Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Longest Running Fort?  (Read 12550 times)

usgreth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Longest Running Fort?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 07:20:24 am »

My very first fortress, which I started today, is about 3/4ths of the way through its second year. Been pretty boring; Only had two out of the ordinary things happen so far: A were-monitor showed up, but promptly turned back into a human and left, and a kobold thief showed up. Of course, now that I've said that, odds are next time I play something bad is going to happen that will cream my meager military, since I'm still trying to figure out how to get the military going. Of course, since it's my first fort, I made a rookie mistake and made the entrance to my fortress too big and can't put a door in place, so I'll be in trouble when an inevitable siege shows up. So I put a ballista in the entrance path

I forsee trouble and panic when you use the ballista to defend your fort. It takes a fair bit of work and a ton of planning just to get them firing at enemies.
Anyway back to topic my longest was probably around the 14 years mark. I connected all three caverns and opened them up, to try and clear out the FB's lurking around them. Took them all out but the syndromes wrecked havoc and after many dorfs started dying off, I re-opened the circus while I still had some legendary dorfs left in the military.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 08:04:28 am »

15 years, although that was an embark on a glacier which only had my original 7 dwarves. It was glorious until the forgotten beast with stone as flesh came and killed them all.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 08:12:02 am »

14 year this one, I have a necromancer as neighbour, and I'm preparing my second attempt to wall of hell. first I need to get rid of the fbs that wandered in there. I plan to keep it until singled digit fps or next release.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 08:27:04 am »

Longest ever for me was 37 years... something like that. It's still on my old computer... can't bring myself to bring it back  :'(

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 09:32:16 am »

I think my... third fortress, maybe fourth, Relicveils, was my longest running. I know I got to 200ish dwarves with seasonal swarmings of the farm plots in 'harvest plants' spikes, and the first baby of my fort was 12 and newly a miner, so I think I managed about 13 years? Then I accidentally starved poor Rimtar Idashakrul by trapping her on the wrong side of a channel on the brook, didn't notice in time, and she died in the food stockpile right after I'd rescued her. :( I think I couldn't savescum to rescue her faster, so I flounced.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 09:48:54 am »

My longest running fort held out for about 15 years before I finally upgraded to a newer version. That's what kills most of my forts, either a new version comes out, or I just get bored and decide to abandon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 01:49:04 am »

latest releases have been save game compatible, right?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 [2]