_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5727819 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Crushing dreams and skulls.
« Reply #11820 on: February 08, 2013, 06:55:32 am »

((For the rifle, I actually need the saber, not the arc. Firstly, the Arc seems to be on the heavy side, and I still need the rifle to be something of a typical infantry weapon. Second, I do need the containment field, to let the user just electrostab things with a tesla bayonet rather than aim in the general direction of the target and hope there are no better conducting things in the vicinity. Whether or not I end up using battery packs or a generator is yet to be decided.
(edit: I suppose on the other hand, if everything is fed from one power source, there is no reason NOT to use lightning instead of just the bayonet... apart from the difficulty aiming in melee range, I guess. Hm. I'll think about it. Cutting down the cost is also good investment of effort.)

For the gauntlet, which is the cheap alternative, I will indeed use the Arc. The added option to fry everything in sight a-la Force Lightning was why I called the design "evil". :P

Also also: I don't know whether PW will respond to this in any way, but from the descriptions of the tunnels, the shark mist and general events I'm starting to suspect he did read that novel I mentioned to him in PM... if it's true, the current mission might prove rather problematic..))
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:43:18 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11821 on: February 08, 2013, 06:57:47 am »

climb/fly onto a roof, scream COME GET ME! Through the suits speakers, wait
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11822 on: February 08, 2013, 07:10:57 am »

Take most powerful man-portable backpack power supply available, hook it up to a transformer, and set up an ion cannon by the wikipedia method. If it's within 2 orders of magnitude of enough power, assemble a spiral-shaped acceleration chamber that end pointing down the barrel, add the neutral gas chamber right after that, and set up a two-stage fuel tank to feed the accelerator with Hydrogen- one holds most of the fuel, the other holds enough for a three-second burst.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:14:55 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11823 on: February 08, 2013, 09:52:57 am »

((Okay. You know those suits with the ping pong balls on them for movies? The ones that track your motion and allow the computer dudes to copy that motion for CG effects? I wanted to do that, but have the grav manipulator track the balls, and generate a null-g field around them. So instead of having a large null-g field, I wanted to have lots of small ones.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11824 on: February 08, 2013, 10:06:24 am »

((Okay. You know those suits with the ping pong balls on them for movies? The ones that track your motion and allow the computer dudes to copy that motion for CG effects? I wanted to do that, but have the grav manipulator track the balls, and generate a null-g field around them. So instead of having a large null-g field, I wanted to have lots of small ones.))
((As far as I understood the way these things work, you'd probably need a manipulator for each of the balls. Plus you'd have to make sure the areas of effect all overlap, otherwise you'd have parts of your body under normal gravity and parts under zero-g. Your circulatory system would probably rather object to that.

Also, Motion Capture suits.

If you want to hurl yourself into the air and keep going, maybe you need something like an automatic Vector manipulator instead? Just programmed to give you a good metaphysical kick forward on request.

Though if you succeed with the ball thing, I might even try to make a Mjolnir. Nothing quite like an electrified kin-amped mallet that returns to your hand when you call it. :P))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11825 on: February 08, 2013, 10:20:52 am »

Since the TV story was not too interesting after all, Zephyris kinda spaced out for a while, thinking about various things. Like how all the decisions - or at least the last few ones - she made and deemed right at the time lead to this..predicament. Well, nothing could be done to change that now. Casting aside any regrets she shifted her focus back to the TV.

Zap through TV channels, nervously glance at Ivan every now and then
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11826 on: February 08, 2013, 10:47:15 am »

Rest until the pain fades then try the same thing again, without being hit this time.

Okay. We should continue.
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #11827 on: February 08, 2013, 11:27:36 am »

"Well, that didn't help much. Back to the TV, or maybe the medical staff knows what I picked up? Actually, yeah, the latter."

Go to the infirmary, and ask someone available about the artifacts.

"Ah, hello. I've picked up two strange objects recently, and I have cause to believe that at least one of them is medical in nature. I was wondering if you had seen things like them, by chance? Or if not, if there is a safe way to examine them without opening or using them?"

Show the artifacts to whoever takes their time
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11828 on: February 08, 2013, 12:38:14 pm »

Spawn 10 altered then start using katana and bolt action rifle on them.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11829 on: February 10, 2013, 01:35:23 am »

((huh))

Couldn't I use a transformer?

Well, that depends on the wattage of all this power. I mean, a billion volts can mean a lot of different things depending on the amps and stuff. I mean, stun guns can run at a million volts and not hurt you while a toaster at 240 volts can kill you. I assume, however, that in this case you'd need massive amounts of power for this to work, considering you're talking about accelerating a particle to near light speed.

But then again, Not a physicist so Fuck if I know, right?

Victor starts constructing his weapon.
If it isn't assembled correctly, dissemble and reassemble it until it is.

Heh, you know you rolled a natural five so all those modifiers were completely unneeded.

So yeah, you assemble it all super perfectly like some sort of gunsmith of the gods.

(The laser rifle has, in my mind, always been somewhat similar in design to the fallout laser rifle; ie a big boxy thing. The tesla sabre is pretty much just a handle with a metal spike coming out the top surrounded by a ring of little "claw" things.)

Now, as per what the altered look like, I keep some images that have some vague resemblance to what I imagine for them.
http://imgur.com/a/8lj5f
((edit: So the rifle would be something like this?
Okay.. hm, how the hell does the saber have a power cell powerful enough that fits in a handle? I mean, the tesla arc has a strength req of 5, evoking the image of something like the lightning guns from Matrix:Revolution. Unless it uses the same unidentified power cells the field manipulators use...
But good to know that it's a handle. I'm really looking into completely redesigning the concept and integrating the rifle and saber into one casing, with a generator and a capacitor bank for several different firing modes. That thing is gonna be expensive. Quite unlike my evil little project. >:)

As for the Altered, I think I need to kick the mutagens up a notch. More bloatings, more carapace, more everything. :P))

Anton Prime is still peeking out the window, electrolaser at the ready, when he's suddenly struck with another project idea. He looks around in indecision, unsure whether to keep performing the field test, or pursue the new prototype. On one hand, the test is important. On the other, the new project may be available sooner, and might serve as a decent proof-of-concept for the final device. He keeps trying to make himself be in two places at once for a few seconds. Then he remembers he's already got two clones of himself here, and faceplate-palms.

"Okay, I'm stupid. I don't have to do this when I can have myself do this."

Pause VR program. Spawn another clone of Anton next to him, same gear and everything. Exclude Anton Prime from simulation, Unpause VR, and have the encounter resolve in accelerated time. Switch to Tinker, bring up and study the recording of the Duel encounter while working.

Open new project file, HAL-006 "Red Hand".

Bring up a Hand Laser and a Tesla Arc. Devise a way to pair up the devices in the same manner as the electrolaser rifle, turning the "laser glove" into a forearm-covering gauntlet, full-arm piece, or gauntlet plus backpack if necessary to accomodate powersource and other of the Tesla Arc's systems. Perform preliminary testing.

((Cheap, cheerful, electrolasery. It basically just gives the Tesla Arc the advantage of being aimable, but that's still something! :) ))

So that battle could really go either way considering the terrain. Simulated 10 times your team would win 7 of them, because of the increased damage capacity of your weapons. Even with a non-fatal laser shot you can still electrocute them to death.

Alright now, this tesla gauntlet thing here: you're basically gonna need a custom "Head" for this thing. Because the head of the tesla arc is a giant tesla coil sort of thing. Also it's powersource is just a big ol' battery so it will run out fairly quickly, depending on the circumstances. And that battery is gonna cost as much as the tesla arc to buy, since they're basically just gonna take a tesla arc and tear the battery out for you.

climb/fly onto a roof, scream COME GET ME! Through the suits speakers, wait
You get up on the nearest roof and shout taunts at the vacant tow below. For  a long while you don't see or hear anything. Then a crash echos from the alley behind you, the hollow metal ring of a trashcan falling onto concrete.

Take most powerful man-portable backpack power supply available, hook it up to a transformer, and set up an ion cannon by the wikipedia method. If it's within 2 orders of magnitude of enough power, assemble a spiral-shaped acceleration chamber that end pointing down the barrel, add the neutral gas chamber right after that, and set up a two-stage fuel tank to feed the accelerator with Hydrogen- one holds most of the fuel, the other holds enough for a three-second burst.
Same thing as above, I'm honestly not sure if this is possible.

But also something else: Wouldn't it be very hard to make this beam of particles stay focused? Woudn't they start out as a beam but then break up and spray all over the place as they collide with other particles?

If you say so.
Go to the Rec room and collect the painting tools and supplies; return them to the armory.
Thank you for letting me borrow these. By the way, do you have any good books on field surgery or, let me think, psychological warfare and defending against it - not the propaganda kind, but the illusions/mind control one?
Talk to the Armory Master.

ADDED: ((@Sean Mirrsen Actually, if understand correctly, both the electrolaser rifle and gauntlet have the advantage of being (possibly) cheaper. That is, while in the ordinary tesla saber utilises a protective field (employed by the use of carefully calibrated automated field manipulator, I presume, which likely has to be costly) is used to contain the lightning-plasma-thing, in these the laser 'trail' is used to channel away the electrical mayhem. I also suggest using either the cutting laser batteries or cutting laser batteries upgraded to be rechargeable (+1 token, AFAIR) - they are so far the best known power source short of generators (offering about 240 total TPU per token in their unmodded variant).
Oh, and you might actually be better off with the tesla arc rather than with the saber.))

"Anti-mindfuck lit? Can't say I do, there's not a big market for it outside the corps." she taps her head "I know, you  start to forget that not everyone has to constantly worry about their minds being poisoned by alien this or that. But I could give you a few tips if you want. They won't make you some sort of mind Juggernaut but they might help."

Mo-cap suit.

Yeah...thats basically not gonna work with automanips, at least as you described it. Any reason you want to have so many little ones as opposed to one big one around you?

Since the TV story was not too interesting after all, Zephyris kinda spaced out for a while, thinking about various things. Like how all the decisions - or at least the last few ones - she made and deemed right at the time lead to this..predicament. Well, nothing could be done to change that now. Casting aside any regrets she shifted her focus back to the TV.

Zap through TV channels, nervously glance at Ivan every now and then
The tv flashes to static for a moment and a voice hisses out of it.

"THE FLESH IS WEAK."

It flicks back to normal a moment later, showing an ad about quality vegetable slicers.

You look back at Iva....He's not there. He's not there. Oh god oh god where is he.

OHGODHE'SGONNABERIGHTBEHINDMEOHGODICAN'TMOVE

Rest until the pain fades then try the same thing again, without being hit this time.

Okay. We should continue.
"We should do something about that." The doctors says, suddenly standing directly next to you.

"About what?"

"That." he says, and punches you right in the stomach. "Pain. Remove it. Much better that way. Minor problems, great advances. Yes."

"Well, that didn't help much. Back to the TV, or maybe the medical staff knows what I picked up? Actually, yeah, the latter."

Go to the infirmary, and ask someone available about the artifacts.

"Ah, hello. I've picked up two strange objects recently, and I have cause to believe that at least one of them is medical in nature. I was wondering if you had seen things like them, by chance? Or if not, if there is a safe way to examine them without opening or using them?"

Show the artifacts to whoever takes their time

The doctor you're showing them too looks at them for a minute.

"Not sure about the bottle but that black thing is probably harmless. I think I've seen it's like before...somewhere."

Spawn 10 altered then start using katana and bolt action rifle on them.

Uh.  Well you get off one bullet/one slash before you are literally eaten alive in several chunks.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11830 on: February 10, 2013, 02:00:15 am »

Well, the particles stay stable enough for two primary reasons. The first, according to the wikipedia article, is that the chamber of gas neutralizes the charges on the hydrogens, reducing soread due to ionization pulling/pushing. The second is that the particles are moving at near lightspeed, so there's not much time to spread out.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11831 on: February 10, 2013, 02:34:34 am »

((So it's mostly just a "lower tech level" than the saber then? A big conventional battery and a simple tesla projector instead of the whatever compact tech the saber uses?))

"Hm. This might be a tricky one."

Explode the Tesla Arc, focusing on the tesla projector. Examine the design of the projector and attempt to construct an insulated tesla coil on the forearm of the "gauntlet", and a miniaturized version of the projector head attached to the back of the hand. Split the battery off and make it a backpack version, connected with a wire running along the arm and down to the battery, affixed to the arm with straps. Make sure to insulate the gauntlet as thoroughly as possible to minimize the risk of the arc attracting to it.

((the whole design is something like this, I guess, but perhaps with more housing for the coil. I'm actually a little confused as to how doesn't the arc normally arc back to the user if it's just a tesla coil... chalk that up to charge differential, I guess...... still not sure. :P

edit: also, ouch. I know the mission people think they're on a timer, but they really should have figured out to avoid all contact with the darn stuff by now. I mean, they saw the sharkmist and ran away from it, now they see a whole cavern made out of something like it and they plunge right in... how is anything that seems to devour stuff on a molecular level seem like a good idea to touch is beyond me. :) ))

edit2: In the meantime, Anton queues up some performance tests using Duel, studying the results of different encounters with one side of the conflict equipped with electrolasers.

• Standard battle encounter - have the computer find instances of in-atmosphere battle encounters between UWM and other armed forces. Equip the losing side of the conflict with electrolaser rifles instead of any standard equivalent tech and compare outcomes.
  • Vacuum battle encounter - as above, but in vacuum. See if just having a melee energy weapon coupled with the primary firearm confers any benefits outside of the electrolaser effects.
  • Nonlethal encounter - have the computer find instances of armed forces being required to nonlethally subdue a group of (armed) individuals, possibly with civilians as obstacles. Compare results between using minimum-power electrolasers as ranged tazers, and whichever method is standard procedure for such occasions.

Finally, have the computer (or Steve) estimate the cost-effectiveness of using electrolaser weaponry based on the results of the tests.

((Basically, Anton wants to acquire as much test data as possible to have Electrolasers (or Arc Rifles, if you want) added as standard gear in the Armory and elsewhere. The Gungnir is going to be expensive-ish at 8 token (Rifle 2, Saber 5, Upgrades 1), so he wants confirmation that it's a useful weapon for its cost before he pursues building it. The error of diving into prototype building before extensive research has taught him well.))
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:20:17 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11832 on: February 10, 2013, 03:03:11 am »

((Oh shit. Has Ivan finally gone insane? Quickly! Everyone, get behind a door!))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11833 on: February 10, 2013, 04:01:11 am »

((Well I could replace the magnets with an auto-magnetic shunt that creates really strong magnetic fields. If that's available ))

See if an auto magnetic manipulator exists that could reduce the power consumption by creating the magnetic fields
required in the accelerator
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11834 on: February 10, 2013, 04:36:18 am »

scream "i know your there you rat bastard" over the speakers at maximum comprehensible volume, wait for it to rysh me then fire a single second burst frim my flamer to stop it charging then rocket hover around it then rocket boost tackle it off the roof towards the fuel station
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 2101