Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Mount & Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars - 12th Bay Regiment?  (Read 25960 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mount & Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars - 12th Bay Regiment?
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:40:34 am »

Fairly good review by angry joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTnJXZ8LDG8&feature=youtu.be

So while Napoleonic Wars is simply the mount & musket mod turned into DLC (10$/€), I found it worth the price. There are some bugs, but overall if you could handle warbands, you can handle this.

The commander battle is amazing and a ton of fun, commanding your own regiment and kicking ass while your teammates uselessly stand in spawn and fire all there ammo blindly over the whole map and end up with 0 kills and 0 ammo - is quite fun.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 02:45:07 am by ThtblovesDF »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:58:52 am »

I got it and it's quite fun. Suffered from a lack of Australian servers at launch (bastards didn't give us an offical server >_>) but there's now 2 or so fully populated servers.
Quite a good albeit slow game, feeling very different from the orginal Mount and Blade. Animations and uniforms are all extremely well done and it's extremely handsome looking for M&B.

The rockets, cannons, marching bands and constructions all bring much more depth to the game offering a varity of different play styles. It seems there might be a tad of a balance issue with ranker's bayonets, they outclass all other melee weapons in both range and damage. Horsemen, lancers in paticular, seem extremely pointless and can easily be killed by a single ranker with a bayonet.

I found the most fun to be had in playing in a public server where it's pure chaos while playing as a Russian "Partisan" (basically a conscripted serf). Partisans spawn with random collection of "everyday" weapons like hoes, sickles and bottles. Massive amounts of giggles to be had throwing a bottle at someones face, stabbing a pitchfork through his stomach and looting his gun. :D

I also had the liberty of being in a public line battle hosted by one of the "clans" that owned the server. It's quite fun marching in a line and releasing a deadly volley of death before crouching under an entrenchment and praying to a god you don't believe in that a stray musket-ball doesn't find your head. A full bayonet charge is also a sight to behold.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:11:36 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 09:00:27 am »

After the debacle that was F&S I dont know if I can justify spending 10 bucks on this tbh, there is no single player at all?  not to be a naysayer, but how long do you think the servers will stay poplulated?
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:18:17 am »

There's a custom battle mode and tutorial. You can also run an offline multiplayer game with bots, apart from that nothing. Flyingfox Software said they are considering adding a single player campaign if they can get around to it, but it really doesn't seem likely to me.

As for the servers, I honestly don't know. Mount and Musket was quite popular and having an "offical" release of it would add more players. I forsee there being a decent amount of players for quite a while in North America and Europe but I really don't think the Oceania community will stay around for long  :-[.
As for the 10 dollars it's an extremely polished games and the devs seem very devoted. It's however purely multiplayer so you'll have to make your mind up if that's not enough.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:21:01 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 09:34:49 am »

I hesitated pretty hard at the price tag. If it had been $5 or something I would have gotten it without a second thought, mostly because (while I love Warband), I didn't care much for Fire and Sword. That, and this era of combat isn't one I'm particularly interested to play in.

Having said that, I've been playing on and off when I have the time. Several of the largest servers are frequently full, though they usually have 5-15 slots open (out of 200) when I launch the game. There are a number of game modes, including siege, conquest, battle, deathmatch ... I've stuck mostly with siege and battle.

There isn't any single player content to speak of right now. You can do as Catastrophic lolcats suggests, but it isn't as engaging as it could be. Unless and until they add a campaign or something (and they should!), I wouldn't get it just for single player.

The huge 100 vs 100 battles and sieges are downright awesome fun, though. Some pre-made groups form actual battle lines, complete with standards and musicians, while most everyone else runs around and has fun with the tragically inaccurate weapons of the era.

The rockets are probably the most astonishing team-killing weapon I've ever seen in a game. You'll see guys carefully line up a shot on the enemy, then ... fWOOooooshzzzzziiiiiBOOOM! It spirals crazily all over the place and strikes a cluster of friendlies hiding behind a rock, 50 degrees and a long walk to the left.

The graphics and sounds are well done. I love the crack of the muskets and smoke that conceals the battlefield for a moment.

I'm a little worried server pops will drop, too, because then it won't be nearly so much fun. The hilarious antics are as entertaining as the Actual Point of the Game.

Really, the only reason I bought it initially was because of how many hours I've put into M&B. But I feel like I've gotten a great amount of amusement (and Fun) out of it over the weekend, so no regrets.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:41:17 am »

Yeah, I wouldn't spend $10 on multiplayer-only. I have avoided buying any of their stuff since Warband... I may reconsider if they add single-player to this, but until then, no.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:24:16 am »

I forgot to mention the main reason why you should buy the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2OyXP1S9tw

:P
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:43:12 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 10:32:45 am »

I think we should form a Bay12 Regiment if we can find enough people. I've seen videos of it and it looks really fun.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 10:51:34 am »

No singleplayer is what kills it for me. As it stands I might as well just continue playing mount and musket.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 11:05:28 am »

No singleplayer is what kills it for me. As it stands I might as well just continue playing mount and musket.
Except of course that 'official'  M&M servers will have, by and large, converted to NW. And most of the large non-official servers will have followed suit. Not to mention that you can forget about bugfixes for M&M. :P

Anyway, I haven't bought it yet, nor have I bought WFaS, but maybe I will. I know I had fun in M&M, after all.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 11:06:27 am »

I believe the mod which became this DLC was Multiplayer centric, so making a singleplayer mode would make no sense. Besides, I don't think singleplayer could even work, considering everything. 

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 11:08:32 am »

Pah, in which case i'll bid it farewell. :P
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 11:17:42 am »

Actually, I think I've read, don't quote me on this, that a singleplayer *might* be an idea for later. However, that is obviously a very big might and multiplayer is a very different beastie than singleplayer.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 11:48:44 am »

While i played a little of the new mount and blade and i didnt liked it, after watching some vids i found this really interesting with some RP involved, im leaving the link here, i found it awsome how everyone follow orders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZVmNhwOxYI

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 02:22:38 pm »

While i played a little of the new mount and blade and i didnt liked it, after watching some vids i found this really interesting with some RP involved, im leaving the link here, i found it awsome how everyone follow orders.
Personally, I don't think thats roleplay as much as the way the Napoleonic Wars is suppose to be played. I personally believe that the most fun of the mod comes from Regiments working together as a team.

I would also like to point out this video from the same Channel, which is my main reasoning behind forming a Bay12 Regiment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6c4CP_YN3Q&feature=relmfu

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7