Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: About the "End Game" demon.  (Read 2122 times)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: About the "End Game" demon.
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 09:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Koja:
<STRONG>Honestly, the game's not ready for a fortress-killable demon. Not very epic when a  drawbridge instakills the great demon.</STRONG>

I am ZORK, devourer of souls, killer of the masses, fear of a thousand widows, the nightmares of a thousand sons, the hatred of a million dwarves. I am the devourer, the destroyer, the annhi- *splat*

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »

Mmmmm, bridge instakills. Greater Demon Leather and Greater Demon Bone amulets for everyone!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 10:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
im pretty sure the phrase he used was "to save it from bridge-squishing"

Fixed.

[ July 22, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 12:19:00 am »

What we need is a really narrow bridge over the chasm, and a wizard.  That would kill it.  Well, if the wizard was actually something similar to an angel in disguise... or something.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 04:37:00 am »

The wizard doesn't kill him, the invisible dwarf deconstructing the bridge does.

When the demon breaks free, he casts a spell that instantly ends all life in a certain radius(note that all shrubs in deeped fort are considered dead and witherered). The spell takes a season to charge(the countdown timer) so it's kinda hard to predict when an adventurer is going to be in the fort to unleash it at exactly the same time they get close.

Similar example in other game: When ragnaros(wow and a small mention in wc3) got summoned he turned an entire mountain range into a volcanic wasteland with a single spell. After that, he became severely weakened so he could be defeated by 40 nobody's in fire resistant armor.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Neopergoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Koja:
<STRONG>Honestly, the game's not ready for a fortress-killable demon. Not very epic when a  drawbridge instakills the great demon.</STRONG>

It's my understanding that adventurers can pull levers, so in theory you can still kill the demon that way, although it would probably be hard to get the demon to stand in the right place while you pull it.

A: brb
B: what does "brb" mean?
A: be right back
B: (aww...why do they always leave whenever I ask them that?)

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 03:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Bingbing:
<STRONG>The question is how come you can take out a dozen demons with a powerful army, but the one unleashed by digging up the adamantine can destroy that same army, boosted with adamantine equipment, without even being touched?</STRONG>

You see the difference between an imp and the Balrog ? That's it.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 08:20:00 am »

Here's how. Let's take an example from World of Warcraft.

Compare, say, an imp:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Imp

To... oh, let's say, Ragnaros the Firelord:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Ragnaros

The difference between the little demons and the big uberdemon is probably something like that.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 05:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Narushima:
<STRONG>You see the difference between an imp and the Balrog ? That's it.</STRONG>

yes, but see, a professional troublema... Adventurer can kill it, the same adventurer who gets his hindpart handed to him by a star (five) of bowelfs.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 02:31:00 pm »

Thinking about it, the demon probably draws his power from the Adamantium being mined.  Perhaps when the metal is no longer entombed in rock, the demon is able to start attempting to escape.

If you look at one of the demons being "smeared out into a circle" in adventurer mode, you'll see that it's referring to your world's demon being entombed in the depths of the earth in time immemorial.  The adamantium probably has something to do with that, as some sort of shackle, bond, or cage.  Once the dwarves begin weaking the thing holding the demon in, it's only a matter of time before he escapes...

But, in twist of fate, it's the mining of the adamantium that strengthens him.  Once the dwarves are wiped out, the mining ceases, so he can no longer do fortress-ending sweeps, because he's no longer at full power.  Thus, some little adventurer comes along and decapitates him by throwing a scimitar at the demon.

That's just how I see it, though.

[ July 31, 2007: Message edited by: Dreamer ]

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 04:08:00 pm »

When the demon breaks free, the magic holding him back explodes in a blast of magical energy that kills everything in the fortress.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2007, 05:01:00 am »

maybe the demon is actually a nice person but he is so ugly and smells so much that the entire fortress gets killed or runs away then he decides to take a bath and put a mask on.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2007, 03:54:00 pm »

Maybe the demon's prison is filled with poison gasses from his long imprisonment there, and when he's released they flood the fortress, killing everyone before dispersing.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Kagira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 09:47:00 pm »

I'm not sure if its just the stuff scattered around because the fortress is abandoned, but in adventure mode I noticed a bunch of adamantine is "exploded" outwards from the demon's pit in chunks, not in rows like it was mined. Maybe the "magic fortress killing explosion ability" has something to do with this.
obles make fine firewood.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 12:16:00 am »

Stuff is just randomly placed around the fortress.  There's a few exceptions to this, but I'm not sure you'd like to know as it would make getting that special equipment a bit too easy for your adventurer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3