Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 457851 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's tilesets. 10x/20x
« Reply #480 on: November 03, 2016, 02:12:09 pm »

The pillar-inside-pillar is only better if you plan on reusing that for tree trunks.

The nested column does make a great tree trunk, but for use as a column, I think I like the hollow one a little better.
Edit: Oh, now there is a third "L" option. That's an interesting one. I like that one.

Quote from: Taffer
No idea if usr_share named the font after that character.

I didn't realize the font was called Hoshi. I was thinking the dwarf buck / sunshine character might have been called Hoshi.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 04, 2016, 05:13:01 am »

The tetris columns are great.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 07, 2016, 10:02:54 am »

Another release, and the last one I'm expecting to make for a while. I'm still open to reverting or changing the solid wall tile, but I settled on after all.

I thinned the diaereses/umlauts to match 'i' and 'j' in all tilesets and put some more polish into Moscow. It's now more pleasant to use (and my personal favourite tileset). Diaereses/umlauts are now used to differentiate military dwarves from non-military dwarves just like other races. Moscow dwarves remain 'д' and 'Д'.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:19:35 am by Taffer »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 07, 2016, 10:15:58 am »

Those thinned accents look nice.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 14, 2016, 11:56:28 pm »

What do people think of this? Now is exactly the time to be pedantic and point out missing pixels.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is the rest of the serif set. I won't be done for a while in any case: there's still 3 more tilesets, ignoring the comparatively trivial alternate walls and dwarf letters. Is it worth it?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:30:14 pm by Taffer »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 15, 2016, 12:51:25 am »

Oh nice, it's Taffer Serif 20x20. I like it. Here's some pedantic stuff:

The / and \ accents looks a bit too long.
The circle on the å might look better if it was lowered a pixel.
The circle on the Å might look better if it was shifted to the left a pixel.
The ^ accents might look better if they were lowered a pixel, and I'm wondering if the ^ accent on them is too large.

Maybe make the "W" look more like a vertical mirror of the "M".
The "T" looks kind of small. Maybe some pixels should be added to the left and right side to make the top serifs thicker.
The "x" might look a bit slender compared to the other characters.
Some characters such as the "T" through "Z" are centered in the tile while others like "D" through "G" are aligned a bit more to the left. But maybe that's intentional. 

Maybe the "M" & "N" would look better with their stems a bit farther apart.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 15, 2016, 10:41:16 am »

Oh nice, it's Taffer Serif 20x20. I like it. Here's some pedantic stuff:

The / and \ accents looks a bit too long.
The circle on the å might look better if it was lowered a pixel.
The circle on the Å might look better if it was shifted to the left a pixel.
The ^ accents might look better if they were lowered a pixel, and I'm wondering if the ^ accent on them is too large.

Maybe make the "W" look more like a vertical mirror of the "M".
The "T" looks kind of small. Maybe some pixels should be added to the left and right side to make the top serifs thicker.
The "x" might look a bit slender compared to the other characters.
Some characters such as the "T" through "Z" are centered in the tile while others like "D" through "G" are aligned a bit more to the left. But maybe that's intentional. 

Maybe the "M" & "N" would look better with their stems a bit farther apart.

Thank you kindly for the detailed critique. I've addressed everything you specified except for the centered characters, which I can't fix. When I find the time in the next few days I'll start working on the remaining three fonts.

Remainder of the serif set
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:30:29 pm by Taffer »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 15, 2016, 02:42:13 pm »

Naturally Max likes. The bottom of the ô, the bottom right corner of the g, the top right of the §, the bars of the tile 153 are offset to the right, the lower left serif of the £ is kinda awkward, a lot thicker than the others, the bottom right of the Q above the stem might be intentional, same with the inner corner on the ? marks, looks great though.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 15, 2016, 03:29:39 pm »

Naturally Max likes. The bottom of the ô, the bottom right corner of the g, the top right of the §, the bars of the tile 153 are offset to the right, the lower left serif of the £ is kinda awkward, a lot thicker than the others, the bottom right of the Q above the stem might be intentional, same with the inner corner on the ? marks, looks great though.

Thank you for pointing out more problem areas! Let's hope this next iteration is the final one for the serif sets. I fixed everything you mentioned except for ? and its inverted cousin. Fortunately, there's a lot of shared tiles with the sans-serif set and a few shared tiles with Moscow and Blackletter, so hopefully the road ahead isn't too long.

20x20 serif set
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:35:56 pm by Taffer »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 15, 2016, 11:15:39 pm »

Rock on, I figured the ? might be deliberate, I like the familiar feeling touches that remind me of the /dfg/ set, just cleaned up, oh god I feel like such a dick but I gotta point it out. Bottom left of the { tile:

I can understand standardizing the bars, but man, I really liked the little square for the soldier dorfletters, since I like having the different soldier tiles with some unused tiles, though I like the elf ones as smaller squares.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 03:55:50 am by Max™ »

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 21, 2016, 04:15:18 pm »

I feel dumb to ask, but I can't find the tileset with the dwarf letters anywhere. I searched on the Github repositories (both). Where are they??

By the way, the work is still great, thanks!  :D

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 21, 2016, 05:20:47 pm »

All of the variations are located in like /taffer v4.5/taffer/tilesets/.

This location kind of makes sense when you consider that half of Taffer users don't use Lazy Newb Packs. I would guess that most Taffer users who use Lazy Newb Packs would use the Taffer included with the pack, so this download would mostly be used by people who manually install their graphics packs. But then again, I don't think any of the LNPs include every single Taffer tileset.

Maybe a format that would work well for both manual installers and LNP users would be to put all the tilesets PNGs into /taffer v4.5/data/art/ folder then put a bunch of variations of the init.txt file into the /taffer v4.5/taffer/tilesets/* folders.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:33:43 pm by jecowa »

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 21, 2016, 05:29:47 pm »

All of the variations are located in like /taffer v4.5/taffer/tilesets/.

All I find in there are the variations with the regular dwarves, not the letters. For example taffer-4.5/taffer/tilesets/default_10x10/sans_serif/hollow_walls/straight_walls/data/art/taffer.png contains the regular dwarven figures, and all the variations are like this.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:56:59 am by 0rion »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 21, 2016, 05:34:28 pm »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 21, 2016, 09:18:35 pm »

Isn't the "dw" letter a great idea? I mean, it looks like you'd say "dw" when pronouncing it.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 50