Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 457846 times)

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets v6.1.0 for v0.44.12 (9x9 and 18x18) Everything redrawn!
« Reply #645 on: November 11, 2018, 04:27:28 pm »

Completely out of left field here, but the tundra/glacier biomes look -incredible- in Damascus, so thank you for that tiny, tiny detail.
The new 18x18 looks great, and including the dwarves-as-letters in the tilesets itself now and subverting graphics was a good move.

Kudos!
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 11, 2018, 08:53:16 pm »

Completely out of left field here, but the tundra/glacier biomes look -incredible- in Damascus, so thank you for that tiny, tiny detail.
The new 18x18 looks great, and including the dwarves-as-letters in the tilesets itself now and subverting graphics was a good move.

Kudos!

Thank you kindly! Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Mallard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 15, 2018, 09:05:18 am »

I agree with 5.2.1 as the "definitive 10x10". If there was something about the older sets I liked, I'd have added it.

There was a hand-drawn 20x20 set: the release before they I removed them might be worth looking at. My large gand drawn sets never looked right. I was smoothing the blocky edges, but if I was drawing at 20x20 to begin with the whole tileset would look different. 10x10 was already de facto the definitive version, so I made it official.

A long time ago I was using a pixel-art shader than cleaning it up by hand, but that was taking too long. Some people on 4chan like these versions.

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check it out!

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 01, 2018, 10:57:05 pm »

Version v6.1.0 released!

Played a bit with the updated 'Heretical' 18x18 Damascus and I'm finding words much easier to read now, that's awesome! Nice work. :o

edit: Really loving polished/updated Damascus here. It is indeed much easier to read and while playing the game with it, makes me feel like playing something genuinely good looking from DOS-era.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 05:25:48 am by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 02, 2018, 11:21:46 am »

While I'm posting, I may as well warn that 'Hyrule City' will be saying goodbye next release (whenever that happens). It's a failed experiment: it's hard to read and doesn't really offer anything that makes it worth maintaining.

I'd love to hear what people think of the serif tileset, because I'm mostly using Damascus nowadays. I'm not sure there's much I can do to fix the serif tileset without making its kerning look off (spaces between letters). I was tempted to get rid of the serif tileset as well, but I decided against it.

Played a bit with the updated 'Heretical' 18x18 Damascus and I'm finding words much easier to read now, that's awesome! Nice work. :o

edit: Really loving polished/updated Damascus here. It is indeed much easier to read and while playing the game with it, makes me feel like playing something genuinely good looking from DOS-era.

Thank you kindly! When the next update is release, I'm hoping to do another pass over Damascus: I don't know how much more readable I can make it, though. The dots on the punctuation are the most annoying thing, and I can't clean that up without making the ground look significantly more boring.

Mallard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 02, 2018, 03:50:16 pm »

I'd love to hear what people think of the serif tileset, because I'm mostly using Damascus nowadays. I'm not sure there's much I can do to fix the serif tileset without making its kerning look off (spaces between letters). I was tempted to get rid of the serif tileset as well, but I decided against it.

I've used both the serif and sans-serif from your orthodox set. The sans is more readable, but I prefer the serif, so I'm glad you've decided to keep it. If there's anything that feels "off" to me in the serif set, it would be the "right-hanging" serif found in some the upper-case letters (like M and W, for example). Something about it makes my eye "hang" on those letters when reading.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 02, 2018, 05:50:06 pm »

I've used both the serif and sans-serif from your orthodox set. The sans is more readable, but I prefer the serif, so I'm glad you've decided to keep it. If there's anything that feels "off" to me in the serif set, it would be the "right-hanging" serif found in some the upper-case letters (like M and W, for example). Something about it makes my eye "hang" on those letters when reading.

Thank you kindly for the specific feedback. I'll remove the right-hanging serifs in the next version. Cheers!

Mallard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 04, 2018, 01:04:28 am »

Thank you kindly for the specific feedback. I'll remove the right-hanging serifs in the next version. Cheers!

You're welcome, and thanks for considering my feedback!

As I was looking at this again, though, I realized that the right-hanging serifs only seem to be a problem (for me) when they appear at the top of a letter, like W. I actually like them as they appear in letters like A, M, and N.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 05, 2019, 12:10:35 am »

I lost some work on the next version but I'm just starting over. The 'heretical' sets are being renamed artistic, and orthodox is being renamed traditional. The traditional moscow set is being killed. I'm at an impasse with the serif font: I'm seriously considering just killing it, but I just can't seem to pull the trigger. I already mentioned that I killed hyrule city. And the 'taffer' and 'pastel' (default) colour palettes now have a pure black background. This is all in addition to a good solid polish of the remaining tilesets.

Next version's preview (the new version has filled in mountains for now, very WIP):

In-game (mostly showing off the new walls):

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 01:02:46 am by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 05, 2019, 10:06:24 am »

Double-sized preview. The diamond wall version is the newer one.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 05, 2019, 02:59:25 pm »

Feedback wanted! Recoiling in horror? Think something looks good? Let me know (would you kindly)!

Another preview, showing off to nobody in particular. The glaciers/mining tiles might be a little too strange, I haven't decided.

These glaciers/mining tiles are a little more traditional. They tile beautifully IMO with the tundra tiles, but still might be too creative for most people.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 04:09:10 pm by Taffer »

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 10, 2019, 03:14:45 pm »

And the 'taffer' and 'pastel' (default) colour palettes now have a pure black background

I liked that the 'taffer' color palette's black isn't entirely black and also, with my new IPS monitor, pitch black dark can get on my nerves due to IPS glow (which I've tweaked down as much as I could, but still). Lighter blacks minimize reading discomfort for me along with keeping me from feeling depressed during gameplay.

Feedback wanted! Recoiling in horror? Think something looks good? Let me know (would you kindly)![/b]

I've gotten so used to 'Heretical'/'Artistic' 'Damascus' tileset nowadays that I can't quite tell which is better or worse, I feel confused is all. All I can say is that the tiny blocky tundra/snowy bits feel odd. I can imagine a snowing map and all I can see is not snow but ice cubes that are supposed to be snow.. it's, in a word; confusing.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 11, 2019, 02:27:19 pm »

I pulled the trigger and killed off the serif tileset. I'm sorry. I worked hard to polish the sans-serif 9x9 and it's shaped up into something quite legible (for its size) and simple. I also went back to Tocky and my earlier tilesets to try to bring back some of the more artistic flourishes that were unnecessarily killed off. I just can't get a serif version to a comparable level of polish. There's too many tradeoffs. I went back to the 10x10 serif and I don't like that one anymore either. I changed to 9x9 for readability to begin with and this feels like a natural consequence: serifs just don't make much sense IMO on a pixel font of this tiny size. If this proves controversial, I can resurrect it. On the plus side, the current sans-serif 9x9 is much, much easier to read (in my opinion) than the old 10x10 serif ever was.

Sans-serif is the legible, simple tileset. Arabic-inspired is for tiny, artistic detail. Cyrillic-inspired feels like a compromise between the two (and is a nice nod to Vherid's work). Serif just doesn't have much reason to exist in comparison.

With this I'll just be supporting 3 artistic fonts and 1 traditional font, with double-sized versions of each.

I liked that the 'taffer' color palette's black isn't entirely black and also, with my new IPS monitor, pitch black dark can get on my nerves due to IPS glow (which I've tweaked down as much as I could, but still). Lighter blacks minimize reading discomfort for me along with keeping me from feeling depressed during gameplay.

I restored the black colors to where they were.

I've gotten so used to 'Heretical'/'Artistic' 'Damascus' tileset nowadays that I can't quite tell which is better or worse, I feel confused is all. All I can say is that the tiny blocky tundra/snowy bits feel odd. I can imagine a snowing map and all I can see is not snow but ice cubes that are supposed to be snow.. it's, in a word; confusing.

I changed those tiles back, at least for now. I might compromise and add the new glacier tiles to the artistic sets and keep the traditional look for the traditional tileset, but that doesn't help in your case. I haven't really decided yet. Thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:24:48 am by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets v6.2.0 for v0.44.12 (9x9 and 18x18) Everything redrawn!
« Reply #658 on: January 21, 2019, 09:38:02 pm »

v6.2.1 has been released! Celebrate! Most of the changes have been detailed above. A lot of work has been done (on the sans-serif and arabic-inspired sets in particular), and a few things have been cleaned up. I said goodbye to the serif tileset for reasons explained above. The previews on the first page have been updated if you want to see screenshots.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:52:51 pm by Taffer »

Mallard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets v6.2.1 for v0.44.12 (9x9 and 18x18) Everything redrawn!
« Reply #659 on: January 23, 2019, 12:04:45 am »

I'm a fan of how you've simplified the options. They look great!
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50