Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Liaison, trade agreement, negotiations and capital question  (Read 5444 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Liaison, trade agreement, negotiations and capital question
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:25:37 am »

Liaison was coming every year, together with caravan, to make a trade agreement.

One year, a merchant horse was killed and merchants refused to trade and left the outpost. The liaison was hanging out in my fort for another six months, then left without conducting the meeting (my mayor was available, this was a lazy liaison case). The diplomat "left unhappy" and diplomacy got "stymied".

Next year the liaison came with caravan as usual, conducted meeting, but proposed only to make a barony. I declined, the guy left. Since then the meeting is repeated every year, with the same outcome.

Is there a way to make trade agreement now or I'm doomed to these unproductive meetings forever?  I want to be independent, because my king is a vampire, and I don't want that scum. Besides, I'm happy with minimal level of nobles.

Also, in v.31 I needed roads for establishing capitals (my listed requirements were 15k architecture, 5k roads, 5k offerings). Here, in v.34.07, I have only 10k in architecture and 7.5k in offerings listed as requirements. The wiki gives the previous requirements, but this is untrue in my case. Probably it was copied from the previous version. Are these requirements randomised somehow, or they've been simply changed?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Liaison, trade agreement, negotiations and capital question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:31:02 am »

being offered to be a barony is triggered at a certain number of dwarfs, I think, and does not mean the king is about to arrive.

And no, as long as you refuse to become a barony, you will not be able to request stuff for the caravan.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:34:02 am »

Roads are no longer required for the monarch to show up, other then that they are exactly the same IIRC. Getting a baron and having the king arrive are two different levels though, so just because you have a baron doesn't mean the king will ever show up. Just never offer anything to the dwarven caravan and then the king will never appear, simple.

And no, you will never be able to make trade agreements again until you accept the barony.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 04:58:21 am »

Thanks, I suppose I can live without trade agreements. I know that barony isn't directly related to king's arrival, but I believe that being a barony can trigger king's arrival. And the only requirement I need to fulfill to become capital is to give more offerings. I gave one offering by mistake - it was a vial of golden salve, worth 2.5k. Two more mistakes like that and my fortress becomes capital, and the king may arrive. I know from previous fortresses that it doesn't take long.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 05:48:58 am »

Don't you need a duke and 140 dorfs or something for the monarch to arrive? I generally don't get much more than 100 of the little buggers, too much micromanagement :P
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 06:20:28 am »

when you meet the requirements, your baron will be promoted > count > duke, then the king arrives. Shocking that he's as easy to bribe at 5000 dorfbucks, I think I've dumped 100k dorfbucks on the caravans so far.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 07:17:49 am »

when you meet the requirements, your baron will be promoted > count > duke, then the king arrives. Shocking that he's as easy to bribe at 5000 dorfbucks, I think I've dumped 100k dorfbucks on the caravans so far.
Actually, the progression of your baron isn't a prerequisite of getting the monarch / mountain home status. In my current fort, my queen arrived two seasons after I was made into a barony.

I imagine it's more about population and value than the state of nobility.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 07:20:41 am »

So I have to abandon soon before the king shows up...

10M worth fort, gifts of ... a lot, 127 dwarfs or so

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 08:02:38 am »

How do you offer? The (o)ffer option is greyed out for the dwarven traders, but not for everyone else.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 08:04:14 am »

can't offer things that were not made in your fort most likely