Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 457780 times)

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's tilesets. 10x/20x
« Reply #495 on: November 22, 2016, 08:04:40 am »

Nopal

« Reply #496 on: November 23, 2016, 07:07:51 pm »

<Deleted>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:25:23 pm by Nopal »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 10, 2016, 11:23:21 am »

A response to some 4chan posts, mainly because it's useful criticism and I can preserve my answers here. Thank you!

Seems good, these holes are still bothering me though. Any way to edit the graphics to fill them up, or at the very least make them smaller?
Also, do I need dfhack to be able to see multiple z-levels below me, or can I get it to work in standalone?

Image:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No, there's nothing that can be done about the holes. The only way to completely fill them would be to make the walls the entire width of the tile, but that would be not only ugly but problematic: many tiles would become indistinguishable from each other. It's possible that TWBT could help resolve it, but I'm not interested in making my pack rely on DFHack (nor do I know if it can detect "inner walls"). For what it's worth, my "straight hollow walls" are probably the tileset where I notice it the least.

I'll try to widen the solid walls for the next release to minimize this problem.

Yes, you need DFHack to see multiple z-levels below you. You don't need a starter pack or anything to install it, but obviously you will need to be running a version it supports: ignore the init.txt and d_init.txt files in my pack along with the keybindings and make the appropriate changes to the old version yourself.

edited the dwarf icons as they were practically indistinguishable from humans. Pretty gud tileset otherwise.

Thank you kindly. I like the pointy beards in particular. You're right, dwarves are almost identical to humans right now. There are alternate graphics files for you to use in my pack if you prefer, but I'll see what I can do about that by default: humans might become a little grumpier with the next release.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 11:56:22 am by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 10, 2016, 11:35:15 am »

I agree with MaxTM the old soldier dorfletters desing looks better.

Sorry, I should have responded sooner. I'm not really sure what to do about this: to be honest, I prefer the consistency of the new design to the old one, and the new soldier tile actually approaches something resembling a real letter (d with a diaeresis/umlaut isn't a real letter in unicode to my knowledge, but there are plenty of other consonents with them). Dwarves, elves, and humans all have the same soldier diaereses now.

If I get more critique on the matter I'll probably reconsider. Thanks for the input!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 11:39:33 am by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 11, 2016, 04:33:17 pm »

v4.6 has been partially committed on GitHub. I don't anticipate finishing for a while yet, so I thought I'd at least post what I had so far for the impatient.

Work so far:
 • the 20x serif sets have been properly "smoothed", and look much better (less blocky)
 • solid walls have been widened everywhere, and the solid wall pillars have been reverted to what I had before. As a result of this change, some of the 20x sets are now an odd mix of smoothed tiles and unsmoothed tiles, so stick to the current release if you like the 20x series in anything but serif.
 • tiles 211 and 221 have been fixed.

Work remaining:
 • finish the rest of the 20x series.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 04:44:50 pm by Taffer »

DorfAnon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 26, 2016, 07:16:10 pm »

Liking the new walls, they don't really take anything away and make the holes more bearable.
Also, on a side note, why did you make ramps not be triangles? Nothing big really, but it kinda bothers me on the map view when the higher mountains don't look as full as in the original ASCII. No idea if people prefer it as it is, I just always edit them myself to please muh autism.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 27, 2016, 12:10:04 am »

Liking the new walls, they don't really take anything away and make the holes more bearable.
Also, on a side note, why did you make ramps not be triangles? Nothing big really, but it kinda bothers me on the map view when the higher mountains don't look as full as in the original ASCII. No idea if people prefer it as it is, I just always edit them myself to please muh autism.

Thank you kindly. I should probably find the time to finish the next release. The new double-sized tilesets are what's occupying my attention. I've done half of the gothic sets and all of the sans-serif and serif sets.

I'll see about revisiting the ramps, but this is something I'm uncertain about changing. The ramps aren't triangles because I've always disliked the triangles. The slopes shouldn't be important, they should fade into the background of a scene. I want to look at the goblins charging at my stupid, undefended fisherman, but my eyes are drawn instead to the slopes. On a whim I whittled them down a little to try to draw less attention to them and I've been quite pleased with the result. You may need to keep editing them yourself, but I'll see if I can find something better.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:44:58 am by Taffer »

DorfAnon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 27, 2016, 04:36:26 am »

Thank you kindly. I should probably find the time to finish the next release. The new double-sized tilesets are what's occupying my attention. I've done half of the gothic sets and all of the sans-serif and serif sets.

I'll see about revisiting the ramps, but this is something I'm uncertain about changing. The ramps aren't triangles because I've always disliked the triangles. The slopes shouldn't be important, they should fade into the background of a scene. I want to look at the goblins charging at my stupid, undefended fisherman, but my eyes are drawn instead to the slopes. On a whim I whittled them down a little to try to draw less attention to them and I've been quite pleased with the result. You may need to keep editing them yourself, but I'll see if I can find something better.
No need to change for me, it's a small edit and I see your point about making them less noticeable.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 08, 2017, 03:28:22 pm »

Released 4.6. I lost track of all of the small fixes, but at least the 20x20 sets have been redrawn. As mentioned, the solid walls are thicker.

Due to various frustrations in releasing this, I'm very tempted to drop support entirely for the blackletter sets, the alternate racial graphics, and the minitaffer sets. The blackletter tilesets make for a good font but the look isn't very cohesive and they can be hard to read. They didn't double well to 20x20 and I'm questioning whether I want to continue support for them. The alternate racial graphics and the minitaffer sets are in the same boat: I'm proud of them, but I want to simplify the download and ease maintenance going forward.

It doesn't help that I haven't seen any evidence of use for anything I just mentioned.

I'm somewhat tempted to abandon support for 20x20 even though I just redrew it all, but I'll leave well enough alone for now. People seem to like using them.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:42:51 pm by Taffer »

DorfAnon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 08, 2017, 04:12:01 pm »

Released 4.6. I lost track of all of the small fixes, but at least the 20x20 sets have been redrawn. As mentioned, the solid walls are thicker.

Due to various frustrations in releasing this, I'm very tempted to drop support entirely for the blackletter sets, the alternate racial graphics, and the minitaffer sets. The blackletter tilesets make for a good font but the look isn't very cohesive and they can be hard to read. They didn't double well to 20x20 and I'm questioning whether I want to continue support for them. The alternate racial graphics and the minitaffer sets are in the same boat: I'm proud of them, but I want to simplify the download and ease maintenance going forward.

It doesn't help that I haven't seen any evidence of use for anything I just mentioned.

I'm somewhat tempted to abandon support for 20x20 even though I just redrew it all, but I'll leave well enough alone for now. People seem to like using them.

I use the racial graphics, with some small editions to them. Tried the CLA graphics but I prefer yours more since I feel that it fits to the game more with the style you've got going. Though if no one else uses them then I can just continue to edit them in myself, so no biggie.

Also a small side-note, no idea how it is in this version, but on the last version the init files were really messy in normal notepad. Since you probably use another program you didn't notice, but it made navigating them in the windows default version a pain. No idea if you can make them more view-able in the future.

EDIT: messy in the sense that it lacked enters in-between all the brackets, so you had to scroll the text left-to-right to find all the brackets. I feel like I'm missing some vocabulary to explain myself properly, so hopefully you understand my meaning.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:14:23 pm by DorfAnon »

Vox Imperatoris

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 08, 2017, 04:19:50 pm »

I definitely like the 20x20 tilesets. A vast improvement over 10x10.

However, I'm having a problem with the racial graphics. Dwarves, elves, and kobolds show up with a black picture on a black background, instead of their proper colors.

Do you know why this is? Have I done something wrong in the installation? I'm using your tileset with the "Mishka" color set by Vherid, but it happens with your colors, too.

Also, I can confirm that the .init files are messed up, with no line breaks. It's very annoying to read. A fix would be appreciated.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 08, 2017, 04:39:28 pm »

I use the racial graphics, with some small editions to them. Tried the CLA graphics but I prefer yours more since I feel that it fits to the game more with the style you've got going. Though if no one else uses them then I can just continue to edit them in myself, so no biggie.

Also a small side-note, no idea how it is in this version, but on the last version the init files were really messy in normal notepad. Since you probably use another program you didn't notice, but it made navigating them in the windows default version a pain. No idea if you can make them more view-able in the future.

EDIT: messy in the sense that it lacked enters in-between all the brackets, so you had to scroll the text left-to-right to find all the brackets. I feel like I'm missing some vocabulary to explain myself properly, so hopefully you understand my meaning.

Thank you kindly for the feedback. I'm not getting rid of the racial graphics: I specifically meant the dwarven graphics inside the alternates folder.

The end-of-line "issue" is just the difference between Windows and Linux. You can use Notepad++, but enough people have complained about it that I'll switch the files over to using Windows line breaks for the next release.

I definitely like the 20x20 tilesets. A vast improvement over 10x10.

However, I'm having a problem with the racial graphics. Dwarves, elves, and kobolds show up with a black picture on a black background, instead of their proper colors.

Do you know why this is? Have I done something wrong in the installation? I'm using your tileset with the "Mishka" color set by Vherid, but it happens with your colors, too.

Also, I can confirm that the .init files are messed up, with no line breaks. It's very annoying to read. A fix would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly for the feedback. I have no idea why that is happening, and it's very frustrating. I'll see if I can figure out what's going on: it might be something I misconfigured (but I didn't change the configuration since the last release), or a problem with GIMP (but I didn't update GIMP since the last release).

As mentioned, the init files are just the EOL difference between Windows and Linux. Apparently the Notepad maintainer at Windows is too much of an ass to consider making interoperability between Windows and Linux easier. I give in: the next release (soon, hopefully) will fix your issue and will have DOS line endings.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:02:21 pm by Taffer »

Vox Imperatoris

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 08, 2017, 04:53:01 pm »

Thanks!

I guess I'll use a "dwarf letter" set for now!

Also, on alternate racial graphics: I kind of like the bearded dwarves. I've just been using the default, but I wouldn't object if one of those were made default.

Actually, it would be nice if they had pointy beards, like the 800x600 vanilla set.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 08, 2017, 05:32:11 pm »

Taffer's Graveyard:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:27:17 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 08, 2017, 05:51:22 pm »

Fixed the racial graphics issue (they were saved as indexed color), reorganized files, and pruned what's in the graveyard above. The only art in the graveyard that I actually dislike is the 20x Blackletter variants. It was rough finding time to do this big update over the past month though, and apart from Vherid's set I have no evidence of use for any of the above work.

Apologies, Vherid! I almost kept your variant, but I'll probably opt to update yours separately and split it into the release posts. I already did that for this version: the version of vherid_moscow in the graveyard is better than the version in the 4.5 release.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:42:31 pm by Taffer »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50