Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 457767 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets for v0.44.03
« Reply #570 on: January 01, 2018, 06:10:04 am »

Edited the walls of scaler-doubled Taffer 20x (4chan smooth) to give them the newer diagonal "T-intersection" wall style and applied the "smooth" effect to the diagonal walls. (Only the curved "straight" walls had the effect before).

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: tilesheet (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 08, 2018, 02:15:08 pm »

Yeah, the 4chan set has a really nice "tucked in on a recliner playing df on one screen, mountain goats jamming on another" type of feel, but I can't seriously endorse anything but the dorfletters because they're still so damn clever.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 08, 2018, 03:37:03 pm »

I tried to make a scaler-style dorf letter dwarf.

Spoiler: diagonal (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: straight (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 08, 2018, 06:21:34 pm »

I'd say that's more than just tried, saved and such.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets for v0.44.04
« Reply #574 on: January 12, 2018, 12:55:54 am »

Thanks for the quick update.   :)  The first post still says 'download 5.0.3' even though it goes to 5.0.4

And a little feedback - I'm very much enjoying Sans 10px Hollow Diagonal, rounded out with CLA graphics.  ;)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets for v0.44.04
« Reply #575 on: January 15, 2018, 11:56:04 am »

i'm going to try and use this as a font in combination with meph2.1 as it looks awesome! :)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets for v0.44.05
« Reply #576 on: February 23, 2018, 10:44:52 am »

Ooh, hadn't seen the Russian font yet. Will give this one a go, thanks for making these!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 01, 2018, 10:07:18 pm »

I miss drawing tilesets. After taking so damn long to finish writing Dwarf Fortress descriptions—I'm so close to finishing, and then I can get back to tweaking and editing, which I much prefer—I don't intend to repeat the performance again. My free time is significantly shortened since I started drawing tilesets, and I clearly don't have much motivation to finish long term projects that I'm disinterested in. Of course Revised will continue, but I won't start any large scale projects or improvements if my heart isn't in it.

I hate the doubled, smoothed tilesets. I'll be shuffling them to the graveyard, and moving that onto my personal server (pew-pew-lasers.ca) to keep imgur from deleting them. Sorry. Knowing I have to update them is keeping me from drawing. I just hate playing and drawing in 20x20, even on the Retina screens I've tried.

Simple boxy doubled versions will be in their place, as that means I never have to draw them. The hammer is falling. Speak up if this bothers you or if you want me to support something after all (perhaps there's more "straight solid wall" fans than I expected).

I'm also hoping to whittle down on the number of tilesets. Only "dwarf graphic" and "dwarf letter" variants for the artistic sets like the upcoming arabic set (and soon the russian set, which will be made more interesting). I might take the blackletter variant out of the graveyard and polish it up for that category, knowing I don't have to make it work in 20x20. I'll probably keep only the diagonal solid wall and hollow straight walls for my two ASCII sets, in addition to the usual "dwarf letter" variants of both. Diagonal hollow looks a little silly, and the straight solid walls are IMO strictly inferior to the diagonal solid walls.

On the plus side, by my count, this will bring the total number of tilesets I need to maintain down to 10 from the current 48. (The boxy double versions would be done by a script). Less to maintain means more updates and possibly more art.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:38:51 pm by Taffer »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 02, 2018, 01:11:45 am »

I prefer hollow straight over solid straight, and I'd guess 90% of straight Taffer users would feel the same. I didn't think diagonal hollow looked silly. I haven't tried the solid diagonal in a long time, and can't compare at the moment.

I think it's kind of too bad losing the redrawn 20x20 versions of Serif and Sans-Serif. I'm guessing 20x20 users would prefer out-of-date 20x20 versions with smoothed edges over upscaled versions of the latest versions of the 10x10 originals. I think upscales are fine for the more artsy ones (i.e. Moscow, Blacletter, and the new one) since those would be crazy to redraw.

I'm excited for the arabic-style tileset. I like its walls.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 02, 2018, 03:13:06 pm »

Thank you kindly for the input! I double posted while editing, so the rest will follow below.

I think it's kind of too bad losing the redrawn 20x20 versions of Serif and Sans-Serif. I'm guessing 20x20 users would prefer out-of-date 20x20 versions with smoothed edges over upscaled versions of the latest versions of the 10x10 originals.

OK. After some thought, I'll support the ASCII sets at 20x20, but not the artistic sets.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 03:46:07 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 02, 2018, 03:23:16 pm »

I'm excited for the arabic-style tileset. I like its walls.

Soon, hopefully. It's mostly done, it just needs a few hours of polish at this point. I'm still holding out on finishing my big Revised update first. I have 9 descriptions left in creature_tropical_new and 20 or so in creature_subterranean, but then it's clear sailing. I have a lengthy todo list but I'm quick on the command line with grep and quick text replacements, so I don't expect most of it to take long. It honestly took me twice as long to write one description than it did to grammar check every description for gender mistakes with a few quick searches. Plus, most of the big ticket items on the todo list have been punted over to my next Revised release.

I'm still hoping to do lots of editing on them, but I'm much, much faster at editing than I have been at writing. I love reading Paulo Coelho and Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, and my translations of the The Little Prince and The Alchemist have an almost childlike quality to the prose that I keep wanting to mimic (poorly). Lots of mass simplifications of words in my GitLab history. I'm not always sure how far to go with it, but it's fun to think about. (Can easily replace feline with cat and it works in all cases, but apparently the same can't be done with canine to dog, because nobody likes to call wolves dogs for arbitrary reasons. Go figure).

Anyways. Rambling aside, this should all be happening much sooner than expected. Once I start drawing tilesets or editing Revised I quickly get engrossed in the task, but writing these formulaic descriptions has really worn me down, and I've been determined to finish that first. Thankfully I'm in the last stretch now.

I didn't think diagonal hollow looked silly.

Well it does look futuristic. I'm considering fattening the lines, which might help, but it might be best to let it be and keep the diagonal walls for the artistic and solid wall sets.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 03:54:00 pm by Taffer »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 02, 2018, 07:19:49 pm »

Well it does look futuristic.
Yeah, it reminds me of a the maps in the original Doom.

I'm considering fattening the lines, which might help, …
Yeah, I think the thin walls might give it a vector look, so thickening them might change that.

… but it might be best to let it be and keep the diagonal walls for the artistic and solid wall sets.
Yeah, that sounds good. One less wall option will help the indecisive.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 02, 2018, 08:08:47 pm »

Thank you kindly for the input! I double posted while editing, so the rest will follow below.

I think it's kind of too bad losing the redrawn 20x20 versions of Serif and Sans-Serif. I'm guessing 20x20 users would prefer out-of-date 20x20 versions with smoothed edges over upscaled versions of the latest versions of the 10x10 originals.

OK. After some thought, I'll support the ASCII sets at 20x20, but not the artistic sets.
Does that include the Dwarf Letters versions too?
I only ever play with your 20x20 Dwarf Letter Tilesets. Thank you for continuing to support 20x20.

What resolution do you play at by the way? I just can't read the text at 10x10, it's so small on my monitor. Even setting the resolution down a few notches. I guess there's something fundamental I'm not understanding about resolutions somewhere.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 02, 2018, 08:49:54 pm »

Does that include the Dwarf Letters versions too?
I only ever play with your 20x20 Dwarf Letter Tilesets. Thank you for continuing to support 20x20.

You're welcome. That includes the dwarf letters, yes. I prefer playing that way myself.

What resolution do you play at by the way? I just can't read the text at 10x10, it's so small on my monitor. Even setting the resolution down a few notches. I guess there's something fundamental I'm not understanding about resolutions somewhere.

1920x1080, currently on both a big wall-mounted TV and on a desktop. The TV is rough reading on default scaling settings in Windows, but at 175% I can play perfectly fine. That's what the scaling slider is there for. Not sure there's something fundamental to misunderstand here. My eyesight is normal. I don't know. I was reluctant to create the 20x20 sets at first because I thought it was so big nobody would use it, and I've been surprised by their popularity ever since.

It's not just resolution, it's also how physically big the screen is and how far it is from your eyes. I've played Dwarf Fortress on a 4K display already and still found 10x10 comfy. I just like seeing everything at once, and I like tiny bitmap fonts. I want a heaven's eye view of the action.

Mini side rant about new displays that I typed and almost deleted, then decided to keep because why not:

Sometimes I see talk that 10x10 will be outdated because monitor resolutions will keep getting higher and higher, but new 4K monitors already display at a resolution high enough that you literally wouldn't get any benefit from a higher resolution. It's why Apple displays are called "Retina" displays. There's already articles pointing out that the jump to 4K doesn't actually make a difference for some monitor setups, and that's only going to get worse if there's another big resolution jump. It also breaks everyone's icons, interfaces, and game graphics, and vector icons are a lousy solution.

This whole post makes me excited to buy a 4K screen because, if my math is correct, I could fit an entire 4x4 embark in one 1920x1920 window using a 10x10 tileset.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 09:44:53 pm by Taffer »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 02, 2018, 10:29:23 pm »

I play on a laptop. 1920x1080.
Windows scaler at 125% seems to work with everything except DF. Everything gets cut off the screen until I switch it to 100%. That's why I said I must be misunderstanding something. Some setting which makes DF work with the scaler.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 50