Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Director of movie about space mining corp wants to make space mining corp.  (Read 20640 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

No, ion engines use propellant.  Unlike a rocket the propellant does not need to contain chemical energy however you are still shooting stuff out the back end.  However a mass accelerator (such as a steam catapult, similar to those on aircraft carriers or an electromagnetic accelerator) uses no propellant.  This is why I keep repeating NO PROPELLANT.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, ion engines use propellant.  Unlike a rocket the propellant does not need to contain chemical energy however you are still shooting stuff out the back end.  However a mass accelerator (such as a steam catapult, similar to those on aircraft carriers or an electromagnetic accelerator) uses no propellant.  This is why I keep repeating NO PROPELLANT.
OK, my original post on this topic was;
The are two main options with mass drivers. Either you sacrifice the vast majority of your interesting mass and energy rich material to make a launch platform or you use a smaller fraction of mass as reaction mass during transit, with the driver acting as the engine.

In the latter case things reduce the ion engine problem.

In the former case you are extremely limited in the amount of mass you can send back. I'd actually go with this option if a belt mining operation were established, simply because I'm not interested in sending much back to earth. But for those who want a significant return on a commercial investment you aren't talking about a good option.

And frankly it doesn't change the energetics of the problem at all.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Send half the mass on a "direct" route.  Send half the mass on a "reverse" route.  Both get to earth, one just gets there a lot faster.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

I hope they'll be hiring lots of impressionable college kids for this. I'm all for venturing into space to catch asteroids.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home

Could we use an orbiting solar farm (orbiting earth), and have it transfer energy via laser to super efficient solar panels on the mining ships? It could reduce the need for fuel.

A laser that keeps focus for long distances isn't very feasible now, but maybe in the future?
twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A laser that keeps focus for long distances isn't very feasible now, but maybe in the future?
Lasers have fairly fundamental properties that determine their divergence. You can't get around that, but you can put a lens in front of them. The difficulty would be in getting a laser/lens setup that would work with the energies and distances involved. I'd look at projects like LISA where lasers are supposed to maintain focus over significant spacial distances, although at lower power.

Or just dig into laser propulsion in general. I'd always start with the sceptical sources so you can find the problems that need to be addressed.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Can't seem to view the stream, and I had to ditch out of there before I began raging at all the stupid comments in the UStream chat feed. At this point, I'd volunteer to work in space for them just to get the f--k away from people in general.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

that was great! thanks for posting the livestream.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I've been boning up on various propulsion methods over the last few days since this news broke, and I have to say I'm intrigued with the VASIMR design, even though it definitely has its vociferous critics.

Also fascinated with some work being done on the use of a thin "shield" of magnetized plasma to act as a portable magnetosphere and deflect solar radiation. The more sci-fi becomes sci-fact, the happier I get.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

China's going to shoot him down, if the Austraila doesn't. Well, I may be wrong- I'm thinking more about rare earth minerals, not platinum group metals, I'm not sure who mines them on earth.

If they go for the Earth Trojans, they won't even need to ship them very expensively to get them here... though those are probably less wealthy than the Asteroid Belt rocks.

They're probably going to use ion engines. I can't wait for Magentoplasma to get developed, then we'd seriously be driving these things.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

In any case, this is the study they are basing the early stages on. Targeting a C-class near earth asteroid, approximately seven meters in diameter and with a total mass of around 500,000 kg. The goal is to bring it into lunar orbit. Estimated costs there are ~$2.6bn

3) Even so, how cost effective this is depends on the useful mass fraction. The same costs would put ~20 Heavy Falcon rockets into lunar orbit, worth 320,000kg of payload. You get an extra 180,000kg from the asteroid mission, but if it's more cost effective depends on just how useful that mass is.

That $2.6bn price tag is based on the Atlas V launch costs.  But your 320,000 kg payload is based on the Heavy Falcon launch costs which are projected to be lower.  This is rather crucial because the Heavy Falcon is projected to have lower launch costs at high orbits.  So this is not quite an apples to apples comparison.

Also this would probably involve some serious economies of scale.  Launch costs are ~128 million since this is designed to fit on a single Heavy Eagle.  I doubt that much of the remaining 2.5 billion are costs of your capture vehicle.  These costs are instead going to be thinks like asteroid location (the initial space telescope should identify about 5 targets a year), hardware and software development, etc.  A lot of that is going to be non-reoccurring.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]