Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 460058 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets
« Reply #540 on: October 10, 2017, 09:27:38 am »

Apparently, the Neat URL Firefox addon completely breaks Bay12. So that's why I couldn't post anything.

Hey, just passing by, as I do every once in a while. Your tileset is really the best; let me tell you that every time I enter one of my DF periods, the first thing I do is installing Taffer's tileset :)
And your diagonal walls from this summer are really good.

Thank you kindly! It's nice to get some feedback on the diagonal walls. People don't seem to update my tilesets in between DF versions, so I wasn't sure how many people are even using my new version.

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 10, 2017, 01:45:22 pm »

Here are two screenshots of a new fortress (level 0 & 1). It's a 1x1 embark. There is not much to see yet :

I use the vanilla colours. I prefer Taffer of Dawnbringer colours, but I do not want to forget the real color in order to be able to quickly identifying things on screenshots taken by others (at least that's the idea).

The pool of blood near the bridge is due to a weregoat having killed three fisherdwarves.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:49:32 pm by 0rion »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 16, 2017, 02:26:50 pm »

Here are two screenshots of a new fortress (level 0 & 1).

Thank you kindly for the screenshots, 0rion! I always enjoy seeing them. Damn those weregoats!

I haven't tried an entrance like that before, I should.

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 17, 2017, 12:30:23 pm »

I haven't tried an entrance like that before, I should.

It's not very secure because if unfortunately an invader gets past this bridge, it gets to the central stairway almost immediately. Because the embark is small, the risk is even greater for that to happen. But well, I wanted a single tower emerging from the tress for this fortress so I took that risk.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 20, 2017, 08:19:37 pm »

It's nice to get some feedback on the diagonal walls.

The redone diagonal walls (hollow version) recently pushed me over the line to give your set a try - that's how much I like them.  :)  Will give some more feedback after playing for a while (but don't hold your breath...).

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 24, 2017, 12:46:55 pm »

I'm aware of the update and will get things updated this evening. Revised won't fare as well.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 24, 2017, 07:46:43 pm »

Updated for Dwarf Fortress version 0.44.02. This includes my improved keybindings.

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 25, 2017, 10:02:31 am »

Love your set Taffer, been using it for years.

One customization I'd like to make is to make the floor symbol (≈) for soils (and sand) something less eye-catching. When you're building forts in soils it is quite a pain to constantly look at. Is there an easy way to customize this?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 25, 2017, 04:21:20 pm »

Thank you kindly!

One customization I'd like to make is to make the floor symbol (≈) for soils (and sand) something less eye-catching. When you're building forts in soils it is quite a pain to constantly look at. Is there an easy way to customize this?
What do you mean? Can you tell me what you think of this post of mine? I already put a lot of thought into the ≈ tile, and I'm not certain I could improve what I have. The tile I ended up going with was the least eye-catching of the three depicted there.

There's also these changes, if you think they'd help.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:07:58 pm by Taffer »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 30, 2017, 04:30:38 am »

Spoiler: It this Taffer? (click to show/hide)

Dambros666 was asking what the tileset used in that screenshot. It looks a bit like the 4chan smooth edition of Taffer 20x20. I'm not sure about the color palette.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 30, 2017, 08:15:16 am »

Spoiler: It this Taffer? (click to show/hide)

Dambros666 was asking what the tileset used in that screenshot. It looks a bit like the 4chan smooth edition of Taffer 20x20. I'm not sure about the color palette.

Yes, it's an older version of a 20x20 set, one of the scaler doubled versions that had so many stray pixels I gave up on fixing them and started from scratch. There were scaler doubled versions of all of the serif and sans serif, the "4chan" version was just the one that 4channers were sharing long after I gave up on the scaler variants. None of my tileset had custom pillars then.

Color set looks like Vherid Warm, but that's just a guess.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 08:18:22 am by Taffer »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 30, 2017, 01:57:32 pm »

Does not seem to be mine unless it's some edit/variation. None of the colors match up with bone or warm.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 30, 2017, 05:55:09 pm »

Huge fan of your work Taffer, was curious if you'd thought about doing engraved (obscured) walls in the style that (I think) Phoebus/Ironhand does it, with squiggles inside the hollow walls? Makes for a cleaning viewing experience than the standard blocky white situation. Otherwise no complaints from me, your sets are the only way I've played for years.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 30, 2017, 09:15:58 pm »

Huge fan of your work Taffer…

Thank you kindly! It brings a smile to my face, knowing I haven't toiled and obsessed in vain. I'll be fixing up my work more after I'm done with my Revised update, although when that will be done I won't speculate.

…was curious if you'd thought about doing engraved (obscured) walls in the style that (I think) Phoebus/Ironhand does it, with squiggles inside the hollow walls? Makes for a cleaning viewing experience than the standard blocky white situation. Otherwise no complaints from me, your sets are the only way I've played for years.

…are you a wizard? Nobody's ever before asked that to my recollection, and now's the first time I'm making one that I feel good enough about to finish. I'll preview my next tileset after such a nice message. This is still very early stages and I can be very obsessive about tilesets, so take this with a big pinch of salt. I dislike previewing my random experiments and I've barely started polishing this one. I'm damn proud so far, though (perhaps not of the font itself, but you'll see).

I'm making an arabic inspired tileset. I felt inspired after watching a video about the Alhambra. One of the best parts of an arabic inspired tileset is that I can include random little dots everywhere and have it be a theme of the tileset, bringing things much closer to a "graphical" tileset without sacrificing ASCII purity. Of course readability will suffer, but having little dots around the punctuation marks (for example) will (ideally) make sense in context of the font.

The patterned walls and added noise to the punctuation really fills in the walls and the floors, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how great I think the ground looks.

Showing off the fortifications, mostly: probably the best fortifications of any of my new diagonal tilesets.

Wouldn't be an arabic inspired tileset without an attempt at nice geometric patterns. This is probably my first tileset that makes me want to build huge, solid chunks of wall. Also an opportunity to remind everyone of how well the new diagonal walls look (for all of my sets).

This one's mostly included because of the # grates: IMO it looks great in this shot. This is probably one of the weakest elements in my current tilesets, so it's one of the tiles I'll be fixing in all my tilesets after the Revised update.

And finally, the biggest reason why this won't be done anytime soon. While serviceable and (IMO) vaguely arabic, it hardly looks like calligraphy. Heavy works need to be done and I'm not sure how to proceed here. Make letters ornate and don't worry about making it look too much like calligraphy? Make it look like calligraphy yet still somehow be readable? Who knows. Honestly, the rest of my tileset had an existing bitmap font as their basis (and I drew the missing letters from the set), but I haven't found a single arabic inspired bitmap tileset anywhere. I looked. Hell, I didn't even find much arabic bitmap fonts, let alone the fancy arabic inspired look I'm going for.

Hope that interests you? It'll only come as a diagonal wall set and there's no way in hell I'm redrawing it in 20x20, so people will have to settle for a blocky doubled version of the 10x10 tileset.

EDIT: I've improved on the font.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:00:21 am by Taffer »

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 30, 2017, 09:46:57 pm »

Holy moly that's incredible, man. I cannot wait to use it as soon as there's a release. No qualms about only releasing a 10x10 diag set, that's what I (and I would assume a large portion of users) prefer anyway. Exciting to see that I hoped correctly, you're on a hot trail here. Personally, I would happily put up with some slight typeface noise if it meant getting tiles that look that slick. But I completely understand the obsessive nature of designing these sets, and you are by no means under any pressure.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 09:50:34 pm by Iliithid »
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 50