Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting rid of mud/dirt and trampled mud  (Read 724 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting rid of mud/dirt and trampled mud
« on: July 20, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

The initial flood upon breaching the cave river was so powerful it washed straight out the mountain, and had the nasty side effect of making my pretty floors muddy.

Big deal, I thought, until I noticed the spots of trampled mud and mud/dirt block trade carts!

I "solved" it temporarily by putting the trade depot outside, but I'd really like to get rid of the damn mud. I tried smoothing the floor again, I tried building a road over it - no such luck.

Can I get rid of it? And how?

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
Re: Getting rid of mud/dirt and trampled mud
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »

Hey mickel,

Worst case, you can use the mud utility, a memory editor tool that unmuddies mud tiles.

Regards,
- Markavian

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 03:09:00 pm »

Cover 'em with a one-tile-bridge.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 09:09:00 am »

The mud utility worked great, thanks for the tip. One of the mud patches had become "trampled dirt" and wouldn't be de-muddied, so I used the granite patch on it, turning it into some sort of brown rock, which turned into mud when I mined it.

Using the granite patch on ore veins is fun, too. You get happy colours in your fortress. Whee!

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 01:47:00 pm »

I use mud and granite as well, when I am feeling impatient. Normally, a dirt tile that cannot be smoothed, can eventually grow a plant on that tile. Pick the plant, and it leaves bare rock. That's the non-cheating way, but it can take years for the random plant to spawn, and you have to be constantly re-checking little muddy tiles. It's kinda a neat challenge though, see if you can get it all smooth.

Normally, like I said, I use mud/granite. And yeah, use granite on a tile you can't convert, mine it, then you can unmud it.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 06:33:00 pm »

mickel, don't I know! Have a look at my fortress, the Dwarf Town of Inkflew: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/viewmap.php?view_poiid=674

Inkflew 1062 - Coloured Walls