Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: dorfs refuse to evaluate wounded  (Read 5518 times)

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dorfs refuse to evaluate wounded
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:54:30 am »

i have 3 medical dorfs, and 3 wounded. two of the wounded have nothim more major than broken limbs, the third is pretty badly mangled. my 3 medical dorfs love looking over the 2 minr injuries, but have refused to even evaluate the mangled dorf. all they do is change the dressing on the two that are already taken care of. is there a reason they refuse even look over the mangled dorf?
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dorfs refuse to evaluate wounded
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:12:01 am »

When a dwarf has to make a decision, they will make the wrong one approximately 99.7% of the time. Assuming they just consider themselves too busy to check up on the guy, there's a couple of measures you can take to help. Firstly, have your diagnosers completely free of all other labours. This means absolutely no hauling or work whatsoever, including other medical labours. Secondly, if you still find diagnosis beginning on Urist McScratched instead of Urist McBloodfountain the Gushing, consider giving your hospital beds their own little bays with individual doors. That way you can lock the mild cases up until the serious ones are treated. If neither of these solves your problems, then it's something weird going on and I have no clue how to proceed. Try deliberately reinjuring the guy or something, it should generate a new diagnosis request.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 07:34:29 am »

Check if he is diagnosed in health menu to be sure. He may be diagnosed already and requires bone setting or surgery, and you don't have have traction bech and operating table set up.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:01:53 am »

Well the dwarves are dumb, its true. The best way to reduce the time spent on each injured dwarf is probably putting a lot more containers in the hospital and increasing all the stuff that could be put there. Also having a fresh well just inside the hospital will heavily reduce the time spent getting water to clean with.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Darksilverhawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:58:44 am »

When a dwarf has to make a decision, they will make the wrong one approximately 99.7% of the time.
Sigged.

Seconding to double-check to make sure you have operating tables and traction benches set up. If he still hasn't even been diagnosed yet and your MDs are still keeping busy, try disabling all labors but diagnosis on them. If that doesn't work you may have to re-injure him. On the other hand, how important/likely to still be important after treatment is Urist McBrokeneverything?
When a dwarf has to make a decision, they will make the wrong one approximately 99.7% of the time.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 12:32:04 pm »

A slightly less dramatic action than reinjuring him that might work (assuming all the more likely causes have been ruled out) is to try and deconstruct his bed?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 02:46:25 pm »

thanks for all the replies, and i had all the most common things covered:

1. hospital is massively overstocked
2. hospital has, and is reporting, 2 traction benches and 2 tables (both of which were unused)
3. at least 2 medidorfs were idle at all times (no other labors enabled)
4. he never got a diagnosis, i kept checking
5. as a last resort (right before he starved to death) i tried to un-build his be and have him re-rescued. no dice, he was ignored on the floor till he died.

i was pretty sure he was a gonner anyway, since his wound screen listed several important internal organs, but i at least wanted the medidorfs to practice on him, and see all that high quality equipment go to good use. . .

what i also find odd, and may indicate what happened, is that the rest of the for refused to feed and water the guy as well. he finally succumbed, not to his wounds, but to starvation.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 03:36:13 pm »

I had something similar happen- injured soldier with a broken ankle.  z-Health screen indicated that he needed a diagnosis.  However, he wasn't even in a hospital bed- he was lying on his own bed in his own room with "no job", doing absolutely nothing (not even sleeping- he was hungry, thirsty and drowsy before he succumbed to melancholy).  Nobody fed him, nobody took him to the hospital, he didn't do anything himself.  In fact, he only started moving again once he went melancholy.  The hospital's worked just fine for everyone else in the fort who's had nonlethal injuries, including quite a few other soldiers. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 05:22:54 pm »

I had something similar happen- injured soldier with a broken ankle.  z-Health screen indicated that he needed a diagnosis.  However, he wasn't even in a hospital bed- he was lying on his own bed in his own room with "no job", doing absolutely nothing (not even sleeping- he was hungry, thirsty and drowsy before he succumbed to melancholy).  Nobody fed him, nobody took him to the hospital, he didn't do anything himself.  In fact, he only started moving again once he went melancholy.  The hospital's worked just fine for everyone else in the fort who's had nonlethal injuries, including quite a few other soldiers.

Sounds to me like the dorf was too dwarfy for his own good and refused treatment or something. maybe he was trying to move to get a crutch but not injured enough to require rescuing, and since he couldn't get a crutch he just sat there and went nuts, then didnt give a crap that his foot was falling off as he shambled around until his demise...?

Or maybe dwarves are just dumb :|

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 06:10:53 pm »

I can attest to this issue as well, I've had at least 3 dwarves starve/die of thirst when they never got evaluated after being injured.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 06:27:12 pm »

Did you check the dwarf's preferences ??
I know that preferences affect doctors and militia.

If the doctor has a grudge, or if he "Doesn't give a damn about others", then the doctor may not treat the patient.
I also know that "finds helping others rewarding" is good for the feed patients labor.

Missing anything else?

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 07:13:25 pm »

[...]
If the doctor has a grudge, or if he "Doesn't give a damn about others", then the doctor may not treat the patient.
[...]

This should make the best doctor...

Dr. Urist McHouse

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 08:48:50 pm »

Did you check the dwarf's preferences ??
I know that preferences affect doctors and militia.

I also know that "finds helping others rewarding" is good for the feed patients labor.

Missing anything else?

It's definitely not anything like that for me, because other patients got treated just fine.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 09:15:07 pm »

I had a problem similar to this, where a dwarf wasn't being diagnosed (and also wasn't been fed or offered water). What I found helped encourage the dwarves to evaluate was a haphazardly dropped tile in the middle of the hospital carefully engineered cave-in to knock the in-need-of-diagnosing dwarf out and remind the other dwarves to diagnose.

I may have also accidentally killed a few dwarves by knocking them down the well with the dust and 20ish z's into the cavern pool below, since I first burrowed the lot of them into the hospital. I recommend not doing that.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Iggbyoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 09:29:33 pm »

I've had this happen, too.  I actually had two dwarfs in one bed (not in hospital, and they weren't even married). One starved to death and the other got treated to recovery. I deconstrucetd the bed and the others didn't even move the one that was getting care.  I cal bug! :o Anyone know if that's already one? I'll do search in Mantis if nobody already knows.
Pages: [1] 2