Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hydro push  (Read 678 times)

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hydro push
« on: May 22, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

I think I've heard the awnser to this question but as of recently  can't be sure. Does water "push" objects I know it does characters but not so much for objects. I wish to create a system, since my chasm is the opposite side of the map to my fort I wanted to have a hole to drop stuff in and use water to push it across the map into the chasm.
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
Re: Hydro push
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

Yes, but I believe only the leading edge pushes.  Once the items are under all 7s, they're stuck until you drain and redo it.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 07:45:00 am »

Yeah, this is what I've found out, too. Also, it wasn't working very consistently. Some items just couldn't be moved at all.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 07:59:00 am »

I think its got something to do with the weight of the object getting pushed.
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 11:13:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jayfrin:
<STRONG>I wish to create a system, since my chasm is the opposite side of the map to my fort I wanted to have a hole to drop stuff in and use water to push it across the map into the chasm.</STRONG>

Water at less than 7/7 pushes objects, and heavier objects need a higher level to move than lighter ones.

If you want to push objects into a chasm, I assume it is for disposal. You actually don't need the chasm to dispose of things : just the water is enough, because objects moved by water have a chance of being destroyed (bug or feature, I don't know. Feature I think, because tougher objects like iron armor doesn't get destroyed)

Read that post to know more:
"Flushing - a new method to manage goblin waste "
in the DF Dwarf Mode Discussion board

Fooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

Even magma pushes objects, which is really annoying when you are trying to destroy said objects.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fooster:
<STRONG>Even magma pushes objects, which is really annoying when you are trying to destroy said objects.</STRONG>

or when the magma pushes 'molten gold' into your floodgate and now it won't close and everyone burns up.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »

Sort of necromancy I know, but I know for a fact that magma pushes objects no matter how it flows. This may differ from water, but items long-submerged in 7/7 magma will float off in the direction of a flow when one is opened.

For example I had some dumped iron and steel things laying around in a magma pipe. I open a channel from it leading off to my magma industry. The resulting current in the main bulk of magma scatters the items toward the channel.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 11:11:00 pm »

Some glaring bugs aside (which I assume to be due to lack of being finished), I've found the fluid dynamics and minerology incorporated into Dwarf Fortress to be remarkably accurate.