Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparring by weapon type  (Read 589 times)

Stephen Ginson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sparring by weapon type
« on: May 22, 2008, 01:35:00 pm »

Just recently had my first sparring accident
I did not get to see it but I imagine it was brutal.
Gave my first ever Ultra Mighty Elite Wrestler a nice new iron war hammer and left him alone for a bit.

2 minutes later I have dead unarmed Elite wrestler with his skull caved in.
(my 2nd elite ever...guess we know why he's number 2)

My question is, these guys were in a large off duty squad I had set up.
Will all squad members spar with each other regardless of rank and weapon?(excluding crossbow)
Or will swordsmen only spar with swordsmen, elites with elites etc?

Just looking for clarification on this issue as I prefer not to have my hulking brutes smashing the limbs of recruits into paste.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring by weapon type
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 01:48:00 pm »

Everyone spars with everyone else, regardless of equipment, squad, or skill level. The chance of accidentally making a real attack with a weapon depends on the dwarf's skill with that weapon. This is why you typically want to get your dwarves as highly-skilled in shield use and wrestling as you can, so that they can block and dodge the real attacks.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 03:44:00 am »

I also recommend making plate armour for those dwarves who are training, especially with high quality weapons. Plate, a helmet, and gauntlets are good idea's all round, of any quality. These will minamize injuries that will completely disable your dwarves (1 arm, head wound, pierced lung, etc) I try to do this at recruitment, simply because if you have an elite wrestler (which the majority of my dwarves are near) clad in *iron plate armour* with an *iron large shield* then he isnt going to be hit by much. Nothing is more fearsome than a person who can dodge 70% of your attacks, and resist 80% of the attacks that get through. A good idea is to train only with copper, silver, or wooden weapons. These weapons only do 50% (55%? I forget) damage so theyre awesome for training, especially with the above. Of course, you need a stockpile of high quality steel or iron weapons to offset the training ones. When putting a prepared squad on duty, forbid the crappy weapons out of their hands, they'll drop it, and if you do this near the good weapon stockpile, they'll pick up those. Ya, thats my 2 cents.
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 04:11:00 am »

my tip would be: dont have sparring soldiers! even though sparring is the most effective way of training them i just hate that sparring can actually damage the brain/neck/spine of soldiers, and that it happens frequently!
I myself only keep marksdwarves and "Squires". For the squires i keep them on stone smoothing and pumping duty to build their stats quickly, then draft them and equip them with quality weapons/armor whenever a caravan appears.

We really need sparring weapons, padded thingies which cant damage the nervous system

een failing lately?

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

Sheesh, they're just dwarves.  If one of them gets a spinal injury, it's early retirement.  I mean take the basic precautions that have already been mentioned: train wrestling/armor/shield before weapons, always use silver weapons for training, and keep your squads segregated, but a complete ban on melee training is a bit of an extreme precaution against the occasional bit of brain damage.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 11:01:00 pm »

yeah. use silver weapons. and if anyone gets hurt, just train them in some civilian thing.
-Toast-_