Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 457768 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Heck I like seeing the thought behind it and feel the motivation on pixel perfection. That's why I like posting sets over on /dfg/ to hear what people like and dislike. Naturally it's probably annoying having one of your older sets being so popular but it's got a great style to it.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks, Taffer, for explaining the map to me better. I just finished rendering my world in 10x10_Taffer_serif_hollow_straight. It's a 7.4 megapixel pocket world.

(click thumbnail for full version on imgur)

edit: World-gen info on the imgur page is wrong. Here's the correct world gen data if anyone happens to want it:
Spoiler: world_gen parameters (click to show/hide)

Max™, are you saying that Taffer has tilesets other than this one?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:20:23 pm by jecowa »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Max™, are you saying that Taffer has tilesets other than this one?

Current release includes 34 tilesets. I only increment the version number when the tilesets change, not for DF updates. This is the oldest copy of my work that still exists, to my knowledge (March 2012). It's basically just a tweaked Tocky, and almost everything is different, including the font itself. Of the screenshots that I usually see of my work, many tend to be of older versions.

I have other tilesets outside of my main archives, but only two have been published to my recollection: a barely-started "Art Deco" themed tileset in this thread somewhere, and my CLA addon.

Also, that's a great map, thank you! I've never rendered maps that large before.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:21:37 pm by Taffer »

Hexatona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know this is a weird question, but is there a TTF font that's very similar to this one?  I've only been able to see like bitmap fonts and any attempts to use those font finder things where you upload a picture and identify all the letters came up with zilch...

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe use Courier or Roboto Slab for Taffer_serif and Menlo or Ubuntu for Taffer_sans_serif.

Hexatona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So far, the best I've found that come close are Topaz-8 and Squareshooter Mono    -   I just love the squaredness...

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, that Topaz-8 looks pretty close. If you want something that's exactly like Taffer pixel-for-pixel, you could make your own. There are downloadable apps that will let you make fonts. There's also an online one that looks pretty simple. http://www.pentacom.jp/pentacom/bitfontmaker2/

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know this is a weird question, but is there a TTF font that's very similar to this one?  I've only been able to see like bitmap fonts and any attempts to use those font finder things where you upload a picture and identify all the letters came up with zilch...

As jecowa says, you're best off converting your own. I did it myself for a user once, and I don't remember it being hard. (The link doesn't work anymore).

Wow, that Topaz-8 looks pretty close. If you want something that's exactly like Taffer pixel-for-pixel, you could make your own. There are downloadable apps that will let you make fonts. There's also an online one that looks pretty simple. http://www.pentacom.jp/pentacom/bitfontmaker2/

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Taffer: 31 released. I didn't adjust the badlands checkmark after all, as I had difficulty drawing a new one that met the criteria. I might try again with the next update. More changes are in the pipeline, some minor and some hypothetical major ones.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:23:42 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The alternate dwarf graphics went astray. They've been re-added.

Looking Good

Thank you!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Previewing the first of two (possible) new font options to my pack. 64 tilesets, yeah! I could celebrate with a Commodore 64 graphic and cry into a beer every time I update. Introducing Taffer Berlin:

Similarity to tilesets other than mine is coincidental. As far as I can tell, nobody's used this font for DF before.

Please be petty and mean, reader-senpai. I'd rather fix issues now than later. Yes, it's hard to read. Use my sans-serif if you want readability.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 06:48:21 pm by Taffer »

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile

I prefer the regular reading letters, this one is painful and artsy (its the painful thing that's a 'con', artsy being a 'pro'). I don't even know what half the letters are supposed to be its like "is it a G or an O? or is a it a 0? No, must be a.. agh, why's it so hard!".
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm surprised you were able to make a blackletter font look so nice at such a small point size.

Here's a side-by-side of Taffer Berlin 10x10 and Lucida Blackletter 10x10 (both with Taffer colors).

Taffer Berlin

Lucida Blackletter

Although the anti-aliased font looks a bit less pixely, the crisp 1-bit font handles scaling much better (as seen in the spoiler below).

After scaling, Taffer Berlin still looks pretty good while Lucida Blackletter is pretty blurry.

By the way, your "S" looks a lot like a "G". I guess there will be over 60 images to choose from in your pack now?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it okay to include your tileset in Lazy Newb Packs?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 50