Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Longest Running Fort?  (Read 12432 times)

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Longest Running Fort?
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:09:43 pm »

What was your longest running fort (If you don't know, go by memory or make something up. I like reading about this stuff for whatever reason...)? What were it's moments of greatness and how did it fall? Mine lasted about 15 years and fell apart do to general corruption.

P.S.- Yes... I suck at Dwarf Fortress (Although "suck" is a relative term in this case...).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:12:35 pm by DwarfMeister »

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
Re: Longest Running Fort?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:12:47 pm »

My longest running fort was 20 some odd years, and then I walked away and forgot to pause. A goblin siege had gone across the traps to my bridge, and had allowed every one go into my fort. Then with my military stationed in barracks near the entrance, they died as they did not take archer positions, the melee held better. I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:13:44 pm »

26 years, absolute pit of death for anything, completely dwarf-stupidity proof (hah hah, yeah right...) and insanely rich

fps death. When it dropped to 5 I had enough
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 08:48:27 pm »

I abandon at single digit fps, normally around 5-10 years.

Just reading about a megaproject fort, build an aboveground castle city. 200 years.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=43679.0
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 10:21:21 pm »

13 years, Embarked on an island with no neighbors.  Finally I got bored and dropped a 20x20 constructed floor through my fort to kill most everyone, and flooded the rest with magma+water.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 10:44:11 pm »

I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.

Oh the mental image is amazing!

I currently have a fort of 11 years, which I plan to raise until the grand age of 100.

However the fort is named Destined Failures, so I may be plagued with problems.
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 11:56:33 pm »

30 years, survived FPS death because of constant dfhack Clean All Mud Snow, temp off, and killing any peasants that arrived after my 150 personal cap.,
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 12:56:22 am »

3 ish years, because I can always make that workshop spire better, and I'm OCD about 'repairing' stone and weird designations everywhere.
I voted for BANANA!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 01:17:56 am »

My personal longest ranks in at about the 30-40 year point. I believe the longest one I've ever seen on the forums was some guy who ran his for something like 160 years though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zaydin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 01:32:11 am »

My very first fortress, which I started today, is about 3/4ths of the way through its second year. Been pretty boring; Only had two out of the ordinary things happen so far: A were-monitor showed up, but promptly turned back into a human and left, and a kobold thief showed up. Of course, now that I've said that, odds are next time I play something bad is going to happen that will cream my meager military, since I'm still trying to figure out how to get the military going. Of course, since it's my first fort, I made a rookie mistake and made the entrance to my fortress too big and can't put a door in place, so I'll be in trouble when an inevitable siege shows up. So I put a ballista in the entrance path
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:39:18 am by Zaydin »

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 01:33:53 am »

11 years in currently, main thing that keeps me motivates is constructing stuff.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 01:36:18 am »

My forts are usually always hectic, 2 years and you've only gotten a werebeast and a thief? I consider you lucky.

My first year of this current fort I'm playing came with all 3 caverns within z20 and z10, 2 FBs, two vampires, a siege, and the place is full of giant stuff.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 01:41:31 am »

I had this fortress with a huge cavern at the second layer, with all the outher side almost open to water and a huge pillar in the center(-ish)

that was one of my few megaprojects, a hoverhang city within the cavern. I had walled the lake pumping magma from the magma sea, then carved some drainage and pumped out almost everything, to obtain farmable land (yes I know I could have pumped water instead)

many were killed, by water, megabeasts or goblins. it gets really hard with multiple city layers to get where archers are shooting from :P

after about 25 years fps became unsustainable, however. I wanted to build some mirror castle on the surface with the city down below, but that many blocks produced clogged the piles, the haulers and the fps.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 03:52:33 am »

Something over 25 years, I just left it alone due to boredom and contentness. After that fort, I decided to make everything for myself considerably more fun.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 03:58:56 am »

Also something over 25. FPS death was close, but it died due to goofing around with DFHack.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!
Pages: [1] 2