_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1524 1525 [1526] 1527 1528 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5729860 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Repair and Rescue
« Reply #22875 on: January 12, 2014, 10:59:36 pm »

((I'm one of those crazies that differentiates.  Wyverns are the realistic sort of dragon that only has four limbs- two wings and two legs.  "Dragons" (I've always called them the "european variety") are your traditional four-legged two-winged fantasy dragons.  I personally prefer the latter, because the former look less awesome to me for whatever reason.

Before anybody jumps in to say it's stupid semantics, it's a categorization of dragon.  They're both dragons, just different.  Just like how a "truck" and "van" are both large vehicles, but are different.  Some people prefer one over the other, and it's simpler to say "truck" than "big car with a small enclosed cab and a large bed for holding stuff behind it".

Therefore, complaining about Skyrim having Wyverns does make sense- still pedantic, but not because of the name.))
((I'd say it's more like the division between "truck" and "automobile," because for me "dragon" includes everything from ampitheres to Eastern dragons to, well, Western dragons...but aside from that I agree.))

((P.S. My whole XCOM adventure, in three consecutive posts! I'm not sure if I passed 80k characters or just divided it badly.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22876 on: January 12, 2014, 11:41:25 pm »

((I like Terry Pratchett's view on it.  Somewhere- and I can't find the source after a quick Google- he basically said that both labels were bogus, and fiction is fiction is fiction.  In the end, they're all the same story.))
That's what I was trying to say

SETTINGS WITH BONAFIDE MAGIC, GODS, ETC ARE SCIFI
SCIFI IS JUST FANTASY THAT'S BETTER EXPLAINED
DONE))
((Wrong, so wrong. What the heck is wrong with you? Look at the Big Three--Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein. Three of the founders of science fiction, used hard science. With a few exceptions, not a scrap of "fantastic" elements in them. 90% of their stories were rigidly following scientific laws; heck, Heinlein calculated orbital vectors and such for The Rolling Stones! Many science fiction authors since then have followed in their footsteps, keeping their science fiction hard. How dare you say "Sci-Fi is just Fantasy that's better explained?
And the sci-fi that's just "fantasy in space with robots and lasers" or whatever is also that stuff that isn't explained.))
It appears I have commit hereticisy. Truly territroubling.
But still, generally fantasy follows internal rules, if not the laws of mathphysics. It's just that hard science books go to the trouble of keeping themselves accurate to the real world, while fantasy uses it's own rules, not the real world's, and often doesn't explain them.
In other news, thank you for showing me how to press a butthurt button. I know a lot now.
The hell did this argument start anyway? The pedantic is making my head sizzle.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22877 on: January 12, 2014, 11:46:41 pm »

((I think it started when I made a joke about mixing science fiction and fantasy under "fantasy" being punished by being bludgeoned by cyberpunk novels. Though now that I think about it, it's usually under science fiction. So, I could bludgeon them with LotR books if I felt mean, but most fantasy books would work.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #22878 on: January 13, 2014, 12:02:11 am »

Spoiler: XCOMMANDMENT (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:03:58 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #22879 on: January 13, 2014, 03:01:23 am »

"crap crap crap crap!"
leave radiation death zone post-haste
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22880 on: January 13, 2014, 04:47:21 am »

On that note, whats the GR universe version of the Infestation? (Examples include: Zerg, Aliens (From the movie of same name), Tyranids)
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #22881 on: January 13, 2014, 06:05:18 am »

On that note, whats the GR universe version of the Infestation? (Examples include: Zerg, Aliens (From the movie of same name), Tyranids)

((For one, put your OOC in double brackets. For another, if you meant ER universe, there isn't one. Nor does there need to be.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22882 on: January 13, 2014, 06:18:16 am »

((For one, put your OOC in double brackets. For another, if you meant ER universe, there isn't one. Nor does there need to be.))

((Well, there are the Altered, though they're theoretically extinct.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #22883 on: January 13, 2014, 06:19:28 am »

((That's not to say there couldn't be. The Altered aren't an infestation (at the moment, far as we know), and they were more of an Advancing Wall of Doom in their prime. And either the sharkmist or the earworm could have been a more literal infestation, had they not been contained.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22884 on: January 13, 2014, 07:25:51 am »

((Well, there are the Altered, though they're theoretically extinct.))
((Not entirely extinct. Ivan's still not dead.))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22885 on: January 13, 2014, 07:57:00 am »

((Well, apparently Ivan is not a "true" altered.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #22886 on: January 13, 2014, 08:00:08 am »

7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22887 on: January 13, 2014, 08:35:35 am »

((More often, when I alt-tab to the game, it doesn't open and instead I get a message box saying it has stopped working.
I don't really remember what happened when it crashed with the Steam Community browser, but it happened when I was trying to get back to the game. It...sorta froze and closed, I think?))

((Advice noted.))
Sig

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #22888 on: January 13, 2014, 08:37:20 am »

((Weren't there those fungus things that took over planets?))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22889 on: January 13, 2014, 08:58:51 am »

((Which? The Altered? No, those are...not really fitting definitions of life. They're more like synthflesh crossed with John Carpenter's thing.))
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 1524 1525 [1526] 1527 1528 ... 2101