Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 457764 times)

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets v5.2.0 for v0.44.10
« Reply #615 on: June 02, 2018, 11:06:43 am »

Damn do I wish this was 12x12. I love the look, but 10x10 is just too tiny, while 20x20 is way too large.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 02, 2018, 11:13:58 am »

I can recommend the 16x16 Wanderlust set for something not too different from Taffer.

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 02, 2018, 11:34:51 am »

I can recommend the 16x16 Wanderlust set for something not too different from Taffer.
16x16 is a bit too large for my tastes, too. 12x12 feels like the sweet spot, but there seems to be a sore lack of nice tiles at that resolution.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets v5.2.1 for v0.44.11 (9x9 preview on the last page)
« Reply #618 on: June 27, 2018, 09:52:44 pm »

Every now and then some poor, misguided soul will complain that square tilesets are hard to read, usually deluding themselves into thinking that rectangular tilesets are somehow superior. (I'm actually just trying to be funny though, no flaming intended!)

Anyway, IMO the problem usually isn't that the tileset is square, the problem is that the font used is often too small for the tile size it's used in. The kerning is often off. If your square tileset uses a properly sized font, the readability problems mostly go away. I've realized for a long time now that my fonts are too small for 10x10, which affects readability. I didn't mind as much before because the extra black space reminded me of Ultima V (most of my childhood gaming), but it's really been wearing on me now that I obsessively read over and improve creature descriptons for Revised.

So farewell, 10x10 (and 20x20, by extension). So 8x8 is probably too small, so I'm giving 9x9 a shot. Consider this a preview. I was planning on doing everything in one fell swoop and surprising people, but between Revised taking up a lot of my attention and various IRL problems that complicate my ability to work on DF I thought I'd post something now. This also lets me collect feedback. Tasty feedback.

9x9 Taffer? What?

And blocky 18x18, of course.

Old and busted (and hard to read).

New hotness (and much nicer to read).

Maybe the walls are too fancy?

I took the opportunity to make water/snow/sand less noticable while I was at it. This is much better after all, and helps to alleviate the worst part about diagonal walls (empty black corners in snowy/sandy areas).

Enjoy! I don't have a release date. I'm not even completely sure I want 9x9 and not 8x8. 8x8 is even more pleasant to read, but then niceties such as accented characters and the fancier tiles start suffering. I'll also be wanting to fix up Damascus's readability problems while I'm working on this, and I haven't even started any of the fonts but this one. What can't be adapted will be dropped, but I expect all of the fonts to survive (even Damascus). I also don't know yet what this does to the creature graphics. I'll probably need to redraw them all. I'm seriously tempted to just stick to the "dwarves as letters", because I'm getting older and crankier and I haven't actually used my creature graphics for years (seriously).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:31:08 pm by Taffer »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 27, 2018, 10:11:16 pm »

I haven't used your creature graphics in years either (two modded races added who just don't fit in with the graphical races, not to mention animal people).

And dwarves as smiley faces roaming the multi-racial halls of other letters just doesn't work for me any more. D for Dorf all the way.

18x18? Hmm. Will keep your 20x20 on hand just in case.
Keep up the good work. Fantastic set and colour schemes.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:17:10 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 27, 2018, 10:30:35 pm »

I haven't used your creature graphics in years either (two modded races added who just don't fit in with the graphical races, not to mention animal people).

And dwarves as smiley faces roaming the multi-racial halls of other letters just doesn't work for me any more. D for Dorf all the way.

18x18? Hmm. Will keep your 20x20 on hand just in case.
Keep up the good work. Fantastic set and colour schemes.

Thanks for the vote of confidence and the feedback! Glad to hear my fondness for letter dwarves is spreading.

I just changed my mind about the walls at the last moment as well.

"Old" 9x9 preview, preserved for archiving's sake. The little circles in the walls became squares in the newer one, which matches the sharp diagonal corners better.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:35:51 pm by Taffer »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 28, 2018, 06:51:26 am »

9x9? That's my favorite size! Thanks, Taffer! :D
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Koumakan

• Bay Watcher
  • Amanojaku
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 28, 2018, 07:32:39 pm »

I'm getting excited

DWARFFRAWD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 02, 2018, 09:48:35 am »

how i change civ color?

i want to change human unit's color to red. so i changed ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT to ADD_COLOR:RED

but color not changed. what's wrong??

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 02, 2018, 10:38:03 am »

how i change civ color?

i want to change human unit's color to red. so i changed ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT to ADD_COLOR:RED

but color not changed. what's wrong??

I don't know. I don't worry much about the graphics RAWs. The files included do what I need them to do, and I go through them every major release to make sure that everything looks shipshape. Otherwise, I don't know much about them. I'm not even sure I'll continue to offer creature graphics (see my post above).

You're probably better off asking in the modding questions thread.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:44:14 am by Taffer »

DWARFFRAWD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 03, 2018, 01:17:09 pm »

Change the question.

How modify graphic file?

I want to change elf's color to red. so it is need to modify "taffer_elves.png" .

Is it need some programs? how can i load and set color for that file?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 09, 2018, 09:58:49 pm »

Change the question.

How modify graphic file?

I want to change elf's color to red. so it is need to modify "taffer_elves.png" .

Is it need some programs? how can i load and set color for that file?

I had a bit of time to look into this. Sorry for the delay! My guess is that you'll have to color taffer_elves.png red yourself in a paint program and change ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT to AS_IS:DEFAULT. The downside to this approach is that all of your elves will end up red, and they won't be colored by profession. The ADD_COLOR tag simply doesn't do what you want it to.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 09, 2018, 10:57:12 pm »

Progress! The walls have changed again, but that's not necessarily final. I just wanted to show off some variety. These walls are a little less fancy, a little more hollow, and a little more natural looking.

Feedback and criticism welcome! In addition to the creature graphics, solid walls are also on the chopping block. Maybe even traditional, straight walls. The new walls just look good. I don't really see the advantage of traditional walls over my new diagonal walls.

9x9 serif, a few pixels later.

18x18 serif version, a few pixels later.

New 9x9 sans-serif, fresh off the image editor. Dat Hoshi font. I used to prefer the serif 10x10 to the sans-serif 10x10: this one turned out so well that I like the sans-serif better now.

18x18 sans-serif.

That leaves Moscow (easy, probably) and Damascus (painful, probably). Still not certain whether the creature graphics will survive.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:15:37 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets v5.2.1 for v0.44.12 (9x9 previews on the last page)
« Reply #628 on: July 11, 2018, 09:07:46 pm »

Another go at the new serif tileset. I've done a lot of font redrawing, so it's even more readable.

I also took the time to finish the graphics sets.
dwarves.
elves.
goblins.
humans.
kobolds.

Might as well post the newest version of the sans-serif while I'm at it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:50:38 pm by Taffer »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Taffer's Tilesets v5.2.1 for v0.44.12 (9x9 previews on the last page)
« Reply #629 on: July 15, 2018, 03:34:22 pm »

I can't imagine how hard you are staring at those glyphs when deciding what to cut out or add. Suddenly I don't feel that bad with 1024 pixels per sprite... :D

Edit: Would you consider working on non-square text sets? I found that a format like this is really helpful to give players the maximum amount of ingame-tiles, while keeping the menu small:

The ingame menu is 32x tiles wide, so if you make a 9x18 text font, to go along a 18x18 ingame tileset, you get 16 "free" map tiles, because the menu is suddenly 288 pixels thinner. Just as an idea, in case you run out of things to do. ;)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:44:42 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50