_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5713961 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread: Mission 4 recruiting.
« Reply #2715 on: June 16, 2012, 05:08:20 pm »

((Oops.))
Thomsa runs back into the briefing room

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: June 16, 2012, 05:10:31 pm »

I see, thank you.

Incidentally, do you have any idea what that "thing" is?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2717 on: June 16, 2012, 05:15:26 pm »

All right, I think we're all here so lets begin.

>Okie dokie then, lets get started shall we.

> I don't suppose any of you criminals are history buffs? No? Can't say I'm surprised. Well, let me give you a quick run down of some basic information then. We're going to China-9; it's one of the original 47 colony planets back when Earth, thats Earth prime, not any of the Earth-number colonies, was still humanity's home, not just an Archive world. As such, China-9 is old, very very old. It has fallen into savagery and ruin a dozen times, mostly from internal conflict, and passed through the hands of any number of global dictators and regional warlords as it fluctuated between utopia and hellhole. The UWM brought a semblance of civilization to it during the Altered wars but it has since become a overcrowded urban hive in a constant state of semi-contained rebellion.

Everything on China-9 is built on the ruins of the past, new cities on the remains of old. It's not anywhere near a Silent world's level of build up, but parts of it could be mistaken for a Tomb world easily enough. Your mission involves getting into one of these ruins and retrieving or destroying a particular object. It's a black cube roughly 6 inches on either side and it is currently resting inside a vault under a rather nondescript office building. Simple right? Well, there are a few minor hitches.

Hitch one, the building, as well as  pretty much the entire city around it, are currently at the bottom of an artificial lake.  The city is quite old and was long since abandoned so they built a Hydroelectric dam down stream and ended up flooding the valley the target structure resides in. Now you may be thinking, with your tiny brains, that this isn't a problem at all. You have suits right? You're used to dealing with vacuum, this is just like. Except it's not. Being submerged is gonna mean that you won't be able to move as well or as fast as normal and weapons will behave differently. Ballistic weapons in particular will have their ranges greatly shortened, lasers will also be much shorter range since the water will cause the beam to break up and refract unpredictably, and I don't think I need to tell you that tesla weapons aren't gonna work whatsoever, unless of course you like frying yourself in the process.

Hitch two, the rebels. As I said, China-9's been in a constant state of revolt since...well some would say since day one. There's always some group trying to gain control of some pile of garbage or trying to get themselves just a little more garbage; they usually hide their garbage seeking behavior behind this or that lofty ideal but in the end it's all the same. Now, the reason why this mission is even happening is that the rebels are currently trying to locate the same artifact you are, and frankly that can not happen. They're currently advancing toward the artifact's location and I've projected that they'll be in the target structure by the time we get there. So be prepared to deal with them. They're not as well equipped as us-most of their gear is gonna be ancient, scavenged or cobbled together-but they've been fighting the UWM for hundreds of years and they've got quite good at it. They're smart, they're sneaky and they pull no punches. You've been warned.

Hitch three, Anti-air cannons. There are 4 of them, set up just beyond the Dam that flooded the city. By the time we get there it's almost certain they'll be under Rebel control. You're going to be going in hot with 4 other squads bound for other missions around the same area. Pray that they're more shootable then you. However, the problem isn't the landing so much as the evac. Evac shuttles are slower then the hot drop skeleton rigs and they've got almost no chance of escape if those guns are still online. Thats where the second squad comes in. You're going to be dropped of on top the the dam, repel down and then take out each of those guns, one at a time. That means fighting your way through whatever the rebels have guarding them.

Hitch four, You have to get to that vault and get the artifact before the Rebels do. I know I said that but allow me to impress upon you the seriousness of my statement. There are sensors in the vault, still transmitting after all these years. Those sensors are connected to the computers are a dozen or more battleships hanging above the planet. If those sensors reveal that the vault has been breached via a method other then the one you will be given, all those ships will fire upon the building. This will destroy the building. It will destroy the dam. It will destroy 3 cities around the general area and kill roughly 10 and a half million people. And it will also kill you. So yes, we've very much like that artifact back but we care a hell of a lot more about keeping it out of other people's hands.

Here are the maps we have for you.
Team A
Roof. Red square marks the entrance you'll use. 

Level 2. You'll come out in the Janitor's closet there. Stairway down is on the other side. 

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5, lobby

Level 6, the basement and vault

Team B.
The large gray mass here is the dam. Blue to the right of it is the lake where team A is, blue to the left is the river it blocks. Red are the cannons and black is the road that connects them.

And here are your points, Marked. You'll land a top the dam and go down it. They won't fire on you with the cannons, lest they bring the dam down and flood themselves.

So thats it. You can split yourselves off as you wish, A-team is going swimming, B-team is walking.  If you've got things to do, wills to write, plans to plan, or gods to pray to, nows the time. When you're ready head to stasis. Once we reach our destination I want you up and out of those pods, suited up and on the landing crafts ASAP. Get going.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 05:23:01 pm by piecewise »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2718 on: June 16, 2012, 05:16:48 pm »

I see, thank you.

Incidentally, do you have any idea what that "thing" is?
Unfriendly

((Soooo close. Bah. My internet just had to be down for part of today. Oh well.   :-\))

Travis cringed a little. This was certainly not the leader he was expecting.

Uh. No please. But I'll keep that in mind. Do you happen to have simulation equipment aboard this vessel?

(("Edit". Well, reading over the previous posts more closely, I'll gladly take someone's spot if they're willing to give it up.))
"Down the hall, follow the signs to the rec room."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: June 16, 2012, 05:18:01 pm »

Milno tapped his leg's armor and watched as Faith's face started to change.

"So, how is the living thing inside your mind going? Perfect, I guess, since the doctor never mentioned anything bad about the mutation within you."
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: June 16, 2012, 05:19:09 pm »

"How well equipped are the rebels? Also, Faith should probably have the best with her, seeing how she can go off the wall and start slaughtering people."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2721 on: June 16, 2012, 05:19:50 pm »

"I'm taking the land route. Team B."

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2722 on: June 16, 2012, 05:24:36 pm »

"How well equipped are the rebels? Also, Faith should probably have the best with her, seeing how she can go off the wall and start slaughtering people."

They're not as well equipped as us-most of their gear is gonna be ancient, scavenged or cobbled together-but they've been fighting the UWM for hundreds of years and they've got quite good at it. They're smart, they're sneaky and they pull no punches. You've been warned.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: June 16, 2012, 05:26:00 pm »

"What's the terrain for the land route? Will there be any significant variances?"

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: June 16, 2012, 05:31:11 pm »

((@GM: Would equipping the medium-range kit help the gauss rifle get a bit more range? I was thinking that if the barrel happened to be rifled then it would be so.

Also, do I have enough time to get that amp from Jim?

And finally, how much to protect Milno' central body area with those plates? Chestplate was three tokens, Helmet one but you didn't gave me a price for the one protecting the pelvis area. I want to check how much it would cost to protect the more important areas I can reattach the limbs back to even if Milno loses them.

The back plate is the part for the back of the chestplate? And do these also cover the abdomen?

EditEdit: How would the MkIII rocket-propelled system work in the water?))

"Team A. It seems the most dangerous part of the mission."
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 05:44:26 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: June 16, 2012, 05:34:23 pm »

Travis had been hanging just outside the briefing room, listening intently. He was somewhat glad he hadn't volunteered, there was no retreat for this team. If they weren't quick, they would all die. All ten of them. That was not to mention all the rebels armed with guns. He had been reading earlier mission briefings, and most of the enemies lacked numbers. These rebels would surely be plentiful.

Travis followed Steve's instruction, strolling his way to the rec room. He was apprehensive, these very same machines are what had caused...the incident. Its the whole reason he's here, doomed to death. There was no way he was going to survive 10 of these missions....

He was skilled with these machines, though. He would have to use them to get an advantage over his teammates, a leg up. For surely someone was going to die on these missions. It wasn't going to be him.

Travis fired up the simulation machines, and looked over the available simulations
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: June 16, 2012, 05:38:16 pm »

"I'll go on team A. My rifle should work a little better due to the extra chambers."
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: June 16, 2012, 05:40:19 pm »

Any backup team, however unlikely to be employed, Steve? Also, are the rocket pods completely useless underwater?

Now, the mission. The anti-air cannons would take some explosives to get offline, right? At least that'd be the easier way of dealing with those, I suppose. Now, the aquatic part of the mission - I guess the melee weapons (just not the monorazor, I think) and the field manipulators/amps would excel there.
Since I'm better at using guns, I guess I'd fare better with team B; but I'm ready to take the bullet in place of any of you, comrades, so you might want me to join team A.
What do you say, comrades?

((@Orb Really sorry, looks like my character won't be able to switch out now. The backup team might be issued, though. ))
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 05:41:51 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: June 16, 2012, 05:40:48 pm »

Team B, I'll be much more useful. Nik, I want you with me.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: June 16, 2012, 05:42:40 pm »

Milno tapped his leg's armor and watched as Faith's face started to change.

"So, how is the living thing inside your mind going? Perfect, I guess, since the doctor never mentioned anything bad about the mutation within you."
Faith shot Milno a glare.

"I'm fine, Milno. I was just discussing neurotransmitter resistance with the Doctor. Your concern for that is touching."

"But... I don't want to slaughter anyone.

...also, I'll be right back."

Taking off in a slight hurry, she headed straight for the Armory Master.

"Excuse me, I need a kinetic amplifier. Also...

What do you think our chances are? Did you hear about our current mission? The underwater vault and anti-air cannons? Do you have any advice for me?"

Go purchase kinetic amplifier, pester AM.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 2101