leave tricks like that to other tilesets. Personally, I like the purity of not having backgrounds anywhere.

Hope you don't mind but I think the next time I get a bug to upscale/desquare a set I'mma grab yours as it is one of the big ones I'm missing.

I don't mind at all. I'd appreciate a name in the credits for that tileset. Cheers!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile

I have to agree that I prefer the weird f over the || for plants. the || is just too jarring.

I also personally prefer the diagonal lined walls over the circle filled ones.

That tree with the hanging vegetation is interesting but I'm not a fan of the fat hill shaped things at all.

The tendril/eye shaped things are neat, and they're not bad, but I'd personally not use them. I like the more symmetrical clean ascii and I think that's what stays more in line with the tileset as a whole.

The lobster, rope, "r" thing, are all nice changes though, as are the ramps.

As far as the shading thing goes in terms of making the features darker, I'm not really sure either way, doesn't seem to make a big enough difference for it to matter one way or another.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you kindly for the feedback!

I'll leave tricks like that to other tilesets. Personally, I like the purity of not having backgrounds anywhere.
Yeah, when I rescale I like to offer the versions with and without the backgrounds for those who like them. Gotten a good hang of using the GIMP tools to do this now, the one I posted was the curses_640x300 originally.

I don't mind at all. I'd appreciate a name in the credits for that tileset. Cheers!
Oh for sure I always try to keep the original artist name in the set, since yours is 16x16 I'll probably do Taffer32x48.png or something with a regular 32x32 cleaned up one as well. I do my part to clean them back up but the original art and style it provides is always artist work well appreciated by me.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, every time I tried to smooth the edges it came out looking like crap compared to how it was originally, so I am extra impressed at how well your overall aesthetic works even at larger scales.

Taffer30x45.png:

Taffer30x30.png:

Click for full size of course, they're good sized.

I'm still playing with the shaded version a bit but needed to take a break from staring at pixels up close, but those two work great as just straight upscales/nonsquares.

Oh, I loved the modified ramp/etc tiles but I liked them lighter.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:04:06 am by Max™ »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Totally stealing your dorf tile idea, just for the record, at least for the sake of variety when I feel like going pure ascii/no-graphics.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok wait wait wait wait, I just noticed something, and I'm going to give you credit even if you didn't mean to do it deliberately.

I made my own dorfletters version of my set and it really is cool once you get used to it, but I just now noticed that the "dw" (I say 'dwuh' when I read it out loud for whatever reason) tile looks like an upside down mug.

Is there any way that could be more apt yet still immediately distinguishable at a glance?

You, Taffer, are awesome.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile

To the mod maker: Thank you so much! This just made playing DF much easier on my eyes and less depressing for me.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 50