Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Mount & Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars - 12th Bay Regiment?  (Read 26071 times)

Drako

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars - 12th Bay Regiment?
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2012, 04:04:50 am »

Hey there!

I am Drako, one of the guys helping people get introduced to our community and the DLC. I noticed that some of you guys have purchased the DLC thus I have decided to join this thread, answering questions and such, so if you have any do not mind asking!  :D

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2012, 05:49:33 am »

How are musicians implemented? They were my favorite class in mount and musket.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2012, 05:51:47 am »

How are musicians implemented? They were my favorite class in mount and musket.
They give buffs to reload speed, accuracy, etc. Flags give a large buff to melee combat
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2012, 05:53:26 am »

So musicians arent acceptable teamkill target? Sounds good.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2012, 06:30:55 am »

Anything being done to combat lolspinning in melee? By far my biggest annoyance in the game is after a nice line battle the melee charge commences and all of a sudden we have 40 Star Wars Kids flailing at eachother doing ridiculous damage.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2012, 06:46:03 am »

I have honestly not seen that in any pubs I've been in.

I think it only works well with swords anyways
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2012, 02:21:18 pm »

Sounds like a part of Mount and Blade's damage system. If your attacks have speed behind them, they do additional damage. I've noticed that Napoleonic Wars keeps it but doesn't actually show the modifier.
Nothing important here, move along.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2012, 02:27:33 pm »

Well I bought this thing now, Im in. I havent been teamkilled a single time as musician so looking good.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:34:41 pm by Johuotar »

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2012, 05:20:34 pm »

It might be best if we use TS, I think that's what they use for linebattles.
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2012, 05:27:14 pm »

Anything being done to combat lolspinning in melee? By far my biggest annoyance in the game is after a nice line battle the melee charge commences and all of a sudden we have 40 Star Wars Kids flailing at eachother doing ridiculous damage.
WaltF4 did an experiment regarding pikes and spin thrusting, which is somewhat relevant.

Quote from: WaltF4
The weapon collider for the two handed polearm thrust will interact with other objects as soon as the weapon begins to advance. I am fairly certain weapon colliders for all weapon types and attack directions work similarly, but I have not tested them to the same extent. So, I do not know if it is possible to make a distinction between starting the animation and the weapon advancing.

Since you seem to have more than a passing interest in the thrust mechanics you might be interested in an experiment I ran in the native tutorial using modified characteristics for the practice sword and quarter staff as well as the practice dummies there. I changed the practice sword to use the two handed polearm thrust animation instead of the one handed weapon thrust animation and set the length to 200 cm. I used this 200 length reference weapon to set my distance from the practice dummy such that a thrust would barely reach the target at full extension. There is a rapid drop in damage after the sweet spot is passed that I used to repeatedly find the same spacing. I would estimate that the precession of this method of range finding is better than 5 cm as it was sensitive enough to detected the very small difference in reach between quick thrust and held thrust attacks. After finding the correct spacing, I then thrust with the quarter staff modified to have lengths between 150 cm and 400 cm and recorded the damage dealt when striking the practice dummy. The plot below show the damage dealt as a function of quarter staff length.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For clarity, I have replotted the damage data as a function of the distance the trust traveled before reaching the practice dummy. I have also labeled the major distance regions of interest.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If the thrust hits the practice dummy before traveling any distance (i.e. the weapon collider starts inside the practice dummy) it always deals 3 damage regardless of the weapon damage value. This seems to be the minimum damage that can be inflicted to unarmored targets (without speed bonus) and occurs with the other thrust animations. For two handed polearm thrusts traveling between 1 cm and 85 cm, the damage dealt increases with increasing distance traveled. This 1 cm to 85 cm range is where spinning with the thrust allows you to delay when the thrust hits to increase the distance the thrust will have traveled and the amount of damage dealt. The sweet spot for maximum damage of a two handed polearm thrust is between 85 cm and 165 cm. After traveling 165 cm, the rapid drop in damage occurs, and 175 cm is the maximum distance the two handed polearm thrust will travel.

Yes. You can also thrust through some walls with the long spear. This would suggests that the pike can thrust through objects at least 55 cm thick.

Essentially what he is saying is that regularly stabbing an enemy that is close to you results in the weapon not going as far before hitting its target. Spin thrusting allows the animation to play out longer so it can reach the 'sweet spot' before you 'spin' into the target for maximum damage. Before weapon collisions with the ground were implemented into CRPG, pikemen loved to stab into the ground then spin up into the enemy, which was pretty ridiculous and hilarious to watch.

Spin thrusting has not been fixed, and I don't believe they will ever fix it, unfortunately. The fact that soldiers in NW wear next to no armor means ludicrous amounts of damage galore, even with piercing damage.

To top it all off there's the polestunning...

The lag doesn't help either.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2012, 06:35:31 pm »

WaltF4 did an experiment regarding pikes and spin thrusting, which is somewhat relevant.

Yup that is the stuff I was talking about, also the ground striking is fully operational in NW as well, I like to refer to it as bayonetdigging and it is every bit as silly as it sounds.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2012, 09:45:53 pm »

Alright, hope you guys are going to show up. I'm probably going to be at least an hour or two late, so I'm hoping you guys are planning to play longer than that =p

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2012, 08:12:27 am »

Should we set up a Steam group for this or something? Might help with coordination and remembering that stuff is actually happening.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2012, 08:30:51 am »

Dooo eeet.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2012, 08:32:17 am »

It'll be up in a bit then.

EDIT: 12th Bay Regiment is now up. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Bay12Reg
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:33:55 am by Simmura McCrea »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7