_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5672683 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

This thread is for handling the On ship faffing about of people waiting to get a chance to kill themselves. If you're not actively on a mission, do crap here.
TVtropes page
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Roleplay/EinsteinianRoulette

ER wiki
http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Einsteinian_Roulette_Wiki
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:33:10 pm by piecewise »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:09:59 am »

Jim continued to meditate in peace.

(Basically a short post to get it on my 'new replies' page before going to bed. :P)

Armory
(Note: All weapons come with 1 magazine/battery of ammunition. Extra ammunition is available for a price New items may become available in the future.Prices subject to change. Satisfaction and survival are not guaranteed. You may buy things for others but may not pool your tokens.)

Conventional
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unconventional

Exotic weapons

Auxiliary systems:

Medical Tech:

Misc
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:48:11 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:15:26 am »

"Hah! Is that all?" shoot the other one my size then use this ones corpse as a shield.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 12:27:38 am »

((revised character list, I think this would convey the character best))
((Also, do I understand it right that, in general, having +1 bonus to roll on something is the same as having increased the corresponding stat by 15/skill by 9? Asking because some clarification on what bonuses do the exoskeleton/such things apply to strength is clearly needed. For, if I understand it right, having an exoskeleton would provide you with 15 more spoints of strength, which makes the use of heavy gauss cannon (Min 10 str, spec: 12 str) acceptable automatically, but you would still need at least some 'natural' strength in your arms to use Fission Instigator(Min 18 str) - right? ))

After returning the videos, pay a visit to Doc and ask to instal the switch. If different settings (levels) of electrocuting possible, ask for three: 'jolt', 'shake up' and 'pass out' (non-lethal); ask to bring round, as needed, and calibrate and test these at the spot.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 12:52:09 am »

Continue to wander aimlessly, but keep a look out for any fellow team members on standby.

(Yep, getting this on my replies list and and a request for a current player list, if possible.)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 01:27:13 am »

"Hmm.... The gun itself is easy, but the nets... Perhaps I can instal small motors in the winches that will vibrate the filaments?"

Call up the schematics for the monorazer and find the parts responsible for vibrating the filament, then install copies in each of the winches of the net, resizing the parts so that they fit properly if needed. Then, for the attachment issue, get some powerful magnets, probably electromagnets, of miniture size and install them into the winches along with a few hardened armor piercing spikes, then modify the end of the gun barrel to have an electric current pass across it. The idea is thus: The net will be tightly wound up in the winches so that it resembles something akin to a egg, when it is loaded into the gun. The gun will fire these suckers normally, and when they leave the end of the barrel, the electric current will spark off the magets so that they repulse each other and extend the spikes at the same time. These spikes will most likely also be magnetized and of the same polarity as the repulsing magnets (same poles repulse each other).

The effect is that the net, when not activated, will be wound up into an egg shape and when fired will snap out into a full net within a few milliseconds and will either cut through whatever it's being fired at or wrap around it and slam the spikes into it where they will be attached either magnetically or by literally punching holes in the target. This force on the spikes will then activate the motors which will then wind the net tighter until it cuts through the target completely. The filament vibrators will probably only activate when the motors are activated, but if I can get them working when the net is fired, then so much the better.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 02:54:18 am »

"Hah! Is that all?" shoot the other one my size then use this ones corpse as a shield.
[strength roll:6] You grab the creature and try to use it as a shield but end up simply tearing a large chunk of flesh out of it as you try to pick it up. You toss away the lump of flesh and open fire on the bull like creature. [Con wep:2+2] Your coilgun slugs slam into the creature's boney hide, shattering plates of carapace but apparently not making it through to flesh. The creature turns toward you, eyes hidden somewhere in a forest of bone spikes and twisting horns, and parts of its hide slide open, revealing orifices out of which fire a barrage of organic shrapnel. [End roll:2+2] You don't budge an inch as the shards of bone shred away the last of your cloak and bounce off your armor plating.

((revised character list, I think this would convey the character best))
((Also, do I understand it right that, in general, having +1 bonus to roll on something is the same as having increased the corresponding stat by 15/skill by 9? Asking because some clarification on what bonuses do the exoskeleton/such things apply to strength is clearly needed. For, if I understand it right, having an exoskeleton would provide you with 15 more spoints of strength, which makes the use of heavy gauss cannon (Min 10 str, spec: 12 str) acceptable automatically, but you would still need at least some 'natural' strength in your arms to use Fission Instigator(Min 18 str) - right? ))

After returning the videos, pay a visit to Doc and ask to instal the switch. If different settings (levels) of electrocuting possible, ask for three: 'jolt', 'shake up' and 'pass out' (non-lethal); ask to bring round, as needed, and calibrate and test these at the spot.
((you know I never really thought about it like that, but that does make a lot of sense. So yeah, we'll handle it like that. Unless it ends up horribly unbalancing things. But we'll handle that when it comes to it. For now, we'll do that. ))

You head to the doctor after returning the videos; he tilts his head at you in mild bemusement and points toward a bed.  You lay down and he injects something into your arm.
"Putting switch in tooth. Timer switch. Hold it in to activate. 1 second, mild. 2 seconds, moderate. 3 seconds, severe. Don't hold for longer."
You start to feel sleepy as the doc digs through some supplies by the bed.
"Pretty sure 3 seconds for severe. Or was it 1 for severe, 3 for mild? Hmm. Doesn't matter."
You pass out.

You wake up a while later with a pain in your jaw. The doctor is no where to be seen. Huh.

"Hmm.... The gun itself is easy, but the nets... Perhaps I can instal small motors in the winches that will vibrate the filaments?"

Call up the schematics for the monorazer and find the parts responsible for vibrating the filament, then install copies in each of the winches of the net, resizing the parts so that they fit properly if needed. Then, for the attachment issue, get some powerful magnets, probably electromagnets, of miniture size and install them into the winches along with a few hardened armor piercing spikes, then modify the end of the gun barrel to have an electric current pass across it. The idea is thus: The net will be tightly wound up in the winches so that it resembles something akin to a egg, when it is loaded into the gun. The gun will fire these suckers normally, and when they leave the end of the barrel, the electric current will spark off the magets so that they repulse each other and extend the spikes at the same time. These spikes will most likely also be magnetized and of the same polarity as the repulsing magnets (same poles repulse each other).

The effect is that the net, when not activated, will be wound up into an egg shape and when fired will snap out into a full net within a few milliseconds and will either cut through whatever it's being fired at or wrap around it and slam the spikes into it where they will be attached either magnetically or by literally punching holes in the target. This force on the spikes will then activate the motors which will then wind the net tighter until it cuts through the target completely. The filament vibrators will probably only activate when the motors are activated, but if I can get them working when the net is fired, then so much the better.

You pull up plans for a Monoatomic Razor and copy paste the vibration system onto each wire in the net. That done, you run a simulation on how it will react and grimace as the net vibrates itself into pieces. That isn't going to work. Hmm. You return to the old net design and input your idea for the metal spikes and magnet  system, electromagnets to repulse and open the net and magnetized spikes to cling to metal on the target. The program draws them in on the net and you have it compress the result into a tight bundle and fit it in a special sabot before porting it into the gun you made. You tap a few keys on the work bench and bring up a metal dummy to try it out on, making sure to turn off recoil simulation before you do.

The net fires like a dream, opens nicely, but the problem comes as it tries to wrap around the target. The metal spikes, each powerfully charged to the same pole, repel each other as they try to wrap around and the net fails to enshroud the target. Hmmm.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 03:20:52 am »

Hmmm... Now I should really try and remember never to grind my teeth *chuckle*

Try holding the switch for 1 sec; recover. For 2 sec; recover. For 3 sec; try to recover.
ADD:
By the way, Steve - how old are the 'Corps (absolute time)? How old are you, Steve (subjective time would be okay)?  And how many comrades have already survived through ten missions and safely resigned?
And how many poor souls have not made through these ten circles of hell?
Oh, and also, concerning that old piece of text: is it, by any chance, you who is waiting for us as the tenth circle of hazardousness?
*a bit nervous, but nevertheless ironic chuckle*
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:42:19 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 06:19:56 am »

Feyri continues her Meditation.

Still in the Mess Hall.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 06:21:56 am »

*poke*
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 06:29:51 am »

Milno returns the video to the armory master, goes to the rec room, looks around for a moment - "Lemmings." - and then tries to use one of the VR machines -"How exactly does this piece of scrap work?" - on the "equipment sandbox" mode to make a MkIII model appear so he may try to tinker with it in such way that the virtual model turns less prone to exploding after taking damage on its jets.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:31:05 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 06:36:35 am »

Hide. NAOW.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 08:28:26 am »

"Hmmm... I don't think this is going to work this way..."

Shaking his head, Bishop decides that the net idea is simply not really viable. The filaments are cutting through each other when they vibrate out of time. That and the magnet problem simply makes it unviable to work.

He decided to simplify the design; The gun remained unchanged but the net idea was out and was replaced by bolas, which would work equally well and he could stretch multiple filaments between two larger winches. The tricky part was getting the thing to wrap itself around a target it couldn't cut through instantly... Perhaps he could make the magnets switch polarity on impact?

Scrap the net idea, and instead create a simple ball, which upon being fired would split in two and stretch multiple filaments between the two halfs. Keep the magnets and spikes, but unpolorize the spikes, increase the winch power with the extra size and add a current switcher which would effectively switch the polarity of one of the magnets when the bola's filaments are pulled beyond a certain tension, thereby attracting the other half. Also design a contraption that could help reduce or neutralize kickback from firing the weapon. Think about viability of using synth-flesh specially grown parts for the bolas.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 02:08:39 pm »

Hmmm... Now I should really try and remember never to grind my teeth *chuckle*

Try holding the switch for 1 sec; recover. For 2 sec; recover. For 3 sec; try to recover.
ADD:
By the way, Steve - how old are the 'Corps (absolute time)? How old are you, Steve (subjective time would be okay)?  And how many comrades have already survived through ten missions and safely resigned?
And how many poor souls have not made through these ten circles of hell?
Oh, and also, concerning that old piece of text: is it, by any chance, you who is waiting for us as the tenth circle of hazardousness?
*a bit nervous, but nevertheless ironic chuckle*
You press the switch down for a 1 second and then release it. You immediately collapse to the ground, twitching violently as random sensations; pain, pleasure, heat, cold, tingling; surge through your charged nerves. After an indeterminate amount of time lost in that twisting waking coma you get up. Huh. So thats 1 second.

You press down and count 2 seconds before releasing. This time you don't collapse right away; every muscle in your body violently contracts, struggling against your other muscles, transforming you into twitching, paralyzed statue. Eventually you lose balance and fall to the ground [end roll: 1] cracking your head on the floor and knocking yourself out.

You wake up a while later, thinking that using the 3rd setting might not be the best idea.

Feyri continues her Meditation.

Still in the Mess Hall.

You're back in your bed actually, if I remember right.

*poke*
*Slap*

Milno returns the video to the armory master, goes to the rec room, looks around for a moment - "Lemmings." - and then tries to use one of the VR machines -"How exactly does this piece of scrap work?" - on the "equipment sandbox" mode to make a MkIII model appear so he may try to tinker with it in such way that the virtual model turns less prone to exploding after taking damage on its jets.
You walk back to the armory master and return the video to her before heading to the Rec room to try out the vr machines. You take off your suit helmet and glove, replacing them with the vr machine's equivalent, and boot up the 'tinker' program.  You bring up a Mk III suit and take a look at the rocket pods. [Intelligence roll:5] The way you see it, the problem is something inherent in the design. The rocket pods are pretty much nothing but containers of highly pressurized, very volatile fuel; if they get punctured, chances are they're gonna blow up. The ways to really effectively lower the chances of getting killed by that seem relatively few. You could increase the armor on the pods, which would increase your overall weight, lowering your speed and maneuverability. Or you could rig up some sort of automatic injection system to hurl a damaged rocket pod away from you before it blows. That, of course, could mean suddenly finding yourself without one or both of your "wing" rockets. That sort of thing happening while a half mile in the air would be pretty much as bad as just letting it blow up.

Hmm.

Hide. NAOW.

You immediately slip into the shadows, taking refuge  behind a half burnt sofa in the corner of the room.

"Hmmm... I don't think this is going to work this way..."

Shaking his head, Bishop decides that the net idea is simply not really viable. The filaments are cutting through each other when they vibrate out of time. That and the magnet problem simply makes it unviable to work.

He decided to simplify the design; The gun remained unchanged but the net idea was out and was replaced by bolas, which would work equally well and he could stretch multiple filaments between two larger winches. The tricky part was getting the thing to wrap itself around a target it couldn't cut through instantly... Perhaps he could make the magnets switch polarity on impact?

Scrap the net idea, and instead create a simple ball, which upon being fired would split in two and stretch multiple filaments between the two halfs. Keep the magnets and spikes, but unpolorize the spikes, increase the winch power with the extra size and add a current switcher which would effectively switch the polarity of one of the magnets when the bola's filaments are pulled beyond a certain tension, thereby attracting the other half. Also design a contraption that could help reduce or neutralize kickback from firing the weapon. Think about viability of using synth-flesh specially grown parts for the bolas.
You scrap the current net and bring up a new idea. You take a metal sphere, slice it in half, and hollow it out. You insert wench systems, along with the magnet systems, and then string 3 monoatomic filaments between both hemisphere shells. [intelligence roll:5] You start to put in the spikes but realize that the design doesn't need them if you handle it correctly. You adjust the magnet systems in both the bola and the gun. There. Now, at first the bola's halves are differently charged, one with its positive pointing inward and the other with the negative, keeping them together. When they're fired the negative is flipped to positive pointing inward, causing the bola to violently repulse and spread, opening up and stretching the filaments between them. Once fully open the magnet will flip back, so that when the bola wraps around something, the two halves will then stick back together.

Next is the problem of making the winches activate. You could try to rig up something automatic or simply have a remote button on the gun itself.

You leave that for later and look into a way to cushion the recoil of the weapon. [Intelligence:2] You can't really think of anything.

(I'm not sure what you mean by using synth-flesh parts on this. But making ammo out of it would probably be a bit silly; each round would be like 10 token.)

((Glad to see everyone is enjoying the Tinker program :P. Hopefully it shall allow you all to personalize and create things to your hearts content.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 02:21:41 pm »

Milno considers the possibility of a heat-resistant gel-like substance to be applied on the metallic surface of the rockets or between the armor plating in such a way that when a pod is punctured, the gel expands and "plugs" the hole almost instantly. He also considers how to create the ejection system, but thinking about offensive applications.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 2101