Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Go kill that overlord"  (Read 3892 times)

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Go kill that overlord"
« on: April 23, 2012, 01:06:16 pm »

Okay, cool, he's dead. He was your neighbour, and a goblin just like you. Why did you want me to kill him?

Don't talk to me.

...what? Why does this happen?
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: "Go kill that overlord"
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:33:10 pm »

If you just hired someone to assassinate your leader, would you want to talk to them afterwards? :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:54:00 pm »

Without knowing the exact details of your quest I can't say for sure, but was this overlord a night creature/vampire/werecreature? Sometimes villagers or lawgivers will give you a quest to kill some nefarious beast even if said nefarious beastie is now the lawgiver of another fortress in the same civilization. The overlap means that if you fufill their quest you will have killed a member of their civilization, and now they will shun you forever, even though said member was a creature from the underworld and or a bloodsucking monster. It's a bit irritating, I know.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 02:44:35 pm »

It was a bandit living in a house, not a night creature. Just a simple house too, not a power position.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 03:14:19 pm »

It was a bandit living in a house, not a night creature. Just a simple house too, not a power position.

Ah. The living in a house part is an issue. Never kill anything that doesn't attack you first in towns: the townpeople probably consider it part of their civilization. Likely in worldgen the bandit killed people, stopped, and settled in your city- however he had still killed someone, and was thus a valid target for quests in-game.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 06:39:38 am »

Ah. The living in a house part is an issue. Never kill anything that doesn't attack you first in towns: the townpeople probably consider it part of their civilization. Likely in worldgen the bandit killed people, stopped, and settled in your city- however he had still killed someone, and was thus a valid target for quests in-game.

I.e. wait until they call thier names in red and what they have killed if they have killed anything. When they have done that there hasnt been any problems in any of my missions.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

agentorangesoda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 11:30:54 am »

I actually had a whole town go hostile after defending myself against a goblin overlord in a town

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 12:23:06 pm »

I had duplicated raws once(actually very many times), and decided to play the world as a giant adventurer(after the demon wagon haulers set fire to the grass at embark).  I was given a task to kill the queen of the giants by her councilor, while right next to her.  Of course they all attacked me and not him.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

NineFourEightSeven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 01:36:54 pm »

Were you playing as a Goblin?

[LOCAL_BANDITRY] in the civ entity makes them want to kill you if you leave and return.