Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 460593 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets for v0.44.03
« Reply #555 on: December 30, 2017, 11:05:34 pm »

Interesting

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets
« Reply #556 on: December 30, 2017, 11:10:12 pm »

Those walls look great!
Are those smooth or engraved walls in the screenshots?
Anyway, can't wait for the 20x20 version :P

I was trying to figure out tile magic engraved walls, but seem to have gotten it backwards.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 30, 2017, 11:24:16 pm »

Are those smooth or engraved walls in the screenshots?

Smooth walls. Just the object testing arena. Engraved walls start unobscured by default so you can actually see what's been engraved, just as Armok intended.

Anyway, can't wait for the 20x20 version :P

Most definitely do not want to make it. Honestly, if I had my way I'd stop supporting the graphics set and switch entirely to dwarf letters, stop supporting 20x20 sets or just double them crudely, and stop supporting the "straight" wall variants for all sets. But then nobody would download my tilesets anymore, which is no fun. The whole point of art is to be enjoyed.

I was trying to figure out tile magic engraved walls, but seem to have gotten it backwards.

Too much of a purist to use tile magic: I tried tile magic in 2012 or 2013 to save the barrel graphic, before I started becoming an "ASCII purist". It doesn't work well with color schemes that have non-pure-black backgrounds. I suppose it works reasonably better now that most of my color schemes have almost-black blacks, but there's still a color difference there in your image (#020202 for blackness around walls, #070707 for blackness everywhere else) and that gets more noticeable with Tocky's colors or any of Vherid's colors.

I'm still curious to see what you come up with, though!

EDIT: seriously though, nice job with the quick doubled version. I'd love it if you looked over the 20x20 sets and improved them. They're still far from perfect, IMO.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 11:32:55 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 31, 2017, 12:59:37 am »

I felt so embarrassed about my earlier font showing that I just whipped this up. Still needs work, but much better. Perhaps this will be finished sooner than I'd expected.

(For the rest of the preview, see this post).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:05:23 am by Taffer »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 31, 2017, 02:33:49 am »

I felt so embarrassed about my earlier font showing that I just whipped this up. Still needs work, but much better. Perhaps this will be finished sooner than I'd expected.

(For the rest of the preview, see this post).

That's better. It looks a lot more foreign now. Doesn't look a bit English at first glance. :P

You have a Moscow font and used to have a Berlin. Might be nice to keep to the theme and name it after some Arab city.

Most definitely do not want to make it. Honestly, if I had my way I'd stop supporting the graphics set and switch entirely to dwarf letters, stop supporting 20x20 sets or just double them crudely, and stop supporting the "straight" wall variants for all sets. But then nobody would download my tilesets anymore, which is no fun. The whole point of art is to be enjoyed.

Diagonal walls are a little confusing to use. (I have trouble digging with straight walls as it is.) Diagonal walls look really nice with a design that complements them, though. I would guess a lot of people don't want to take the effort to learn to a design for them.

Too much of a purist to use tile magic: I tried tile magic in 2012 or 2013 to save the barrel graphic, before I started becoming an "ASCII purist". It doesn't work well with color schemes that have non-pure-black backgrounds. I suppose it works reasonably better now that most of my color schemes have almost-black blacks, but there's still a color difference there in your image (#020202 for blackness around walls, #070707 for blackness everywhere else) and that gets more noticeable with Tocky's colors or any of Vherid's colors.

I'm still curious to see what you come up with, though!

I adjusted the color until it matched, but it probably won't look right with any other wall material.

The colors probably still need some work.
Spoiler: engraved tilesheet (click to show/hide)

EDIT: seriously though, nice job with the quick doubled version. I'd love it if you looked over the 20x20 sets and improved them. They're still far from perfect, IMO.

I didn't edit a full tilesheet; I just edited the ones in your screenshot and copy-pasted them everywhere. And I ignored all the floor tiles since they looked okay already. It was easy to make stuff lineup when I could see them next to tiles that they normally appear next to.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 31, 2017, 08:09:16 am »

[N]ow's the first time I'm making [engraving graphics] that I feel good enough about to finish.
I don't think I'll ever reach that point. Yours are really interesting though. And what you're doing with the font is super interesting.
If you watched a video about Alhambra, you really should check out MC Escher's work inspired by it (and possibly tesselation in general).
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #561 on: December 31, 2017, 08:19:18 am »

Just wanted to say that these screenshots look amazing. So much intricate detail, yet still ascii.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 31, 2017, 12:49:29 pm »

So this is probably the last I'll post about this tileset until it's ready, but I'm quite pleased that people like the look of it. Just an illustration of why I generally dislike previewing tilesets.

Tough decisions, possibly big changes.

Thank you kindly! I like these changes. It'll help me clean up the 20x20 sets later on.

I don't think I'll ever reach that point. Yours are really interesting though. And what you're doing with the font is super interesting.
If you watched a video about Alhambra, you really should check out MC Escher's work inspired by it (and possibly tesselation in general).

Thank you kindly for the Escher recommendation! His work is interesting.

Just wanted to say that these screenshots look amazing. So much intricate detail, yet still ascii.

Thank you! Intricate is the goal!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:56:21 pm by Taffer »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #563 on: December 31, 2017, 12:53:02 pm »

HaterSkaters Duerer set has MC Escher-inspired stairs, in case you want to see an example for DF.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 31, 2017, 01:48:17 pm »

HaterSkaters Duerer set has MC Escher-inspired stairs, in case you want to see an example for DF.
I was hoping his tesselation work (especially the "regular divisions of planes") is of more interest than his perspective-/mindfuckery he did. IIRC the "divisions" were directly inspired by the alhambra tiles.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 31, 2017, 02:23:17 pm »

I like that the old arabic thin / single-width walls looked different from the double walls. Also it was a nice design that looked kind of like a drill bit.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 31, 2017, 03:27:40 pm »

Also what are these end pieces called?
Yes, Columns. Usually the tile for uppercase O, for reference.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 31, 2017, 05:33:20 pm »

All of this work has been powerfully good and I cannot wait to see what the finished product ends up being like. Until then I'll just dream that Moscow Hollow is this fancy.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 31, 2017, 05:49:26 pm »

Might as well note that the color scheme black shades will be lightened again. I miss the old colors. Sorry to everyone that prefers more contrast! I might try to compromise halfway, but no promises.

Diagonal walls are a little confusing to use. (I have trouble digging with straight walls as it is.) Diagonal walls look really nice with a design that complements them, though. I would guess a lot of people don't want to take the effort to learn to a design for them.

Sorry, I'd love to revisit this. Mind if I ask why you find diagonal walls confusing? Are they still confusing with the new version? (As in, current downloads of my set). The screenshots I've posted of the arabic tileset are all diagonal walls, and most of the rooms still look square to me. It also doesn't affect digging, only smoothed walls and existing sites.

Most diagonal walls—including my own until recently—make traditional designs look terrible, but I believe that I've fixed that. I don't think adventure mode buildings look bad, honestly.

I ask because I'd actually love to abandon the straight wall variants and I don't think it's that crazy an idea, now that the diagonal walls still have sane looking rooms.

All of this work has been powerfully good and I cannot wait to see what the finished product ends up being like. Until then I'll just dream that Moscow Hollow is this fancy.

The interest this generated has convinced me to turn Moscow into a more esoteric set, keeping serif and sans-serif sets as simple sets. It won't be ornate like the arabic one, but I'll take more chances with it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 05:52:26 pm by Taffer »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 31, 2017, 09:41:22 pm »

I haven't really given diagonal walls a fair chance in a while.

They look really futuristic, like a lunar base.
Spoiler: straight walls (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: old diagonal walls (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: rough-hewn walls (click to show/hide)

It was a little confusing designating the new bit to the west, but not any more confusing than with straight walls. I think I'd like to try diagonal walls out some more.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 50